Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Got to drive a C6 Z06 the other night - my review and story

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smile Got to drive a C6 Z06 the other night - my review and story

THE STORY

As my neighbor was leaving our house the other night after talking to my brother he goes, "Go get your brother and come over the house; I have something I want to show you." So he gets me and we walk over there. He tells us he's got something under a car cover and wants us to try to guess what it is before he takes the cover off. Garage goes up and in about half a second I see it's a C6 Z06 (you can see the scoop on the hood and you can't exactly miss a C6 Vette under a fitted cover ). He tells me his brother just bought it new (2009) and he's keeping it there for him with his own Vette (late 80s, ZZ4 motor with nitrous). The Z06 was yellow, by the way.

We're checking it out and I'm telling him it's basically my dream car but I can't afford one and he goes, "Well you've been in one before, right?" I say I've checked them out at dealerships and car shows but never been for a ride in one. His response is, "Well I'll go grab the key and we'll go for a ride, and you can just drive it yourself." I played it off cool but I was PUMPED. He gives me the key, I hit the button to start it up and pull it out of the garage, he hops in the passenger seat and we're off for a quick ride around town.

We get out onto the main street in first and he goes, "Give it some gas!" so I punch it at about 20-25 mph. Traction control is on (according to the readout) but the car goes sideways halfway down the road until I let off. ZERO traction in first in this thing and I guess that traction control doesn't do much (it said "ON"...). We get to a straightaway and I drop to third at about 50 then punch it. Obviously I should have gone to second, or even a quick first blip because the gearing is so long but it's not my car, I've never driven one before, and I'm not gonna be the one to wreck it into a tree. Regardless of the low RPM, it pulls strong right up to 90ish where I let off, just getting into the powerband. We swing around another road and I punch it in second this time at maybe 40 mph or so, still a bit low in the powerband but it still pulled strong right up through the gear.

After that we cruised a few twisty roads but I took it pretty easy (evening and we have a LOT of deer in our area), then back to his house. It sucks I didn't get to take it up onto the highway for some real pulls but I was pumped just having gotten the chance to take it for a drive and get on it a bit. After that we talked cars for a few hours and then I went home, a good and unexpected night behind me.

THE REVIEW (things that stood out to me)

Traction: As far as performance goes, that's clearly what this car was built for. It pulled pretty hard even in the very low RPMs and if you wanted to roast the tires, all you had to do was downshift at any reasonable speed or punch it from anywhere in first and the car went sideways. You had to roll into it to get moving in first. That's what you get with such a light car with massive torque and stock tires, though.

Clutch: The clutch was VERY touchy for a stocker, this being the first LS7 clutch I've driven. I've had a lot of experience with clutches, too (stock LS1, Spec 2, 3, 3+, Textralias, RAM Powergrip). This one was very on/off with little room for slippage to get moving. Fairly light pedal feel, though, for what you'd expect behind the monster LS7.

Gearing: The gearing in this car is LONG. LOOOOOOOOOOOONG. Maybe it's just that I'm used to my 4.10s + MN12 trans that allows me to cruise in sixth at 35mph but this Z06 was EXACTLY the opposite. First winds out past 60mph and when I was cruising on side roads at like 40-50mph, I was only in fourth and under 1500 RPM. I never went on the highway but I barely hit fifth most of the time and never got into sixth gear. When I punched it in third, I wound it out to 85-90mph or so and it was really just getting into the powerband.

Interior: As much as I hate to say it, the interior in this car really disappointed me (especially being my "dream car"). I know the majority of dollars spent building this car goes into performance, which kicks ***, but I was still disappointed. The build quality just felt...well, cheap for a $70k car. Hell, it felt cheap for a $40k car in my opinion, and this is coming from someone who drives a 2002 Camaro Z28 for fun and a 1988 Firebird Formula as a daily driver. But I also drive some more "luxury" type cars at work (Jaguar, Volvo S80, etc). I wouldn't say it felt "cheap" in general (obviously much nicer than either of my cars), but I just expected a bit more in terms of feel and build quality. I can say for a fact that my brother's G8 GT and my dad's 04 GTO both have a much higher quality feel to the interior. I would take the interior quality of either of those cars way before I'd want the interior from the C6 Z06. In fact, swap the interior from the G8 into the Z06 and I'd probably be trying to figure out a way to sell my soul to buy one. But I guess that's the price you pay for a $70k car that's basically a tame to wild, amazing gas mileage to amazing performance racecar built for the street.

