Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Just curious: is there anyone else here in the military or will be in the military?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1^^^

I have been active duty for 14+ years, been deployed to Iraq twice, and Kuwait. I spent 6 years with the Rakkasans at Fort Campbell, KY during those deployments, and served with one of the commanders from the Black Hawk Down incident. I am not going to name him in this public forum, but he is well known. damon_Z, all I can tell you is if you plan on becoming an 11 series officer, you will have a long road ahead of you. To make that road enjoyable and easy, take advice from jason00ss and learn from your NCOs and build esprit de corps with your team/platoon. Let go of the hoowah, kill them all stuff and concentrate on getting to know your troops, and becoming a team with them. You will get your chance somewhere during your career to lead them into battle, but I am telling you from experience that the greater reward is seeing that young troop benefiting from your leadership and coming back home alive. Most commanders I have interacted with have more of a focus of how to keep troops alive and safe while completing the mission, than when is my next fight and how can I win. Take pride in teaching, mentoring, and leading the troops than the number of battles won and the number of ribbons on your chest. One of your first leadership roles is a platoon leader. As a PL, your focus will not be the battle, but the training aspect. The pride and glory will be to get your entire platoon trained and earn the EIB. You will find more joy in the single and individual accomplishments that your troops do under your leadership. The Soldiers will make you a great leader, not the battles you get into. I hope this helps some. This is just my opinion of what I have experienced, and I hope it can help guide you in your upcoming career, and congratulations in becoming an Officer in the US Army. *salute*

SSG Craig Mullis
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

SSG Craig Mullis,

Thank you for heads-up. I am not an Army Officer yet, but starting on Tuesday, March 9, 2010, at Fort Benning, GA, I will be on the road to try and become one. I will definitely take your advice into consideration and hope that I have a good military future as a result of it.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Navy Chief here. Alittle over 14 years now. I have been some places
Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Hey Buddy,
CTR2(Navy E-5) Dow here,
They say the military is what you make of it. If you keep a positive attitude, work hard and are willing to learn and listen to those above AND below you, you'll go far. There are times when you will be in a place that everyone around you will hate, they get demotivated, don't let that happen. Try to always stay motivated. I work at a joint-command (Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Army, Coast Guard) and I think it's been very stressful having two separate chain of commands.
The best advice, always be courteous, keep a smile on your face, and "don't get too high on the highs, or too low on the lows". Know that when things are going bad there is usually always someone there going through the same thing, or will at least listen.
Never take "my buddy said this is how it is" to be the truth. If you've got a question about something, whether it be policy, regulations, or anything like that... Look it up. Do you're research. The military likes to have everything written out. Most people just go by what "my buddy said" and it will get you in trouble, or if it's bad enough, end a career.
I've only been in a short time, 4 years at one duty station, but I'm re-enlisting for another 6-years, moving across country and trying something new. You'll hear a lot of opinions from alot of people never go from just the first ones you ask. Ask around and try to formulate your own opinion about matters that mean something to you. They say "Never judge your time in the military based on your first tour".
One of the biggest things you will need to learn is flexibility. Flexibility about everything. Things in the military will change on an instant for many different reasons. Getting bent out of shape every time over the little things will break you down. You have to be resilient and expect things to change, because they always seem to.

Hope this, with all of the other things people have said will be of use.
Welcome to the family... Soon to be, Sir!

BTW, HOOYAH Chief who posted above me.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Well let me tell ya take heed to the advice that these men are giving you, cause they are not blowing smoke up your ***. I've been in the ARMY now for 7 years. 2 deployments OIF 05-06, OEF 08-09. War is glorious only to those whom haven't seen it. A good saying that I have told some of my soldiers is "Even great leaders at one time or another had to follow". Best of luck!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 AM
CARTEK Racing

Was nominated to the US Naval Acadamy in '01, never went. Always regret it. Been thinking about Navy OCS and Flight school ever since I graduated Architecture school in '07