Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

How much MPG do you think I gained?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How much MPG do you think I gained?

I deleted my windshield wiper fluid reservoir (which was full and felt kind of heavy, in retrospect I could have just... drained it. I wanted to clean it up, anyway), as well as my back seats, including the bench and seatbelt assembly thing. I removed the spare tire and jack as well. I was hoping for 0.5MPG gain from this (assuming, theoretically, the same driving style/RPM/speed).
Old 03-24-2017, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a prius
Old 03-24-2017, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Why do all those things to gain a measly .5 mpg? So now you can have no more than one passenger, can't wash your windshield on the go, can't replace a flat, all for .5 mpg? Backwards thinking...
5.0LsX makes a point.....
Best mileage pointer? Keep your foot out of it... So why do you own a Camaro (or Firebird)??
Old 03-28-2017, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't use the windshield wiper spray on any car, ever, so that was a no-brainer for me. The backseats will go back in eventually. I'll buy a more fuel efficient car down the road, but right now this is my DD. I'd rather clean vomit with my tongue than own a Prius, but something along those lines in the future as a DD so this can be my weekend toy, again.

Meanwhile, I need to squeeze as much MPG as I can out of this car. I'm not going to remove anything that is safety-related like a sway-bar, but I don't need backseats in the near future.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Your biggest gains will be from making your engine/drivetrain as efficient as possible. Stripping parts out of your car will have minimal effect, unless the weight adds up into the hundreds. See where you can improve the exhaust system, keep the tires aired up to max permissible psi, keep it clean(a dirty car makes more aerodynamic drag), and mostly, keep your foot out of it as much as possible.

Quick Reply: How much MPG do you think I gained?