If anyone has any questions or I'm missing something important in the review, ask away and I'll answer!

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 06-01-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are definetly sweet cars. my old boss has 2008 C6 that he let drive for about 1 1/2 hours. that was fun. it was automatic though but the paddle shifter was cool. i know the feeling you had. i was the same way. congrats.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So what's the stock rear in the Z06, 3.42? Imagine what a set of 3.73s or even 4.xx would be like. I have had all three, 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10s and really like the current 3.73s I have. I'm starting to love the look of the c6 Z06 more and more.

Maybe one day when I'm not dropping >$1800/month on daycare.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 AM

^HAHA, silly people and their having kids. That blows, dude
Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ

Actually, it doesn't. There's not a better feeling in the world than your 2 year old son telling you he wants to go for a ride in daddy's hotrod, and then turns to his cousin and tells her to look, but don't touch daddy's car.

Next you'll say that having a wife or girlfriend sucks or having a mortgage sucks.

Come to think of it, it would be great to live at home with my parents, with no girlfriend or wife or kids and have plenty of money to buy a Z06.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Seeing my dad work his *** off to take care of me and my three brothers was way more than enough to convince me that I like my money more than I'd like kids. I'll just be the awesome uncle when PewterScreaminMach knocks up some chick

Bottom line, some people love having them, and that's awesome, but $1800 a month for daycare alone sucks no matter how you spin it.

Also, why do people always lump having kids, getting married, and buying a house in together instead of taking each one as the separate entities that they are? Why do I have to take or leave all three together?

Last edited by ScreaminRedZ; 06-01-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Very Nice Joe, It's not every day someone will toss you the keys to a car like that or any other car for that matter. Not that my car was all that special but you got to drive it

That car is a monster and there are people that have gone further, its def an eye opener for sure. I think that would be one car that I wouldnt go out of my way to mod. Just drive.

Too bad the interior was not up to the standard of the 04+ GTO or even G8's but that car was ment for racing and driving aggressivly, but since most who can afford are people w/o kids or who have had them and buying into their 60's are going to drive them differently. I too would expect for the price tag to get something on par with a car that was 28-35k MSRP.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Seeing my dad work his *** off to take care of me and my three brothers was way more than enough to convince me that I like my money more than I'd like kids. I'll just be the awesome uncle when PewterScreaminMach knocks up some chick

Bottom line, some people love having them, and that's awesome, but $1800 a month for daycare alone sucks no matter how you spin it.

Also, why do people always lump having kids, getting married, and buying a house in together instead of taking each one as the separate entities that they are? Why do I have to take or leave all three together?
No doubt, $1800/month for daycare does suck, but I love having kids and waited till we were in a good position to have them.

Back on topic, I can't beleive that he tossed you the keys, not to his car, but his brother's car. Do you personally know his brother? I'm not sure how I'd feel if I heard my brand new car was driven by my brother's neighbor, but hell, you got to drive a badass car and that's all that matters.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:18 AM

Yeah, you definitely did it right by waiting till you were set. Like I said, some people love having kids, and that's great.

I agree that I'm not sure how I would feel if my brother let someone drive my car. I also agree that it's not PSM's problem, lol
Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
So what's the stock rear in the Z06, 3.42? Imagine what a set of 3.73s or even 4.xx would be like. I have had all three, 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10s and really like the current 3.73s I have. I'm starting to love the look of the c6 Z06 more and more.

Maybe one day when I'm not dropping >$1800/month on daycare.
Yeah, I've had 3.42s, 3.73s, 4.10s, and then 4.10s with the MN12 trans. The faster you want to go at the track (pending your trap speed), the higher the gearing you want. But for the street, I enjoyed the 3.73s with the stock trans the most. Just a personal preference. And holy crap at $1,800 a month for daycare.

NO. Just no. And what would ever make you think I would knock up some random chick?
Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Very Nice Joe, It's not every day someone will toss you the keys to a car like that or any other car for that matter. Not that my car was all that special but you got to drive it

That car is a monster and there are people that have gone further, its def an eye opener for sure. I think that would be one car that I wouldnt go out of my way to mod. Just drive.

Too bad the interior was not up to the standard of the 04+ GTO or even G8's but that car was ment for racing and driving aggressivly, but since most who can afford are people w/o kids or who have had them and buying into their 60's are going to drive them differently. I too would expect for the price tag to get something on par with a car that was 28-35k MSRP.
Yeah, it was a great experience. I just really wish the interior felt a little more quality. You can't argue with the performance, though. Ridiculous.
No doubt, $1800/month for daycare does suck, but I love having kids and waited till we were in a good position to have them.

