Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

MA resident.. AIR/EGR inspection question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MA resident.. AIR/EGR inspection question!

So, I'm curious as to what I can get away with in a MA inspection if I do headers on my '00 z28.

If I delete the AIR/EGR, but still use o2's and a catted y.. would I be able to get away with an inspection? Will I be getting codes for things other than the back 2 o2 sensors missing?

I know there are some garages that are lenient in regards to modding, would the headers throw a red flag before the AIR/EGR delete anyways?

Just curious to what all you other MA residents have done and had no problems with, before I go through with more serious modding.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as your service engine soon light is not on and an OBDII test shows "ready" you should be fine. A lot of guys doing inspections wouldn't even know what headers are, much less whether it came like that from the factory. That's assuming they even look under the hood, which they probably won't.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

as stated. Just get the car tuned to shut the codes off. You'll be all set... unless its stupid loud then they may ask questions
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

my buddy inspects my car so the hood doesn't get popped. HOWEVER I'm keeping all the AIR fittings to make it look like its still legal in case I ever run into a cop who knows his **** because I've had the police pop my hood and threaten to have their tech's run through everything to check for illegal mods. I plugged the AIR fitting on the header with pennies and will run a hose on each side down under the engine out of sight. and I'll be ordering one of these shortly to ditch the cat> http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...4dc11f7f10267a
Old 08-12-2009, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
my buddy inspects my car so the hood doesn't get popped. HOWEVER I'm keeping all the AIR fittings to make it look like its still legal in case I ever run into a cop who knows his **** because I've had the police pop my hood and threaten to have their tech's run through everything to check for illegal mods. I plugged the AIR fitting on the header with pennies and will run a hose on each side down under the engine out of sight. and I'll be ordering one of these shortly to ditch the cat> http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...4dc11f7f10267a

LOL
"The product description above is for entertainment purposes only. This product does not perform the exhaust cleansing function of a catalytic converter in any way. Use of this product on or off the road violates countless laws and may prevent your car from passing emissions. It is unlawful to install this product in any vehicle in the United States, ever. If you wish to return this product at any time in the future, a full refund will be issued. This product should only be hung on your wall to express your rebellious nature, never installed in a vehicle. This product may cause cancer.
"

I'll take 2 please
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Hers one for you guys, anyone here remember the test pipes that eliminated the convertors in the early to mid 80's.A bunch of garages and inspections stations were caught and fined for these.But the cars ran great and were better on gas,typical government intervention,They should leave the enthusiasts alone.

Tree huggers SUCK.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pulling the AIR or EGR without a tune will fail inspection. I can tune them out to pass easilly enough.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

And I plan on stopping over at Slowhawk for a tune after I do a cam job next spring! Hoping there's a shop closer to here that can tune out the codes for AIR/EGR and the back o2 sensors even.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dannyo210
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

And I plan on stopping over at Slowhawk for a tune after I do a cam job next spring! Hoping there's a shop closer to here that can tune out the codes for AIR/EGR and the back o2 sensors even.
Worst case you could always put your PCM in a box and ship it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Worst case you could always put your PCM in a box and ship it.
We can do that too.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I'm in Sturbridge. PM me.