Go Back   LS1TECH > REGIONAL FORUMS > Eastern Members
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Just curious: is there anyone else here in the military or will be in the military?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
damon_Z's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Originally from South Jersey; currently in Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 893
Send a message via AIM to damon_Z
Default Just curious: is there anyone else here in the military or will be in the military?

I am a degreed accountant who contracted with the U.S. Army in late August 2009 to be Active Duty for 3-years and Reserve for 5-years. I am looking forward to testing my physical fitness and to hopefully (and successfully) lead solders through battles depicted in Black Hawk Down. My ultimate goal is to be a Commissioned Officer for the U.S. Army Infantry and to deploy in any dangerous hot zone this exciting planet has to offer.

I am temporarily leaving my originally-owned vehicles, a 2002 Z28 and a 2006 GTO, to my very mature 17-year old little brother in Southern New Jersey. My last day of work as an accountant is Friday, March 5. I leave for warm-weathered Fort Benning, GA, on Tuesday, March 9, where at least 12 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 9 weeks of Officer Candidate School await me. I am anxious and excited at the same time. Presently, I think being rational, logical, unemotional, obedient, and having the ability to leave one's conscience out the door will be the qualities that will make any Soldier successful.

Is anyone else here in the military (or will be joining the military)? If so, then what service are you in? What's your rank and position? Where are you stationed? Why did you join the military?

Thanks in advance for the info.
__________________
ORIGINAL OWNER. DAILY DRIVEN. FOREVER.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.
damon_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now
 
southpaw0314's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: harford county, Maryland
Posts: 390
Send a message via ICQ to southpaw0314
Default

im in NROTC so im a Midshipmen, only advice i can think of right now would be to keep an open mind and have a positive attitude.
southpaw0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now
 
KevinR's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Euless Tx
Posts: 1,219
Default

I was in the Marine Corps. I was promoted to Sgt. in under 4 years as a Combat Engineer. Here is my 2 cents on your situation. You can make a lot more money in the "real world" but I admire your drive. If you are planning on making it a career then you are heading in the right direction with your coice of being an officer. Keep in mind, once you get into, what we called, the fleet you will be a boot butter bar that nobody really respects. (Its just the way it goes) Treat your people fair and listen to your NCO's, they hold their rank for a reason. I joined the Military in 97 because I always wondered what it would be like to hold the title of a Marine, and yes, it feels sooooooooo good. Good luck with whatever you do and keep your head down in hot spots.
__________________
2001 SOM Camaro (SOLD)
Fasttoys 85mm Lid, Fasttoys ram air, Pacesetter lt's, Custom x-pipe no cats, SY3500 (restalled to 3800), RapTR cam 236/242 617/613 111, Patriot Extreme springs w/titanium retainers, Ls7 lifters, 7.425 pushrods, Comp double roller timing chain, relocation brackets, lca's (That about sums it up)
KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ft lee/richmond, va
Posts: 64
Default

10 years as active duty military, US army, stationed in fort lee currently, have been around the world. Hate to say it but the stuff you see on blackhawk down doesn't happen all that often. That wasn't even a combat zone, and knowing/talking to a person from the real thing, not the movie, but was part of the blackhawk down mission, the movies gloritized the hell out of it.

That isn't something that you want, to be in a hotspot, or to lead soldiers into a hot spot. I've been on the other end of the spectrum, having to tell their parents what happened and that their soldier is no longer with us. It sucks even more having to put that person into the ground, fold the flag up and then hand it to their mother/father/spouse/child ect. The army is not all guts and glory. As a young LT being war bent and hell bound is going to get you and your joes killed. What you need to do is attach yourself to somebody you can look up to, enlisted and officer, and learn from them. Find a seasoned e7 or e8 and learn. A 1SG will be more than willing to teach you as long as you don't act like a punk.

I deployed to afghanistan in 2005-06. Emotion is part of the job. Your emotion is what pushes you to do what you do every day. This is not a job, this is a life. I worked in the ER for a year, and saw **** that you couldn't imagine. I could show you pictures that would haunt your dreams forever. I've seen soldiers die in my arms, i've seen soldiers come in piece by piece...your description of yourself, and again, no offense, but makes you sound like somebody I would not want as a leader. Post that same thing in the military lounge, see what they say, but I'm just one person with an opinion.