Back on topic, I can't beleive that he tossed you the keys, not to his car, but his brother's car. Do you personally know his brother? I'm not sure how I'd feel if I heard my brand new car was driven by my brother's neighbor, but hell, you got to drive a badass car and that's all that matters.
I was thinking the same thing about it being his brother's car but I don't really care who owns it; you toss me the keys to a brand new C6 Z06 and I'm gonna have some fun.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:30 AM
CARTEK Racing

I drove more then a few Vettes, on the street, long and short distances, and on the track, everything from stock C5 Z06's to Bosted C5/6's But the time I got to drive a brand new, stock C6 ZO6 for an hour or two was definatly an experience. I can't say enough about that car.

I wuold agree, the interior is a bit of a letdown, but then again, I never expected much from it being a GM after all... You still get a good value in the end. Today you can find a '07 ZO6 for under 50K. That does not say much for their value retention, but once again... GM...

In the last few weeks I have been heavily contemplating selling the TA in favor of a '07 Atomic Orange ZO6...

PS. From what I know there are no after market gears for a C6 ZO6 as of yet... So 3.42's are it for now...
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
PS. From what I know there are no after market gears for a C6 ZO6 as of yet... So 3.42's are it for now...
Never knew that. I'm guessing the Z06 uses a specific rear transfer case exclusive to the Z06?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Learn something everyday. I'm suprised with all the people modding the hell out of them that there isn't an alternative yet.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The gears are fine,problem lies in the power curve of the Z06.It doesn't make much torque down low and peaks hp at 6200 or so. I've driven alot of them,would rather buy a reg. C6 and put on a blower.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with having kids but it's not for me.

I kinda laugh when I see the car magazines quote 0-60 times for this car when I think about how it is setup. Imagine what that number would look like with 4.10s and DRs?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Doesn't the viper have even taller gears? Like a 2.89 rear gear or somthing rediculous?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the viper have even taller gears? Like a 2.89 rear gear or somthing rediculous?
I think you're right, I remember reading that it's turning like 1600 rpms at 80 mph or something absurd like that.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

C6 Z06 = pure sex.

Today you can find a '07 ZO6 for under 50K. That does not say much for their value retention, but once again... GM...
Not just GM, only a handful of 'bought new' vehicles retain any decent amount of their selling price/value after they're sold.
Look at the used prices of any upmodel 'non AMG' Mercedes or 'non M model' BMW to see what I'm talking about.
Doesn't matter if you lose $25k on your Z06 or $25k on your S550 or $25k on your 745i...it's all green.
Go ask the guy who paid $160k for his Ferrari F360 back in 2002 how he feels right now about having eaten roughly $80k (not including the exorbitant maintenance/upkeep costs) on one car in only 7 years. Actually he probably feels pretty damn good because he did drive a Ferrari for 7 years and likely still has plenty of money anyway LOL.

Don't want to take the hit? Then don't buy a new car.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
C6 Z06 = pure sex.

Not just GM, only a handful of 'bought new' vehicles retain any decent amount of their selling price/value after they're sold.
Look at the used prices of any upmodel 'non AMG' Mercedes or 'non M model' BMW to see what I'm talking about.
Doesn't matter if you lose $25k on your Z06 or $25k on your S550 or $25k on your 745i...it's all green.
Go ask the guy who paid $160k for his Ferrari F360 back in 2002 how he feels right now about having eaten roughly $80k (not including the exorbitant maintenance/upkeep costs) on one car in only 7 years. Actually he probably feels pretty damn good because he did drive a Ferrari for 7 years and likely still has plenty of money anyway LOL.

Don't want to take the hit? Then don't buy a new car.
Hey, don't get me wrong... I love GM's plumiting resale value, makes buying a ZO6 easier for me...

Want to buy the TA?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Hey, don't get me wrong... I love GM's plumiting resale value, makes buying a ZO6 easier for me...
True...same reason that I like Ferrari's and Porsche's plummeting resale values, makes buying an F355, F360 or a Boxster (and dropping an LS3 in it LOL) that much easier for me as well.

Want to buy the TA?
For the right price I'd buy that car in a heartbeat, drop in a TH350 with some lightweight brakes and go to town with it.