Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Racing Schools In the Area!!??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Schools In the Area!!??

I would like to take a high performance driving course this summer and was curious if anyone on here had any experience with any in the area. I have tried searching but cant find too much other than the Skip Barber for an option. I would like to take a 1-2 course not driving my car in a racing type driving course. Anybody have any advice or suggestions? I live in Upstate NY but am willing to drive to places in NY/NJ/CT/MA/RI

I figured the next big mod for me is going to be "drivers" mod

Thanks,
Evan
Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

I95 Late at night!! Jk.. I wouldnt mind doing something like that also.. Would be fun
Old 02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did skip barber driving school when i was 18 at limerock park in CT. It was alot of fun and taught me a lot about car control, they have you push the limits so you can find were they are. i know its probably saved me from at least a few accidents so it was well worth it. is this the kind of class you were thinking about?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts

Rumor has it New Jersey Motorsports park will be starting a corvette sponsored driving school sometime this spring.

www.NJMP.com
Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

i highly recommend skip barber.....i did the 3 day race school/2 lapping days and the formula dodge series

they do driving/racing schools at lime rock,ct. njmp, summit point, wv.

all depends on where you wanna go, check out there site for more info, skipbarber.com

-brandon
Old 02-03-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheGimp711
I would like to take a high performance driving course this summer and was curious if anyone on here had any experience with any in the area. I have tried searching but cant find too much other than the Skip Barber for an option. I would like to take a 1-2 course not driving my car in a racing type driving course. Anybody have any advice or suggestions? I live in Upstate NY but am willing to drive to places in NY/NJ/CT/MA/RI

I figured the next big mod for me is going to be "drivers" mod

Thanks,
Evan
you should look into doing HPDE's (high performance driving experience) with a racing orginaziation in your area.

its like a driving school in that you get instruction and class time but you also get to drive your car, at your own pace, on the track to put what you learned in class into perspective. not to mention its lots of fun.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
i highly recommend skip barber.....i did the 3 day race school/2 lapping days and the formula dodge series

they do driving/racing schools at lime rock,ct. njmp, summit point, wv.

all depends on where you wanna go, check out there site for more info, skipbarber.com

-brandon
This is definitely one of the things i look forward to putting under my belt soon, but god damn thats expensive :<
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nhra_crazy
I95 Late at night!! Jk.. I wouldnt mind doing something like that also.. Would be fun
**** that... im with you... I95 at 3 am hahaha
Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are a ton of HPDE's put on by Porsche and Bimmer club as well as Skip Barber at NJMP.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Teching In

I do want to take that type of driving class. I am just unsure in which class I would actually want to take. There are 1 day and 2 day driving school class, intro to racing, advanced car control and a few miata cup racing class. The prices vary greatly from around $600 to over $3000.
I would like to take a course that teaches car control, maybe a slalom, and teaches pushing cars on the track...

Thanks for the help guys,
Evan
Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

driving schools are great but usually its ALOT more money then doing an HPDE. You will learn a TON at either of them. I would recommend doing an HPDE or two to get the basics down, then attend a driving school to further cement what your HPDE instructors tought you.

check out this link for driving clubs in your area

http://www.autox4u.com/schedule.htm
Old 02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

a few years ago BMW had a free driving course at the former wheymouth(sp?) naval air station. my uncle who lives in abbington called me up and so I drove up to go check it out with him. it was a blast, started off as the passenger with an instructor driving then you got to switch seats and you progressed from a basic 3series to a z3 and then an m3. I couldnt believe bmw let us beat on their cars like that for free. I would love to go to a driving school but whenever I get that kind of free cash it goes into my car
whats this HPDE you speak pf alwaysinboost?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

HPDE's are orginazied 'racing schools' that allow you to drive your car, with instruction, on an open track. they group people by their skill level and experience. all beginners run with an instructor until they get the OK to go solo... thats when the real fun starts.

Thats it in a nutshell. Let me see if I can get a better description from one of the orginaziations I run with.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

here is a better description:

http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm
Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheGimp711
I do want to take that type of driving class. I am just unsure in which class I would actually want to take. There are 1 day and 2 day driving school class, intro to racing, advanced car control and a few miata cup racing class. The prices vary greatly from around $600 to over $3000.
I would like to take a course that teaches car control, maybe a slalom, and teaches pushing cars on the track...

Thanks for the help guys,
Evan
Start simple with a track experience day and go from there. No need to spend the full $5k nut on a licensing class when you are unsure of the basics.

I would also suggest visiting your local SCCA region's auto crosses. Regular regional events will have experienced memebrs that can ride along with you and give tips and that you can get rides with to pick up a few pointers. It is the cheapest and most frequent form of training I have ever found.

Once you get into it a little and have some of the basics of sight line, steering, and brake/throttle control, then worry about looking into more advanced training if you are still interested.

It is like anything else, build a solid foundation of fundamentals and the possibilities expand from there.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Skip Barbers program is very good, I worked there from 95-00. I got to do a few of the programs for free. But it is damn expensive, like $3500 + for the 3 day program.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Check out Bertil Roos @ Pocono raceay
Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by alwaysinboost
here is a better description:

http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm
sweet thanks!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by subarubill96
i did skip barber driving school when i was 18 at limerock park in CT.
I did that at the same age & it was amazing! I plan on going back this year and doing the 3-day indy school!