Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

GM Customer Service is a JOKE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry GM Customer Service is a JOKE!

So im trying to get a letter from GM stating that my car 2000 TA is limited production so that i can get collector registration for my car in NJ.

you get transferred to the middle east where they can barely speak english and cant understand them......

there was a mess up cause the guy thought i said "cluster car" and gm didnt know what it means....

so straighten that up and now they understand that its collector car.

GM Customer service tells me that in the 2000 model year 3073 trans ams were made....

who is running the show???? when i asked if he had heard of the firebird/trans am he replied no

anyone have a more direct number to contact gm??

-brandon
Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what did u expect from a company that is bankrupt?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

have mexican operators
Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Dude, I fought with those ******* for MONTHS, literally MONTHS. Basically you should ask them for a letter that states how many cars were made for your make and model for your year. If they say it was 3073 for that year then they have to give you a letter that states just that. That's all they will do. I have a ws6 so I got a letter stating how many ws6's coupes were made that year. 3000+ cars may not qualify you for collector status. See if they can narrow it down, like how many trans am coupes were made and that will lower the production number.
I hate those ******* at gm customer service. Thanks GOD I'm done with that collector staus crap.
Nothing like rolling into a NJ state DMV for your inspection sticker with wheelie bars, 10 pt cage and stinking of race gas and there's nothing they can do but give you your inspection sticker.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

C'mon dude, GM isn't the ONLY company out there that's using the middle east for telephone/customer service work...and it is a somewhat rare and uncommon request as well.

Originally Posted by tektrans
3000+ cars may not qualify you for collector status.
Unfortunately true, DMV still has the right to reject it too if they so choose ....but blame NJDMV not GM (they're not in business to send personal detailed letters to every single sole that needs/asks for one, no car company is going to make that part easy for ya) for these hassles, they're the ones that make it SO difficult to qualify for 'collector status' now. Back in the day when I went through it with my Z28 it was at least a little easier.

Thanks GOD I'm done with that collector staus crap.
Nothing like rolling into a NJ state DMV for your inspection sticker with wheelie bars, 10 pt cage and stinking of race gas and there's nothing they can do but give you your inspection sticker.
Makes life so much simpler.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol thats why i love keeping my **** registered and insured in the great state of fl lol no inspection and theres not a damn thing jersey can do about it lol
Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a GM database somewhere on the internet that gives you all kinds of info on your car just by running the VIN. It'll list and detail the rpo codes n such the car came with, as well as show how many identical cars were produced. Don't know if that helps any...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Resident

What do you want the collector car status for? The insurance or the inspection aspect? Because grundys insurance will insure a TA for collectors insurance and they're dirt cheap. You just need to be 25+ years old (you not the car).
Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
(they're not in business to send personal detailed letters to every single sole that needs/asks for one, no car company is going to make that part easy for ya)
I gotta disagree with ya there Marc. I think when you spend your hard earned money on a companies product and down the line you need a simple letter stating production #'s FOR THE VEHICLE YOU BOUGHT it should be done quickly and without resistance.
It's a simple request, hardly a burden for someone to type up and seal it. How long could it take Marc, 5 minutes? C'mon.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
What do you want the collector car status for? The insurance or the inspection aspect? Because grundys insurance will insure a TA for collectors insurance and they're dirt cheap. You just need to be 25+ years old (you not the car).
i will be going w/ them, its so that i can go to the dvm worry free about if my car will pass or not
Old 02-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Launching!

