Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Info on the DC area please

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on the DC area please

My wife and I are thinking about moving back out to Dc just wanted to know the scene and other car stuff to do around there Tracks etc. Also the Dmv issues.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Well first it honestly depends on where in the DMV your going to be moving to. But quite frankly you probably can find a club meet or hang out spot in the area almost every night of the week here. As for tracks once again it depends on where you'll be living and how far your willing to drive, but you have Capitol Raceway, MIR (Budds Creek), 75/80, Mason Dixon, Cecil County, these are all 1/4 mile tracks within an hour and a half's drive of DC. I hope this info helps you out some.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah depends where you feel like moving. I am in NOVA, a car meet 20 min's north on fridays and 25 mins south on saturdays. Also f-bodyhideout is pretty much based outta VA so they meet atleast once a month and hang out more. MIR is a distance but worth it, also two local 1/8th mile tracks for fun.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Guys We were thinking about the Alexandria/Dc area. But, what about the DMV and smog issues there?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahhh okay alexandria isn't that far off from me, i used to live there. Nice area and not too far from MIR. Smog issues?? I am unaware of smog issues haha.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet. Just curious cause I live in CA and my car isnt even registered here. Just because that "issue"
Old 08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes if you live in NOVA you have to get smog done. I think testing for smog ends at around Fredricksburg. I'd check the VA dmv website. they have it on there which counties/cities do it.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Well Ill just keep the NC tags on it. Been doin it for a few yrs in Ca.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what doesn't pass?? I mean i dont really have problems and pour out the fumes haha.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, you're in SoCal and want to come to DC. My fiance and I left DC 2.5 months ago, and I want to go to LA.

I don't think the car scene would be any different than what you experience out there. You've got plenty of exotic high $$$ cars, very nicely done classics, and fast late models - and plenty of hybrids Yup, just like where you're at. The only thing is you'll get snow and ice here - and more humidity.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Funny, you're in SoCal and want to come to DC. My fiance and I left DC 2.5 months ago, and I want to go to LA.

I don't think the car scene would be any different than what you experience out there. You've got plenty of exotic high $$$ cars, very nicely done classics, and fast late models - and plenty of hybrids Yup, just like where you're at. The only thing is you'll get snow and ice here - and more humidity.
LOL. The car doesnt pass cause I got no Cats. There is a hige difference in weather it like 65-70 yr round here. And the beaches oh the beaches. My wife lived in DC for like 3 yrs before she moved here and wants to go back. So I said cool we can try it out. At least the Husky will love the winter time.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll be about three hours from Ocean City and Virginia Beach.

It only snowed twice this past winter, and it was gone within a week. The biggest problem is that as it doesn't get cold enough most days to cause precipitation to turn into snow, the rain turns into ice each night. They do a pretty good job with keeping the roads open, but it's the drivers who have never driven in weather like that (let along even driven a vehicle in the first place) that are more cause for worry.

The pollen is really bad too.

Traffic - the highways are not as congested as what you will be used to, but driving in town, like down the street to the store, etc, will **** you off as it's much worse than southern California. I've only been out west once (Stevenson Ranch last May; my fiance has family there), so that traffic observation may not always be true.

Make sure to get Tony's Pizza in Fair Lakes and Hard Times (multiple locations). I sure miss it...
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

If you move to Maryland I'll let you know how I do w/ emissions w/ my cam and no cats in the next month or two here...haha!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I know all to well about the VAbeach area. Stationed there for 3yrs and I still own a house there.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Teching In

Def. checkout f-bodyhideout.com. I live in Northern VA about 15min from DC where i work. I dont have cats on my car but i know someone who works at a DMV plus my girlfriends step father has been a cop in my town for over 20yrs so it doesnt affect me much lol, but i do try and keep quiet around the cops thats why i kept my sock exhaust so im not too loud.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah demonspeed pretty much hit it dead on rain instead of snow, traffic going a few miles, yada yada. Haha Tony's pizza is good, his brother Ciro has a pizza place right next to my house. Freaken amazin stuff. Yeah i'm catless and cam there are ways dont fret. SSinner i still dont think i've seen you at a meet, where you been?? Check hideout and come to MIR on the 16th (not to hijack)
Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Old Dominion 1/8th mile in Manassas has a test and tune wednesdays for $15, anyone else going tonight if the rain holds off? Or has anyone ever been there I'm also new to NOVA and want to check it out.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i used to go every wednesday, i haven't been in awhile though. i was supposed to go with some friends but 50% chance of rain 3-8ish i think i'm headed to the gym instead.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I live in Alexandria and am working in Chantilly. Im praying the rain holds off, this would be only chance to get a run in before the 16th as Ill be away all next week.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You couldn't pay me 5 million dollars to move back here if I'd moved away. No way on God's green earth. This place is terrible....cops are horrible, pull you over for nothing, totally too much traffic and too many people. Everything is overpriced, most of the people are self centered, don't know how to drive, drive too slow.......I can keep going on! I hope we can move away from here by next year. When I moved from SE PA to Nova in 2001 it was different and nice. Now it's become overcrowded with foreigners who'd be better off riding a donkey then driving since they're so horrible at it.