I joined in 2000 right out of High school. I've been in 10 years yes, and only attained the rank of e5, I joined because I wanted a job I could use when I got out of the military. I've worked as a medic and now work in the medical administration portions of the hospitals. I've medically boarded people out of the miltiary who served their country and followed direct orders, never waivering and questions, and now today they can't walk, are missing limbs, or have lost their minds. Being a commander is huge, and in doing so you have to be able to be emotional, and unobedient, think for yourself, and go against the grain, and think for yourself, we're not all machines, we're all human and people, we make mistakes, if you just go by a book, you'll punish every Joe under you w/o looking deeper, like was it a family problem, did something happen to make a soldier do this.

I don't mean to offend, and if you really want some advice let me know, I'm honest, and I don't want to see you fail, but just waht you said makes me believe that without a serious step back and reevaluation of life, you will. I hope that you don't, and I hope that you become a great leader, but my friend, it will take time, and learning, because you'll find many of your soldiers have bach. and masters degrees as well, we just enjoy being soldiers and being waste deep in the ****

Something else I can recommend, go to fort dix, nj or a close military base, talk to some of the higher ranking NCOs and Officers, ask them what makes them successful and what they've learned...you'll see a whole new world.
__________________
86 Monte SS, GN rear and 4.11 gears, lq9, 4l80e much more to come
http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/blubaldmontess
blubaldmontess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
damon_Z's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Originally from South Jersey; currently in Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 893
Send a message via AIM to damon_Z
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaldmontess View Post
10 years as active duty military, US army, stationed in fort lee currently, have been around the world. Hate to say it but the stuff you see on blackhawk down doesn't happen all that often. That wasn't even a combat zone, and knowing/talking to a person from the real thing, not the movie, but was part of the blackhawk down mission, the movies gloritized the hell out of it.

That isn't something that you want, to be in a hotspot, or to lead soldiers into a hot spot. I've been on the other end of the spectrum, having to tell their parents what happened and that their soldier is no longer with us. It sucks even more having to put that person into the ground, fold the flag up and then hand it to their mother/father/spouse/child ect. The army is not all guts and glory. As a young LT being war bent and hell bound is going to get you and your joes killed. What you need to do is attach yourself to somebody you can look up to, enlisted and officer, and learn from them. Find a seasoned e7 or e8 and learn. A 1SG will be more than willing to teach you as long as you don't act like a punk.

I deployed to afghanistan in 2005-06. Emotion is part of the job. Your emotion is what pushes you to do what you do every day. This is not a job, this is a life. I worked in the ER for a year, and saw **** that you couldn't imagine. I could show you pictures that would haunt your dreams forever. I've seen soldiers die in my arms, i've seen soldiers come in piece by piece...your description of yourself, and again, no offense, but makes you sound like somebody I would not want as a leader. Post that same thing in the military lounge, see what they say, but I'm just one person with an opinion.

I joined in 2000 right out of High school. I've been in 10 years yes, and only attained the rank of e5, I joined because I wanted a job I could use when I got out of the military. I've worked as a medic and now work in the medical administration portions of the hospitals. I've medically boarded people out of the miltiary who served their country and followed direct orders, never waivering and questions, and now today they can't walk, are missing limbs, or have lost their minds. Being a commander is huge, and in doing so you have to be able to be emotional, and unobedient, think for yourself, and go against the grain, and think for yourself, we're not all machines, we're all human and people, we make mistakes, if you just go by a book, you'll punish every Joe under you w/o looking deeper, like was it a family problem, did something happen to make a soldier do this.

I don't mean to offend, and if you really want some advice let me know, I'm honest, and I don't want to see you fail, but just waht you said makes me believe that without a serious step back and reevaluation of life, you will. I hope that you don't, and I hope that you become a great leader, but my friend, it will take time, and learning, because you'll find many of your soldiers have bach. and masters degrees as well, we just enjoy being soldiers and being waste deep in the ****

Something else I can recommend, go to fort dix, nj or a close military base, talk to some of the higher ranking NCOs and Officers, ask them what makes them successful and what they've learned...you'll see a whole new world.
I am glad that I created this thread, because I can get valuable feedback from people such as yourself. As an outsider looking in, I assumed that being detached, unemotional and obedient were sufficient qualities that would guarantee survival in the military, but I'm glad that you've disagreed and stated your reasons why. Now, I can change my focus and attitude accordingly. Thank you very much.
__________________
ORIGINAL OWNER. DAILY DRIVEN. FOREVER.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.
damon_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
TECH Apprentice
1996 Chevrolet Camaro
 
spcearle's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: rochester/brooklyn ny
Posts: 343
Send a message via AIM to spcearle Send a message via Yahoo to spcearle
Default

been in the guard for 16yrs here....11b/11c/13b
__________________
96 cheyanne red pearl z28..........383 lt1 w/lt4 topend//a4
spcearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ft lee/richmond, va
Posts: 64
Default

Damon, sorry if it came across as harsh, but this is my life, and I knwo that if you are coming in, I want people to be as happy as I've been in the miltiary. I love my job, but my life is taking care of soldiers, mine and every other one that has a question, needs a hand ect. Remember to lead, you must follow, and even when nobody is looking, somebody always sees when you do wrong.

