Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Do I have to remove dash lights service eng.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have to remove dash lights service eng.

Does anyone know if it's necessary to remove the led bulbs for the service engine soon, brake and abs warning lights. This is the second year I've had to find a way to get a sticker on my 01 Z28 due to the lights being on. I'm curious if through the computer it's possible to shut off the signals turning the lights on? With Wilwood brakes and all the other non standard stuff that's been done to the car I understand why there on, but want them out. Other than that I'm going to weld some flanges on the exhaust where I can install and remove the cat when needed.

Thanks, Fred
Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred, the leds are soldered into the dash, you don't want to unsolder them. I took the cluster apart and painted the brake warning light black and put electrical tape over it. This one cannot be turned off on most year cars.

The service engine light...scan it and see whats causing it. Usually the cause can be rectified. if it's becuse of the missing cats, Don can shut that code to no report.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if you remove the SES light you will fail inspection. They'll know the bulb is missing from their scanner. Maine is a bitch if you don;t have a connection. They bust my brothers ***** every year up there. He's in Falmouth BTW,
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You may, be able to replace the LED's with a regular diode that's not light emmitting and the dash will never know the difference.

Something to consider. Anyone that's good with electornics could unsolder and replace the lights with another diode I'm sure.

The ses light, Don should be able to make that go away. You will have to do something about the cat, I'd just get a magnaflow cat, gut it and weld the thing into the exhaust and be done with it. Or cut the case off and weld it around a strait section of the exhaust where there is room, unless they're sniffing the car and you have to have it to pass.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the information and ideas. My first thought now is why not just paint all the leds which are a problem black and place black duct tape over them? I bought a Dyna tech race converter last year ($180) from Summit, but haven't installed it yet because of two reasons. One to make room to install it I'd have to eliminate one of the inline bullet mufflers and with the converter punched out the car would be ridicously loud. Two finding time with my job is hard but it's something I'll need to address soon.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:41 PM
9 Second Club

I just put black electric tape over the lights, been there for years.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would get the SES light looked at. I don't know if the brake light would cause you to fail the plug-in test. You may want to speak to the inspector first before paying the fee.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
11 Second Club

Just have the tuner (Slowhawk) read the codes and delete them.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

if all else fails, flash them a 100 dollar bill and you might just get your sticker. ;]
Old 07-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Call or PM Don. Get your best results that way. I'm sure he can help you out.

I love that car.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

In Maryland they won't test if ANY dash lights are illuminated (ABS, SES, any of that kind of thing). I also painted over my ABS lights. The SES had to be tuned because, as mentioned, they can still see that the light should be on during the test. Good luck,

Larry
Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno about maine but in mass you will fail without the abs and brake lights are on cause they have to be operational for a sticker.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

The lights have been lit since the first time I started the car,lol
I figure that was normal for what Don and Mike were use to seeing with the setup. I have a OBD2 scanner, it's a cheap model but does show code #'s. I'll scan it in the morning and see what it says. BTW, The car runs on the street awesome.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

its the servicle vehicle light thats why, the body computer is throwing it due to the abs being removed. best bet is just paint/ cover them. there scanner will not see anything on the body computer anyway.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Gotta have connections up here! This is my 4th year no cats, no front plate and illegal tint..... Maine inspections suck as bad as the roads! I have HPTuners and can scan and delete any codes, if your interested....

J
Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

just did this to my cluster last nite pull the cluser out unclip the plastic lens and get sum rustolem high performance flat black spray paint and spray it onto a qtip then just dab it on to the lights kinda thick but not runny and let it tack up it took about 6 coats for it not to show therw in any lil area but worked mint and the flat black matches the cluster perfectly cant even tell unless u get down close and stare at the cluster witha flashlight...just make sure to keep checking your progress of coats by popin the cluster back in the car for that tho u can leave the lense off just becareful of the needles i had asr,air bag,abs,water level and all sorts of other ones on that had no use in my car anymore good luck

Quick Reply: Do I have to remove dash lights service eng.