I just went through exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I live in NJ and contacted Pontiac via their website, customer care center. But first you need to go the Pontiac section on this site, and read through the stickied thread and download the PDF that was put together breaking down all the 4th gen numbers for the Firebirds. This will give you the numbers you are looking for, but they aren't from GM so it might not have the same credibility that a letter from Pontiac would.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-here-18.html

Post #353

Then get a dialogue going with Pontiac via email. Provide them with your VIN and ask NICELY if they can provide production numbers for your car based on the VIN for the purposes of collector insurance. They will likely respond with exactly what you are looking for. Once you establishe a dialogue with them, you will have a case number assigned to your request, then you can call them on the phone to discuss it further or try and get more detail. I did this, it took me about a month, half a dozen emails, multiple phone calls and I got a beautiful letter from Pontiac on their letterhead stating the total number of Firebirds produced for the 1999 model year of which only 1602 were Formulas and then they broke that number down into manual versus automatic. So basically my letter states that of the 36,219 Firebirds produced in 1999, my car is 1 of 1,602 formulas and that number is comprised of 790 manual versus 812 automatics. So my car ultimately is 1 of 790 (not taking color or the fact that its a hardtop into account). That letter from Pontiac is worth its weight in gold. Take your time and you'll get what you need. You have to understand that the request is not something they likely encounter on a regular basis, so be patient.

Go here if you want all the details......

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthr...031#post679031

And go here to do the homework yourself and play with the RPO codes

www.compnine.com

I just got collector status last week on my firechicken. PM me if you have other questions.

Good Luck
Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

the guy called me back today and was soo excited lol.... he told me that i will have a letter in the mail in the next 3-4 weeks

hopefully its good enough for the dmv
Old 02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinking about doing this but was worried about the mileage requirement. In the past year I've driven it 100 miles but don't want to make that the "norm".

Are you guys all excepting this requirement? or is their something we can do to get around it.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

I gotta disagree with ya there Marc. I think when you spend your hard earned money on a companies product and down the line you need a simple letter stating production #'s FOR THE VEHICLE YOU BOUGHT it should be done quickly and without resistance.
It's a simple request, hardly a burden for someone to type up and seal it. How long could it take Marc, 5 minutes? C'mon.
True and good point.
But I assure you that it is NOT only GM that would make a request such as that at least a little difficult to obtain.

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
the guy called me back today and was soo excited lol.... he told me that i will have a letter in the mail in the next 3-4 weeks
Cool.

Originally Posted by BLASTER
i was thinking about doing this but was worried about the mileage requirement. In the past year I've driven it 100 miles but don't want to make that the "norm".
Are you guys all excepting this requirement? or is their something we can do to get around it.
No real way around it as far as I can tell, they are very strict about the mileage limits because when you go for the sticker each time they write down the mileage and make you drive around the block to be sure that the odometer works. I believe that they allow you to drive up to 3000 miles per year with that sticker, Demonicbird00 (and tektrans) has a daily driver now so he should have no problem meeting that.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

correct you have a 3k mile limit

heres what it says for nj

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Inspectio....htm#Collector
Old 02-12-2010, 09:08 AM
CARTEK Racing

looks like I got to start the work...

Hey Marc... Ill give you $50 if you do the e-mailing and calling for me. I give you the VIN number, You get them to mail me the letter I need, I give you $50 in cash.

Deal?

Old 02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess no way to get around it directly but indirectly I think someone could switch off the odometer in the car once in awhile to keep it under the limit.

I seem to recall a buddy of mine did this in his 2001 Tahoe. It also turned off the speedo as well (which kind of makes sense).
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
looks like I got to start the work...

Hey Marc... Ill give you $50 if you do the e-mailing and calling for me. I give you the VIN number, You get them to mail me the letter I need, I give you $50 in cash.

Deal?

you have to bring the car to dmv, that gonna be a problem for you?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Talking

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01

Deal?

I dunno man, it really does look like A LOT of mess to go to through...and even after all of that they can still reject it.
That 50 large is tempting but since I've decided to not go through it with the Corvette just to avoid all of the numerous hassles involved I really can't see me taking on someone else's car now.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 02-12-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, I guess I should begin this process now.
Under normal circumstances, I have no problem staying under 3k miles in a year. I was thinking one of these years, I would like to do the Hot Rod Power Tour though, which may cause problem mileage wise.

Don't you need some type of collector car insurance as well? I have NJM which does not have any type of collector car insurance.