Don't focus on the mental aspect of it all, that will come with time, each leader has a different style, picks little things from people around them. I've learned more from leadership that has been **** poor and cruel for no reason, why, because they are the ones I don't want to be like.

In all seriousness, I would reccomend going into the military forum and asking about the 11series if that is what you are interested in, but from my experiences, I leave you with this, its a fast promoting job, but if you aren't going to make the military your career choice for life, I would reccomend trying to get into something that will allow you to learn alot more; military intel and other jobs have long term uses, where as leading troops into battle...well, you can try to motivate civilians like that, but most days it doesn't work...ask how I know
__________________
86 Monte SS, GN rear and 4.11 gears, lq9, 4l80e much more to come
http://www.motortopia.com/garage/cars/blubaldmontess
blubaldmontess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
damon_Z's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Originally from South Jersey; currently in Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 893
Send a message via AIM to damon_Z
Default

Thank you again for the valuable information and insight. It's nice to know that the 11 series is a career with fast promotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaldmontess View Post
Damon, sorry if it came across as harsh, but this is my life, and I knwo that if you are coming in, I want people to be as happy as I've been in the miltiary. I love my job, but my life is taking care of soldiers, mine and every other one that has a question, needs a hand ect. Remember to lead, you must follow, and even when nobody is looking, somebody always sees when you do wrong.

Don't focus on the mental aspect of it all, that will come with time, each leader has a different style, picks little things from people around them. I've learned more from leadership that has been **** poor and cruel for no reason, why, because they are the ones I don't want to be like.

In all seriousness, I would reccomend going into the military forum and asking about the 11series if that is what you are interested in, but from my experiences, I leave you with this, its a fast promoting job, but if you aren't going to make the military your career choice for life, I would reccomend trying to get into something that will allow you to learn alot more; military intel and other jobs have long term uses, where as leading troops into battle...well, you can try to motivate civilians like that, but most days it doesn't work...ask how I know
__________________
ORIGINAL OWNER. DAILY DRIVEN. FOREVER.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.
damon_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
ace68's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 15
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,479
Default

I went through the OCS program at AMA last year,,,, good luck.

I have seen some others join as a 92A MOS (I think that is the MOS for OCS out of boot) none made it through. And the Cadre will be in your face because of it,, he,, he,, good times.



I am a Marine vet joined the Army and went to OCS a year after I was in. At OCS I found it more challenging than Marine Corps boot camp. You will need to score at least a 270 in your PT to avoid remedial Pt; you donít want to be there. Download an OCS guide and study the required knowledge section, you will have some down time in basic use it wisely. Be very familiar with drill and ceremony you may want to get a copy of FM 3-21.5. Knowing this will leave you time to study other things and keep you under the radar.


And forget the John Wane mentality you sound kind of eager to go to war.
__________________
ace68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
damon_Z's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Originally from South Jersey; currently in Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 893
Send a message via AIM to damon_Z
Default

Thank you for the info, ace68. My pre-BCT PFT with my recruiter was a 290 so I don't think I'll have a problem with any of the PFT's. I'm more concerned about losing my cool so I'll do my best to stay detached if the Cadres get in my face. It's also good to know from you that I will have some free time in BCT to study ahead. I'll definitely download the OCS guide that you mentioned.
__________________
ORIGINAL OWNER. DAILY DRIVEN. FOREVER.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.
damon_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4
Default

Ive been in Afghanistan for 7 months now as an Infantryman and if you think the war is like Black Hawk Down, you need to reconsider your plan. GWOT is rebuilding and peacekeeping. Good luck.
Dan-01-TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
12 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now
 
ace68's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 15
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,479
Default

Quote:
GWOT is rebuilding and peacekeeping. Good luck

I think the proper term used now is overseas contingency plan
__________________
ace68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Teching In
2001 Pontiac Trans Am
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4
Default

sure. i have lost all positive feelings for it.
Dan-01-TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #14
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 4
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: O-man
Posts: 409
Default

Congrats.

