"Stock Heat Extractor" Mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "Stock Heat Extractor" Mod

Alright guys so here we go.

In this thread/ hopefully soon to be sticky i plan on explaining to my best ability how to do the "Stock Heat Extractor" Mod. its quite simple you just have to be steady handed and take your time.

Experience level: Average Joe.

Time to Complete: Without Paint- 2 hours.
With Paint- Only God knows.

Necessary Tools Needed:Pliers (of any type), Dremel Tool, Rotozip, Sandpaper, Flat Head Screwdriver, Bondo, Primer, Paint Clear, Two Hands, A Go-for boy, Digital Camera and the most important of all Alcohol. O yea and a 1993-1997 Chevy Camaro (well atleast the hood)

Step One:
On the driver side of your car on the inside you will notice a pull handle that looks like a car with a hood open. grab handle and pull. untill you hear a "pop"

Step Two:
Get out of car, walk to the front locate the lever under the center of your hood, and pull up on lever while assisting the hood up.

Step Three:

If you had to read Step One and Step Two, Turn your computer off sell your car to somebody else and go buy either a mustang or a civic.

Step Four:
With your hood open you will notice two sets of Four studs/nuts. right about where your exhaust manifolds would be. take the above said pliers and grip the nuts firmly and rotate counter-clockwise untill they are no longer on the stud.

Step Five:
Once all 8 Nuts are off, lower your hood enough to be able to grab the vent while still reaching your hand under the hood. this is where the Go-For boy will come into play while he holds the hood. place your hand under the vent and litely smack it with the palm of your hand to pop the vent out ontop of the hood.

Step Six:
When both Vents are out of the car take them to your workshop, table, counter, workbench, dining room table, whichever you feel is most suitable for your situation. and use the flat head screwdriver to pop out the fake vents. you might have to go in from the back to push the little tabs off to make is easier to pull out.

Step Seven: This is where things get a little messy
take the Rotozip with the carving drill bit. and carve the area where the fake vent was. depending on how careful and steady handed you are i would leave about 1/8-1/16 inch gap from the edge. remember its easier to sand it down then it is to add material to it. IN MY OPINION DO NOT CUT OUT THE EDGES WITH THE ROTOZIP if you do skip to Step Nine.

Step Eight:
If you went the same route i did, take the dremel tool and the 1/2 inch sanding circle. it should have sandpaper on the outside of it. and slowly run that towards the corner and thatll give you a real nice smooth even corner.

Step Nine: right now you should look back and think what did i do to myself.
take the sandpaper and smooth out the rough edges. If, and only if you are extremely careful use the dremel tool to speed up the processand smooth everything out untill you cannot see any bumps, dips, dents or anything but a straight edge. once you get that straight edge you are pretty much done.

(OPTIONAL) Step Ten:
Lay a smooth THIN layer of bondo or glazing putty over the edge that was touched with a tool

Step Eleven:
Sit back for and hour or so, kick your cat around and have a beer.

Step Twelve:
take a fine grit somewhere less the 320 to smooth the bondo down to a perfectly flat surface, wipe all residue off with a damp clothe, and wait about 5 minutes to ensure complete dryness.

Step Thirteen:
Take a can of Primer and lay a few coats.

Step Fourteen:
Wait about 15 minutes lay a coat of color whatever color your little heart desires.

Step Fifteen:
enjoy another cold one, and go kick your cat some more. you could replace cat with Dog, Ferret, Lizard, Tiger, Son, Daughter, Wife. etc. etc. etc.

Step Sixteen:
lay a coat of clear coat over the entire piece. close up shop and go to sleep.

Step Seventeen:
Pray that the pieces dont fall throughout the night, or no poor people come and think they are candy in a store, remove the pieces and lay on the HUGE Freaking holes in your hood. ( <im not explaining how to lay the damn scoops in the hood) screw the nuts back onto the studs.

Step Eighteen: THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!!!!
look at your Go-For boy and repeat these words " Thanks for all your ******* help, damn i had to do everything myself. Now go see what your mother needs help with you ******" < it worked for my dad and now i see where im at in life.

Step Nineteen:
Have another cold beer in celebrations to you completion

Step Twenty:
Take ALOT of pictures on post them onto www.LS1Tech.com

Well guys i hope this helped you out with this mod. if you have any questions or comments pm me or post it, if you have any concerns or problems with it i really dont care i did it, didnt have any problems and it looks damn good. lol jp

im open for all and any type of advice/criticism.

THANKYOU!!!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was funny. i did enjoy a beer while reading this.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha. the greatest part is with the vents cut out on the 93-97 youll notice about a 20 degree drop. two other guys did it and they can vouch for it. i also have pics posted up in the apperance section on here. under "Fake Hood Scoops?"
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just saw the pictures. good job.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks man.