Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

What do i need to do to sell a bike in Maryland?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do i need to do to sell a bike in Maryland?

I am about to sell my 07 Yamaha R1. Questions are: What do I need to do to transfer the title? Is this a one day turn around? And what is the estimated cost of this transaction. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, in PA at least:
1. Get the money from the buyer.
2. You then take the vehicle title, with buyer in tow, to your local notary public and have them assist with the title transfer. Make sure you both have ID (driver's licenses). You need to declare how much the seller has paid for the bike to the notary (they will take your word on this) so that the buyer can pay the appropriate state sales tax.
3. The buyer will also need to pay title and transfer fees. He/she gets a temp registration and tag so the bike can be on the road immediately (provided he/she has proof of insurance).
4. Make sure to contact your insurance agent and have the bike removed from your policy.

Unless you've agreed otherwise, the whole thing shouldn't cost you a red cent. Again, this is the process in another state.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

i guess its just like buying or selling a car, i dont see what it would be any different...
Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
i guess its just like buying or selling a car, i dont see what it would be any different...
But you guessed? Do you know or not?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same as switching a auto title for PA
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

hey how about u make it easy and call the MVA.... just a thought hmmm
Old 01-09-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PSU 98
Well, in PA at least:
1. Get the money from the buyer.
2. You then take the vehicle title, with buyer in tow, to your local notary public and have them assist with the title transfer. Make sure you both have ID (driver's licenses). You need to declare how much the seller has paid for the bike to the notary (they will take your word on this) so that the buyer can pay the appropriate state sales tax.
3. The buyer will also need to pay title and transfer fees. He/she gets a temp registration and tag so the bike can be on the road immediately (provided he/she has proof of insurance).
4. Make sure to contact your insurance agent and have the bike removed from your policy.

Unless you've agreed otherwise, the whole thing shouldn't cost you a red cent. Again, this is the process in another state.
actually on a car that is true but on a bike your insurance doesn't transfer over to the bike even if you already have a bike. you'll have to have a policy in place for the bike to get registered in pa.