Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Plug #7 getting wet with gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plug #7 getting wet with gas

Alright so my car passed the leakdown test so i know my internals are good. So now my problem is either fueling or ignition related. Plug 7 is getting wet with gasoline. Spark is good and the wire is good. Could it be that all i have to do is lean out cylinder 7 or could something else be causing the problem?

*edit* injectors flow tested, matched, and cleaned recently. all are in working order.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Come on guys nobody nobody has any thoughts on this one?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Just because an injector flows properly doesn't mean it isn't hung open. It will still flow if it's hung. Was it tested to open and close? I would pick up one injector and replace #7. I know of one dude that is selling a full set for $25 on here. joshp14 is his s/n. I would try that first. I can't think of what else it could be. just my .02.
Josh
Old 05-31-2009, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

we swapped injectors around. we put an injector from a cylinder whose plug wasn't getting wet on #7 and the plug was still getting wet. so i thought i could rule out injector failure.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C_Rules
we swapped injectors around. we put an injector from a cylinder whose plug wasn't getting wet on #7 and the plug was still getting wet. so i thought i could rule out injector failure.
Yup, probably. Let me do a little research.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:10 AM
Launching!

have you changed the coil packs around? Bad coil pack could cause the plug not to fire. Also, my buddy says it could be the ECM malfunctioning causing the injector to fire when it isn't supposed to. Also check the wiring, Could be grounding/shorting out causing the injector to fire. Hope this helps, keep me posted.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

its an lt1 so no coil packs. ecm has been swapped to check but still the same issue. the harness has been tested and it is good, 12 volts to ground, and the harness itself.

maybe its the opti but it is an aftermarket msd unit. but you never know.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C_Rules
its an lt1 so no coil packs. ecm has been swapped to check but still the same issue. the harness has been tested and it is good, 12 volts to ground, and the harness itself.

maybe its the opti but it is an aftermarket msd unit. but you never know.
ooo I was thinking ls1, sorry. I'm at a loss too. I'll keep looking
Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

okay got an update. so i decided to look over the logs real carefully and the problem is mostly at idle and dfco cells 16 and 18. plus a little bit in cell 15 not sure what range cell 15 is for but that could probably be fixed by some VE tuning anyway.... i said to myself let me try to do the cheapest and easiest thing to see what happens which would be mess with the fuel trim at idle for cylinder 7. i took out 5% of fuel and logged it to my weekly car show. at first it was looking shitty but after a couple of minute and the computer got settled low and behold the problem got better from what I could see while looking at my datalogger at stops. went from LTLTs in the 150s to a steady 140. all was looking good. i was like **** yeah!

on the drive home i said let me log it again. LTLTs were now at 152 and I was PISSED! so i get home turn the car off and open up the hood to put on the battery saver. i then notice something is missing. somehow the car blew off plug on the valve cover. i was like WTF how did this happen? anyway i assume that the car blew it off early on the way home and that was causing the lean condition again. going to get a new plug to test it out again.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

okay got a new oil filler cap. decided to log the car and problem fixed!!!! split blms gone. now both banks are really close to eachother. just need to lean out cylinder 7 1% more to be spot on. both cylinder banks are lean at idle though but i think it's because i advanced timing across the board. i like running speed density tunes better so ill just fix that through some ve tuning.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Launching!

oil filler cap? seriously? wow. Congrats on figuring it out, I would have never guessed.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by weeble1
oil filler cap? seriously? wow. Congrats on figuring it out, I would have never guessed.
lol the oil filler cap was not the cause of my issue. it was the reason why after i fixed it by trimming cylinder 7 down 5% the log was still showing a big split.