Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

mod path for 02 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mod path for 02 GT

ok one of my best friends is getting a 02 GT, theres no accounting for taste, just kidding, anyway he mostly wants sound and some speed, i already told him to get some LT's with X pipe and no cats. that will give him the growl on take off and gurgle pop on decel. and i told him a CAI and tune, but after that im lost with fords. he doesn't want any FI or nitrous, and doesn't expect to keep up with me, he's also a young guy with a small mod budget, so nothing expensive, but our other buddy that he works with is getting a 350z and he doesn't want to get yanked by him. i used to have a G35 and i yanked stock GT's all day in that. which is why he is worried.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got a better idea.

sell that slow thing and get an older ls1 or lt1 car and be faster
Old 03-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
i got a better idea.

sell that slow thing and get an older ls1 or lt1 car and be faster
yeah i had him sold on the idea of getting a 4th gen, but his dad's a ford guy and he eventually swayed him back, but after he loses a ton of races to me we'll see. lol but really all i want to know is from the stang guys, what should he look into for mods, and what brands they recommend
Old 03-15-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the jester 812
yeah i had him sold on the idea of getting a 4th gen, but his dad's a ford guy and he eventually swayed him back, but after he loses a ton of races to me we'll see. lol but really all i want to know is from the stang guys, what should he look into for mods, and what brands they recommend
Gears 4:10's minimum
Tune
Intake JLT or K&N will work fine
Exhaust magnaflow with ARH or Kooks headers/midpipe
Sticky tires and a shifter.
Run EVERYONE from a dig. if you roll race with that car your asking to get whooped.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:44 PM
12 Second Club

He wants to make a 2v fast, for cheap, and without any sort of forced induction or spray? I think he damn near eliminated all options right there. Those things don't go fast naturally aspirated for cheap.

I'd say build the rear up, slather it in bolt-ons, then add a set of cams. He's got mid to low 12 second potential there. Then again, some rear end work, drag radials, bolt-ons and a 100 shot will take him a lot further. I don't see the reason to shun boost either. Used blowers are routinely going for $2,000 and under.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Launching!

well he's a young kid, and he has seen me blow up more than my share of trannys and rear and one engine, and knows he cant afford to replace any major parts like that. thank you dyno tune i will write down your list and tell him about it, i bet the gear will give him a nice boost in take off by themselves.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 AM
***Repost Police***

LTs, new plenum, 75MM TB, CAI, LTs, good exhaust, and a tune. ~280rwhp teamed up with 4.10s and a good tire will make for a pretty fun car. But I'd say tell him to get an '01 Cobra or something else 4v.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The 2V is difficult car to make fast without some serious coin.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
LTs, new plenum, 75MM TB, CAI, LTs, good exhaust, and a tune. ~280rwhp teamed up with 4.10s and a good tire will make for a pretty fun car. But I'd say tell him to get an '01 Cobra or something else 4v.
i tried to talk him into something else, he cant afford a while lot, i mean in my opinion a 4th gen lt1 camaro would be a better option, but i think he's going for looks and sound over performance. so i told him what everyone on here has said, and he is thinking of going with full exhaust ans probably and intake and tune, he'll probably get his butt whupped by out friend with the g35. i mean the g35's put to the wheels almost as much power as the 02 gt made at the crank. but oh well its his money to waste as he see's fit. thanks everyone for the input. i'll pass everything along.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:34 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

First, and most important mod. You can find them at Autozone or O-Reillys cheap:

Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Old 03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

thats great seriously NineBall encouraging words!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Launching!

seriously, i had him convinced to get a 4th gen f-bod, he wanted mine. i was looking for a decent vette, but i have only had the camaro for a few months and the wife was throwing a fit about changing cars too fast. so i had to back out and then his dad talked him into a mustang, and in all honesty this guy almost killed himself in a v6 dakota, and does burnouts in it every time he leaves my house, he's 20 and very immature he doesn't need anything with real power. he is better off in a 2v GT with an intake and exhaust.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

wtf looks i would rather have the camaro than the mustang now cobras those are a different story
Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wantsaws.6
wtf looks i would rather have the camaro than the mustang now cobras those are a different story
man, theres no accounting for taste. i mean half the guys in here drive mustangs, they must like how they look, and god forgive me the longer i hang out in here and watch those you tube vids the more i want a cobra, and if the price gets to a range where i like it i may get one. but if any of my uncles or dad caught my in one something like that
Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM

Wow, I guess some people can't figure out that some people buy cars for other reasons that just how fast it is (like looks, what they like for an interior, etc). It's easier to make a 2V GT as fast as an LS1 than it is to make an LS1 look like a GT for example.

I'd tell him to check out SVTperformance. There are a few very impressive 2V GT over there that are all motor, and some of them bolt-on.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

ok one of my best friends is getting a 02 GT, theres no accounting for taste, just kidding, anyway he mostly wants sound and some speed, i already told him to get some LT's with X pipe and no cats. that will give him the growl on take off and gurgle pop on decel. and i told him a CAI and tune, but after that im lost with fords. he doesn't want any FI or nitrous, and doesn't expect to keep up with me, he's also a young guy with a small mod budget, so nothing expensive, but our other buddy that he works with is getting a 350z and he doesn't want to get yanked by him. i used to have a G35 and i yanked stock GT's all day in that. which is why he is worried.
Guy in my town has Orange 40th anniversary GT with Xpipe no cats and Flow master mufflers sounds awesome on stock manifolds and 4.10 gears he comes through neighborhood in like 1st alltime.

If he got 5speed tell him get some gears like 4.10s

If his dad is Ford guy tell him 03 04 cobra instead HAH.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

If he's young and doesn't have much $$....SCRATCH THE LONG TUBE HEADER IDEA!.

IMO....

CAI ~$150
Alum DS ~$150
Upper plenum ~$?
A/M TB ~$150
4.10s + install ~$600
Custom Dyno Tune ~$300 if he has the handheld

with a good tire....He'll see low 13s.

Now....As for your comments about G35s and 350Z's...I have a VERY hard time believing you 'killed' New edges all day long assuming both were stock. Your avg. 350Z (slightly quicker than a G35) is upper 13 car...that is spot on with a new edge GT. Aside from the 07+'s which are mid 13s.

Also..for those bashing the guy on looks and taste...come on man......if everyone had the same taste it would be a boring world....aside from everyone driving a car that looks like it should be at the bottom of a lake or on a Disney/Pixar film.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Now....As for your comments about G35s and 350Z's...I have a VERY hard time believing you 'killed' New edges all day long assuming both were stock. Your avg. 350Z (slightly quicker than a G35) is upper 13 car...that is spot on with a new edge GT. Aside from the 07+'s which are mid 13s.
I was thinking the same thing. I think alot of stories like this happen when the driver of the car that got it's *** kicked started in the wrong gear, or was an auto that either started in a dead spot, or took too long to downshift.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
First, and most important mod. You can find them at Autozone or O-Reillys cheap:

lol.... thats messed up..lol..

Quick Reply: mod path for 02 GT