I am debating military (OCS).
Graduating college in May, International Relations major. I currently speak Arabic and Italian, some Spanish, and English of course. I would love to be able to put my Arabic to good use. Just have to see what the options are.
__________________

2002 SOM v6 camaro
2006 Volvo S60
stevethepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #15
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now
 
berlin 83's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 13
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Menifee CA
Posts: 39
Default

I'm Active Duty Marine, Cpl been in for 2 1/2 years i work on F-18's an am stationed in miramar cali it's a pretty good gig, aside from the B.S. you put up with
berlin 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #16
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
damon_Z's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Originally from South Jersey; currently in Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 893
Send a message via AIM to damon_Z
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethepirate View Post
Congrats.

I am debating military (OCS).
Graduating college in May, International Relations major. I currently speak Arabic and Italian, some Spanish, and English of course. I would love to be able to put my Arabic to good use. Just have to see what the options are.
Go for it. I've read that you can get a significant increase in pay just from being proficient in another language.
__________________
ORIGINAL OWNER. DAILY DRIVEN. FOREVER.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.
damon_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #17
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: lewisburg, pennsylvania
Posts: 234
Send a message via AIM to jason00ss
Default

joined in 02, 11B, nco since 05, 2 tours-oef 04-05 and oif 09, and like stated above, lose the gung ho mentality, listen to your men, especially the nco's that have been there before. i had a platoon leader in iraq that was gung ho and wanted to get into the ****. i wanted to frag him every chance i got(obviously didn't lol) if you're gonna be an officer in the 11 series mos, learn from your nco's and the ones that have been there, don't be afraid to be humble, and lead from the front and by example. good luck to you
__________________
00 ss-h/c/i 410hp/372tq
05 dodge ram daytona rc/sb hemi
03 suzuki gsxr 1000
jason00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:39 PM   #18
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now
 
Eskimo's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 9
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 513
Default

BTDT, got the t-shirt.

As was said, find a seasoned NCO and really listen to his advice, then find an officer who was prior enlisted and let them be your mentor.

We had 2 1LT's in my last unit... a guy who was enlisted, went WO, then OCS. Another who was a Citadel baby. Citadel ring-knocker couldn't figure out why we wouldn't follow him to lunch, but we'd follow the other guy right off a bridge if he asked us to.
__________________
Rich Q.
Toy: '98 T/A - Small BRE cam/243's, supporting mods, SSR GT-03 18/19's, big brakes, built to turn. Stump's Garage tuned
Trail: Toyota FJ-40 buggy - 5.3, 2.5 tons, 4-wheel steering, ORI's, 4-link, 42's
Tow: '04 Avalanche 2500 496ci, Stump's Garage tuned

My Psychologist says I have OMD - Obsessive Modification Disorder
Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #19
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now
 
damon_Z's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Originally from South Jersey; currently in Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 893
Send a message via AIM to damon_Z
Default

Jason and Eskimo, thank you for the heads-up. You guys put a smile to my space, because I prefer to eat lunch by myself. Just like in any situatuion I get myself into, I'm never there to make friends. I concentrate on the bottomline: fulfilling my job duties.
__________________
ORIGINAL OWNER. DAILY DRIVEN. FOREVER.

2015 Deep Black Pearl DSG GTI. For My Wife.
2006 Quicksilver Metallic M6 GTO. Holden Hybrid.
2002 Sunset Orange Metallic A4 Z28. 1SC-Stripper.
damon_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM   #20
Launching!
Garage is empty, add now
 
Trader Rating: 2
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: lewisburg, pennsylvania
Posts: 234
Send a message via AIM to jason00ss
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon_Z View Post
Jason and Eskimo, thank you for the heads-up. You guys put a smile to my space, because I prefer to eat lunch by myself. Just like in any situatuion I get myself into, I'm never there to make friends. I concentrate on the bottomline: fulfilling my job duties.
well, don't be afraid to eat with your men, shows them that you're not afraid to slum around in the trenches with them. but there is a fine line there NOT to cross of becoming their friends. as long as you are fair and firm, you will earn much more respect than being the "buddy". not meaning to get too far off topic, but don't volunteer your men for every **** detail or kiss *** for career progression, JOES SEE RIGHT THROUGH THAT! sorry for the mini rant, but i have a major beef with bad officers. remember, NCO's lead the way
__________________
00 ss-h/c/i 410hp/372tq
05 dodge ram daytona rc/sb hemi
03 suzuki gsxr 1000
jason00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply


Tags
92a, army, change, fort, glory, hotspot, lee, ls1, pay, pft, prebct, rank, thing, va, whats


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details