Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Going Green!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going Green!

Well after my last track visit two weeks ago and cutting my best 60' ever (1.531) my clutch has given up. It held fine through the last pass and that 60ft, it was fine getting onto and off of the trailer but when I swapped to the street wheels/tires to go to Slowhawk's Dyno Day it was slipping terribly in every gear above 2nd..... So I ordered Monster Stage 3, with remote Speed bleeder and a SFI QuickTime bellhosusing (Scatter shield) last week.

Today I spent just under 2.5 hours taking the car out to prepare it for the new clutch.. I was only going to get it up on jack-stands and pull the exhaust.... Instead I made it completely ready for the new parts!

No garage, no help, just nice weather and my own two hands!

Not bad for a Spec 3 that went 15K+ miles in my 2000 Trans Am beat to hell with the STS Turbo and now another 7500miles in the GTO launching like a **** on slicks since the day it went in!!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

After your done with that, wanna pull my motor
Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Haven't done a Motor yet... but if you're serious, I'm certainly willing to help out. Just need a place for the car and a cherry picker.
I helped out last year with Keith's 383, but yours should be even easier with no A/C and whatnot! From there's it's just watching the wiring and such!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that thing is ******* beat LOL.

I'm on my second Spec 3. No complaints, it grabs hard, has no chatter after break in, and driveability is fine for me.

Can't say the say for the twin disk Clutchmasters I just installed in my roommates S/C M3.

What a work out, almost not worth it.

Good luck with the Monster!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Damn, that thing is ******* beat LOL.

I'm on my second Spec 3. No complaints, it grabs hard, has no chatter after break in, and driveability is fine for me.

Can't say the say for the twin disk Clutchmasters I just installed in my roommates S/C M3.

What a work out, almost not worth it.

Good luck with the Monster!
Thanks man. The Spec 3 was Great to me. It drove like stock in the Trans Am and it chattered only when taking off in the GTO... difference of hydraulics I suppose.

I have been hearing good things about the Monster Clutches and since Don is a Distributor for them I figured I'd try it out!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

Good job man, yeah I'd say that spec clutch doesn't owe you much, you gave it hell.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 AM

Damn, I'm impressed, them ***** aren't light! How are the Monster clutches priced compared to the Specs?

BAD *** TA WS6, you ever get your car dynoed? Did you get your buddy's M3 finished up? It looked like a cool project.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I dynoed 404/373 on Dons dyno.

I just finished the M3 last night. It took me forever to finish building the longblock. Had a bunch of parts that had to be special ordered, and a leaky distribution block for my oil feed lines to the blower.

I'll post up a thread soon, were loading it up and heading to Philly to get it tuned in a few weeks.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Good job man, yeah I'd say that spec clutch doesn't owe you much, you gave it hell.
Plus I think it was at least 5 years old!! So I don't think it owes him anything! GL with the new clutch Speedy! I've heard really good things about them.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Impressive work Todd! I'm sure a second set of hands putting the tranny back in would make your life a lot easier though!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
I dynoed 404/373 on Dons dyno.

I just finished the M3 last night. It took me forever to finish building the longblock. Had a bunch of parts that had to be special ordered, and a leaky distribution block for my oil feed lines to the blower.

I'll post up a thread soon, were loading it up and heading to Philly to get it tuned in a few weeks.
Great numbers! Can't wait to hear how the M3 does. What's the setup on it? How did it do with whatever the old setup was?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

VF-Engineering kit, Vortech V3-SC trim. Blew the motor in 500 miles due to overboosting with shitty GIAC Californian software, in the New England cold weather.

Cracked ringlands on 2,3, and 4.

I've built him a much nastier setup
Old 06-02-2009, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post man, keep us updated as you progress!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Damn, I'm impressed, them ***** aren't light! How are the Monster clutches priced compared to the Specs?

BAD *** TA WS6, you ever get your car dynoed? Did you get your buddy's M3 finished up? It looked like a cool project.
Monster is VERY competitively priced to other clutch companies. The main difference is the packages, we sell our stuff with flywheels and supporting pieces, we will never sell our pressure plates and discs without our matched flywheels due to the risks involved in doing so.

If you have anymore questions about our clutches give us a shout, we'll get you taken care of!

Last edited by SNLPerformance; 06-02-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Monster is [I]VERY[I] competitively priced to other clutch companies. The main difference is the packages, we sell our stuff with flywheels and supporting pieces, we will never sell our pressure plates and discs without our matched flywheels due to the risks involved in doing so.

If you have anymore questions about our clutches give us a shout, we'll get you taken care of!
Thanks! I'll be sending you a PM either tonight or tomorrow with some questions.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Thanks! I'll be sending you a PM either tonight or tomorrow with some questions.
I look forward to it.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Exactly.. it doesn't owe me a thing 22-23K miles +, tons of abuse from the Trans Am and running slicks on the GTO from day one... with Multiple 1.53-1.55 short times!

Originally Posted by Tracer X
Plus I think it was at least 5 years old!! So I don't think it owes him anything! GL with the new clutch Speedy! I've heard really good things about them.
You know it.. the GTO turned 4 years this passed March and the Clutch was in the Trans Am for a good 2-3 years or so... a total of 5 years + in the two cars and an age of like 7 years.. Ha Ha!
So far the reviews on the Monster Clutches have been pretty damn good, I am looking forward to it! Hopefully it'll be just like people say, 10% stiffer clutch pedal and after the break-in the chatter goes away.... if it's both of those things and holds my power for a good while... I'll be a happy camper! Perhaps it'll get me into the 1.4x's with my 4000lb car!

Originally Posted by 02SCVette
Impressive work Todd! I'm sure a second set of hands putting the tranny back in would make your life a lot easier though!
We'll see.. I really like working alone for some reason and the T56 transmission is pretty easy to wrestle around... although I have used a tranny jack once and it was Sweet! I will though have to raise the car a few more inches to get under there with the transmission on my chest... LoL

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Thanks for the post man, keep us updated as you progress!

No problem... I am going to add to the thread with the rest of the install. Don also ordered me one of your TICKshift remote speed bleeders for the ease of it all and I am also expecting a QuickTime SFI bellhousing which will get a thread of it's own since I haven't seen an install "guide"/write-up for the GTO yet which shall include the necessary modifications to make it fit!

Hope the parts arrive shortly and the rest of the install should be a cake walk!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard the monster stuff is more suited for road racing?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS

I hope not... I have read it has good drag characteristics...

Getting the steel flywheel so it keeps the rotational mass up for the launches just like my Spec... As long as the disc holds and the PP clamps enough, I should be good to go!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JS
Not at all... we offer lightweight stuff for the road race guys, but, our main clientele is drag racing customers.

Originally Posted by Speedy0009
I hope not... I have read it has good drag characteristics...

Getting the steel flywheel so it keeps the rotational mass up for the launches just like my Spec... As long as the disc holds and the PP clamps enough, I should be good to go!
You're on the right track!