Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Question on the "QQ" Plates...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the "QQ" Plates...

So, as you can see in my sig, I have a 3rd gen (specifically, 1987) Pontiac Firebird. 350 small-block, 60-bore/stroke, heads/cam, built 700r, etc. etc. (basic stuff...). Selling my tow rig ('95 chevy) b/c outside of towing the race car with my now totalled trailer (long story...) I really have little use left for it, and without the car selling/parting out or being driven somewhat, I don't see much point to keeping the car just to sit in my garage (neighbor is a State Senator ... if that door opens she calls 911).

Now onto the main point/question. Can I register it for the street (de-cat'd car with a fairly "radical" motor) - I know I can manage it on the street, I was just thinking a nice fun Saturday/Sunday weekend cruiser (repainted/new body work, new motor ...). I know California changed their laws regarding emissions testing three years ago (pre-'76 are exempt, '76 and up aren't, no more rolling exemptions) and was wondering if NJ did similarly (they've followed CA in every other way). I tried searches on the DMV website and going to the local DMV center and asking there, they just gave me blank stares and told me they don't know anything about that, and the website was even less informative (said "there are exemptions" but no links or info as to what they are).

So, when the car turns 25 (2012) can I register it with QQ Plates and not need to go through emissions? Or is there another classification that'd allow me to run a de-cat'd car (even if it's just a couple thousand miles...). The cost to re-build this car for emissions would be more than the thing's worth (at least several thousand ... everything was yanked by the previous owner, so I don't have any of the parts).

Thanks all!
- JR
Old 07-25-2009, 06:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you can get it registered as a classic or show car you can do it, talk to tektrans he found a loophole to keep his car on the road.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

it doesnt matter what you have done to the motor. the only way to get QQs is to be 25yrs or older. its very, very hard to get collector registration now. they changed the laws 2yrs ago to make it harder for anyone to get it. the local NJ fbody club isnt doing jack **** to help members qualify for it.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Anyone have a copy or know where I could find a copy of the new collector car registration requirements? I saw a link from back in '06 about it, but since it has changed alot since then, it'll be tougher.

Right now I'm holding back on going online and requesting a copy of the build sheet from GM until I get the whole NJ collector car law thing figured out.

Thanks for the help so far!
- JR
Old 07-25-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/c...r_vehicles.htm

just a build sheet wont do anything
Old 07-25-2009, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Okay, gonna go through this and show you where I'm unsure...

Vehicle: 1987 Pontiac Firebird (FORMULA WS6?) 700R4/305 4BBL

Needs:
Less than 25 yrs old - YES
Not registered as "historic" or "street rod" - YES
Not driven more than 3000 miles/yr - Exactly what I was planning on
Insured as "limited use" collector vehicle - Not yet, but that's the plan
LIMITED PRODUCTION VEHICLE - Not really sure about this one. 13,000 formulas, roughly 1,900/1,800 with the four-barrel 305 engine. I'd imagine many are scrapped (especially with "cash for clunkers") and as a result, it may indeed be good enough for the requirements for a "collector car".
Odometer/Safety Equipment works - Yes ... just need to change a couple light bulbs.

The rest of it I'm cool with doing (filling out the form, taking the photos, probably gonna clean the car out since it'll be my Sunday cruise car if I do this) and so, yeah.

EDIT> btw - the build sheet will confirm or deny it being a Formula. I was told it is, but since the VIN# is the same (1G2FS ... ) either way, I could wind up wasting my time and efforts prepping this car to find out it's a Firebird, which would make it 1/6500+ versus a Formula, as one of less than 2,000.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

the build sheet still wont help. you need an official letter from a recognized club or manufacturer stating it was a 'limited production' model. trust me, im going through it myself. i contacted pontiac several times, and am waiting on a letter from them.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

QQ tags in N.J. is VERY simple when your car becomes 25yrs old. Collector inspection like the others have already mentioned are more difficult. I've had collector registration on my 02 Firehawk for 5 yrs now. It was as easy as asking for it at DMV. Now it's a pain. You need to prove rare or classic statice of your vehicle. Recently Tektrans was able to get the proof needed for his 98 WS6. Cars built in '98 were relatively low. I've registered 3 different cars QQ over the last 11 yrs. Take pictures of a finished car. Side views and three quarter views, rear views,etc. You need your title with you and make sure you have your Drivers License. Take this to State Street DMV in Trenton across from the Court House. This is the only DMV that will take care of QQ/Historic registration in N.J. There's a gaurd at a podium that you must see. He'll ask for I.D. then send you to the correct floor for DMV. They'll take care of the registration at this time. I suggest going early in the morning, parking becomes a problem later on. I usually park in the Main DMV parking lot and walk two blocks up to State Street.

Last edited by Firehawk441; 07-26-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I guess I'll wait and see what I hear (if I ever hear...) from GM regarding production numbers. If it doesn't look too good, I'll just wait for 25-yrs and hope that the laws don't change much by 2012.

Quick Reply: Question on the "QQ" Plates...