Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Williamsport

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Williamsport

I heard from someone a while back about myself possibly moving to Williamsport and wanted to know some rules on inspections and what all I might need to pass. Anyway, I was hoping to talk to him again about how real estate is doing up there and a little bit about the town. Kinda looking like I might be heading up that way.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

housing is realitively cheap up in Williamsport area. Not much up there though either. As far as inspection I think they fall into one of the counties that is emissions exempt. So there are no emissions checks. I am not 100% on that but I know Schuylkill county is emission exempt.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Teching In

I got all the info I needed about passing inspection. PA rules are not much different than TX laws. Biggest thing is that my wife will be about 1500 miles closer to her parents in Stewartstown. Which makes the trip to visit her parents much, much cheaper. As far as things to do there, I haven't found a whole lot. Anybody with ideas of things to do even if a little driving is involved?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
FormerVendor

any particular reason you want to move there? is this job related?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Launching!

i go to school in williamsport, its a pretty nice area.. they have pretty much everything you need around, the inner city isnt the best though like any city.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Yes, it is job related. I would be willing to move within 30-50 miles but not getting much to look at as far as houses go. I would love to be closer to Harrisburg, but I think that will be too far away. The company will pay for my fuel but not sure they wanna pay for that much.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Look into the Danville Area. Very Very nice. Williamsport is 35-40 min drive and about and hour north of H-burg. So your right inbetween both.

http://www.danvillepa.com/

Also ive moved around alot, and this area feels like "home" to me. Another very nice area is Lewisburg PA. With is about 30 min from Williamsport. Might be worth your time to check that out as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Very nice thanks for the info. My wife is actually up there right now and they were talking about heading up to that area. So I will tell her to stop in Danville and have a look see. What is the population in Danville now?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Teching In

you have a pm
Old 12-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Teching In

Another question. . .

How is that area setup in the way of good, reputable shops? I may be looking to do some go fast mods sometime after getting there.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 AM
Launching!

i'm in lewisburg but know williamsport pretty good. it has some good areas, and some BAD areas, like any other city. lewisburg is very nice, kinda pricey though. as far as shops, there a few engine builders, but mostly small block stuff, don't know of any ls1/lt1 builders other than mikey at rapid who is down near hershey i believe. but check out motorcityforums.com, bunch of us from williamsport, danville, elysburg area.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rowdypalooza
Another question. . .

How is that area setup in the way of good, reputable shops? I may be looking to do some go fast mods sometime after getting there.
Mikey at Rapid Motorsports would be your best bet. He's at Reading about 125 miles from Williamsport.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
12 Second Club

Very nice thanks for the info. My wife is actually up there right now and they were talking about heading up to that area. So I will tell her to stop in Danville and have a look see. What is the population in Danville now?
Population is right at about 5000 people. I actually live accross the River Bridge in a smaller town called Riverside, which is still kinda considered Danville. The only thing splitting them is the River. Danville is 15-20 miles from amusement parks, walmart, malls, all kinds of stores. There are plenty of reputible shops close by. Also listen to what Y2KWS6KAH has to say. Good guy and good friend of mine. He can give you the scoop on the surrounding areas.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

No real need for finding go fast shops. Our crew around here can and has done just about every kind of mod to a 4th gen imaginable. You just need to be willing to turn a wrench and it'll get done.

As for real estate, the market hasn't come down much with the economy. Houses are still selling for around the same prices as a couple of years ago.

Pretty much the biggest real estate company in our area is Villager Realty: http://www.villagerrealty.com/.

I live just about halfway between Williamsport and Danville and it's pretty convenient. I grew up an hour north of Williamsport and wouldn't recommend heading that way unless you really like living in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by PAGregSS; 12-31-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What Greg said.. unless you're gonna work in Danville, I can't see any reason to pay the premium to live in the immediate Danville area, but you don't have to go far away at all for the houses to get far less expensive. (like 5 miles away, the prices start to fall)

I really like the area, and if you're a motorhead, there's something to do seemingly every weekend once it warms up a little.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another question. . .

I lived in Williamsport for 3 years then montgomery for a year which is about 15 mins south. williamsport is not the best city, lots of people getting shot while i was there, but its got about all you need in a small area. montgomery was really nice. quiet little town just over the mountain. lived on 28 acres right on the susquehana river and it was perfect! no one to bother you. Houses can be had for CHEAP. not sure how old you are or if you have a family besides the wife but you could buy a good size house for less then 100k easy and then partition rooms and rent to college kids. 400 bucks a month rent per student x2-3 theres your whole mortgage.

as far as performance stuff. ive got a guy up there that worked for childress racing and hes very good. got a little shop right outside of town. Also another friend real big into drag racing with 4 sub 10 second cars. if needed could get you some contact info for them. beaver springs drag strip.. although very small.. is a little over an hour drive btw
Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

i live in milton myself. its a decent area. like it was said before, once it warms up there is stuff to do like any place
Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks everybody for the input. I will probably be heading up to the area this weekend for a day or 2. Sounds like I will probably look into searching around Williamsport or just a few miles south. For now, I am basically starting over. Therefore, won't have a whole lot of money left over from the sale of my house here in TX. Hoping to get 10k out of it (some of which will be used to move). After getting on my feet in the area, will probably look at other areas (possibly further south). Thanks again everyone, hope to talk to you again soon.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Teching In

If you need help unloading the moving truck let me know you got my number