Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

01 SVT vs 98 z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 01 SVT vs 98 z28

So there is this race going down between this kid and i. He owns a 01 convertible svt cobra against my bone stock z28 and i was wondering how close will the race be? or will he blow the doors off of me?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

what's done to the cobra?

they aren't all that impressive stock
Old 04-06-2009, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
what's done to the cobra?

they aren't all that impressive stock
stock
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

If he can drive, he will hang until 100 or so
Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

How are you going to do it? From a dig, you can open up some whoop ***, but you'd have your hands full from a roll. He can throw it down a gear and ****** out pretty hard. If you do roll, find a sweet spot for your car. With stock gears and stall, you've got to.

If you run from a dig, the advantage is yours. Just make sure you hook and let the 4L60 do it's thing. He's got to worry about launching that 5-speed and nailing every shift. I don't see you having any trouble from a stop.

Could you get this on tape? It's hard to find LS1 vs N/A Cobra videos these days.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x2 on the vids.

He weighs around 100 lbs more than you (2001 SVT Cobra Vert is 3560 according to Edmunds) and is making less hp and tq than you unless they were underrated like your car (rated 320/317). Based on that, I'd say you should take him from a dig without a problem but he'll make up some of the difference in those numbers because of your auto from a roll. I would think this will be a very good race if you can both drive.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Depends on his driving......could be at your bumper or slightly ahead (pending race type/conditions) or he can get his rear wasted.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
x2 on the vids.
Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Could you get this on tape? It's hard to find LS1 vs N/A Cobra videos these days.
I will get this on vid, but the camera that i will be using is my friends and it uses the tapes, like D-cell battery size tapes, and for some reason dosent want to hook up to my computer , im guessing it needs software that i dont have.

How are you going to do it? From a dig, you can open up some whoop ***, but you'd have your hands full from a roll. He can throw it down a gear and ****** out pretty hard. If you do roll, find a sweet spot for your car. With stock gears and stall, you've got to.

If you run from a dig, the advantage is yours. Just make sure you hook and let the 4L60 do it's thing. He's got to worry about launching that 5-speed and nailing every shift. I don't see you having any trouble from a stop.
im pretty shure we are going to do both, if anything it will be a roll, the kid got his car a little over 3 or 4 months ago
Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

Like some old Flintstone *** camcorder. Find your sweet spots next time you're out. I remember my car could break the tires at 35mph with the stock gears. From 40-50, it was a dead fish. Beyond that it pulled pretty good. If you're in a dead spot and can't downshift, you'll be cussin' up a storm.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Like some old Flintstone *** camcorder. Find your sweet spots next time you're out. I remember my car could break the tires at 35mph with the stock gears. From 40-50, it was a dead fish. Beyond that it pulled pretty good. If you're in a dead spot and can't downshift, you'll be cussin' up a storm.
yea its like a 3 to 4 year old camcorder that i can hook up to the computer but i get this message that i need some software, im going to try to figure out what i can do about the video.

Rolling in first gear is my sweet spot,i can easly break loose the tires, they will spin half a second and i hook and im gone
Old 04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Update!!!!!!!!
just raced the guy, didnt get it on tape but we are going to race again,due to his girl not wanting to be in the car anymore lol

The first race we did was from a dig and we spun pretty bad at the begging, i launched her around 1500 rpms and it sounded like he did the same, first gear we were pretty much even, i had a little lead, by 2nd i was pulling and 3rd i had him around a half of a car length, we shut it down near the end of that. All the other races he kept missing a gear and i decided to end it for being at the location too long.

We will race again and ill get the camera next time we race.

Last edited by camAro242; 04-08-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camAro242
Update!!!!!!!!
just raced the guy, didnt get it on tape but we are going to race again,due to his girl not wanting to be in the car anymore lol

The first race we did was from a dig and we spun pretty bad at the begging, i launched her around 1500 rpms and it sounded like he did the same, first gear we were pretty much even, i had a little lead, by 2nd i was pulling and 3rd i had him around a half of a car length, we shut it down near the end of that. All the other races he kept missing a gear and i decided to end it for being at the location too long.

We will race again and ill get the camera next time we race.
Sounds like a close a good race.

POst this in the SRK section.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Sounds like a close a good race.

POst this in the SRK section.
+1...
what's with all these people "missing gears"? I have never missed a gear racing even on the stock shifter in most cars....knock on wood.....

Quick Reply: 01 SVT vs 98 z28