Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Picked up a new ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Picked up a new ride

Well, my car was officially sold about one month ago. The time came to pay off my loans and the brand new daily driver that I needed for all the traveling I do, so I sucked it up, found a great buyer (who is also a member of this forum now), and cried like a little girl as I watched it get trailered away.

Then after about a week I realized that having no fast vehicle just wasn't going to cut it for me. I had around $5,000-6,000 to play with, so I was considering a decent shape, high mileage foxbody or LT1, but then I realized I didn't want to deal with a high mileage, 15-25 year old vehicle, so I weighed my options and just picked this up yesterday...(flame suit on)

2007 GSXR 600

It's got 700 miles on it and it's brand new. Got a ridiculous deal on it because the previous owner had a Harley coming in and needed it gone. He bought it for his son and it scared the crap out of him, so it sat in their garage since late 2007 when they bought it new.

I've been racing cars for a while now so I figured it was time to try something different. Considering my budget, I just wanted something that was low mileage and no maintenance aside from oil changes and the usual. Took it for its first ride today and I'm in love with this thing. It's my first bike but I've got a little experience on dirtbikes (typical first time rider comment lol). It's comfortable, fun, and considering I only weigh 150 pounds, it should rip at the track and on the street once I get totally comfortable with it.

I'll be buying another car down the road, but it's such a different experience riding a bike vs driving a car that I can totally see myself with both at some point, swapping out weekends between them or some such nonsense.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 01-29-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats... that thing looks like it's never been ridden.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

badass. i just picked up my 04 750 last week
Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

looks good,congrats!! i went 10.96 @ 130 w/ my bone stock 06 gsxr 600
Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Congrats... that thing looks like it's never been ridden.
Thanks. Yeah, with 700 miles on it, it's pretty much brand new. I put more miles on it yesterday than it's seen since its first season. It's like it was never ridden anywhere except in a straight line because it's still got the glaze on a good portion of the tires.
Originally Posted by MTBSully
badass. i just picked up my 04 750 last week
Nice! What color? Pics?
Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
looks good,congrats!! i went 10.96 @ 130 w/ my bone stock 06 gsxr 600
Sweet. I figured with my weight and once I become a better rider, I should be able to crack a 10-second pass at 130, especially if I take it down to a NJ track. We'll see how I do up at Lebanon next year. If I get super comfortable with it, I might try a few passes later this season after I get all the extra gear I'll need for the track, but for now I just want to learn it and enjoy it. I'm in no rush to push it.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 04-19-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

nasty lookin bike, clean too
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice toy.

Hey stop by when you have a chance, I have that life insurance policy all filled out and whatnot, just need you to sign it.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
8 second mod

dont get hurt
congrats
Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
nasty lookin bike, clean too
Thanks, man.
Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Nice toy.

Hey stop by when you have a chance, I have that life insurance policy all filled out and whatnot, just need you to sign it.

Originally Posted by Noyzee
dont get hurt
congrats
I'll do my best. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

They are certainly sweet machines. I had an 04 GSXR600 last year. I'm looking around for a clean black/orange 750 now.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 PM
12 Second Club

Nice bike dude, Gixxers are always a good choice.

Be careful and safe...and ALERT from other drivers!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Launching!

IMO, if you bought that bike just to ride fast in a straight line you bought it for the wrong reason. Head out to Northwestern & Northeastern Connecticut if you really want to put that bike through it's paces. Those are some of the best roads around. Back when I had my 636 my friends and I would be out those ways every sunny weekend. Oh BTW, check out www.bandofriders.net; great group of local riders. Last but not least, if you haven't already.... BUY QUALITY GEAR and take a MSF course. Be safe on it and keep the rubber side down.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're crazy.

J/K Nice bike, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it. I went for a V Twin cruiser myself. I love having a fun car and a bike, I'm really more passionate about the car but on a nice warm day it's great to hop on the bike and go for a cruise. It's a pretty cheap hobby too, insurance is around $100 a year, and they getter better mileage than econo cars while having sports car power. The MSF course is a great investment if you haven't already done it. Also be careful not to get caught too far from home when it gets cool at night, I did that several times, thought I was gonna get frostbite!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
and take a MSF course. Be safe on it and keep the rubber side down.
MSF course is great advice. I've taken 2 MSF courses. You learn a lot, you get an insurance discount and it's also fun.
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=3531&q=259454
Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brians91formula
They are certainly sweet machines. I had an 04 GSXR600 last year. I'm looking around for a clean black/orange 750 now.
Nice. I saw a brand new black/orange 600 in my brother's shop the other day. Killer color combination.
Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Nice bike dude, Gixxers are always a good choice.

Be careful and safe...and ALERT from other drivers!!!
After a few days of riding, I now see why you're supposed to give bikes so much room. If everyone had experience on a bike, I'm sure your average driver would be a bit more alert and safe when it comes to riding near bikes.
Originally Posted by SantaCruz163
IMO, if you bought that bike just to ride fast in a straight line you bought it for the wrong reason. Head out to Northwestern & Northeastern Connecticut if you really want to put that bike through it's paces. Those are some of the best roads around. Back when I had my 636 my friends and I would be out those ways every sunny weekend. Oh BTW, check out www.bandofriders.net; great group of local riders. Last but not least, if you haven't already.... BUY QUALITY GEAR and take a MSF course. Be safe on it and keep the rubber side down.
I didn't buy it just for the straight lines, but I do like going to the drag strip. I've been on mostly back roads so far and I do see how much fun the twisties are, so I will be doing a lot more exploring throughout the state as it gets warmer. I'll checkout that site. I've got good gear and I'll be taking the MSF course soon.
Originally Posted by Formula413
You're crazy.

J/K Nice bike, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it. I went for a V Twin cruiser myself. I love having a fun car and a bike, I'm really more passionate about the car but on a nice warm day it's great to hop on the bike and go for a cruise. It's a pretty cheap hobby too, insurance is around $100 a year, and they getter better mileage than econo cars while having sports car power. The MSF course is a great investment if you haven't already done it. Also be careful not to get caught too far from home when it gets cool at night, I did that several times, thought I was gonna get frostbite!!!
Yeah, I can definitely see having a bike and a car. Two totally different worlds. Getting the bike didn't necessarily quench my thirst for a fast car so much as gave me something else that's fast and fun in its own way to enjoy until I can afford another car.
Originally Posted by massls1guy
MSF course is great advice. I've taken 2 MSF courses. You learn a lot, you get an insurance discount and it's also fun.
http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=3531&q=259454
Yeah, I'll definitely be taking it ASAP. It looks fun and I'm sure it will make me a much better rider.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

That bike is NICE and that's coming from a Harley/cruiser fan. My dad has both the muscle car and the bike thing going on and says the bike is just a whole different experience. Once I land myself a decent job I'll have to pick one up and see for myself, just be careful my dad is always bitching about "the other drivers".
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
That bike is NICE and that's coming from a Harley/cruiser fan. My dad has both the muscle car and the bike thing going on and says the bike is just a whole different experience. Once I land myself a decent job I'll have to pick one up and see for myself, just be careful my dad is always bitching about "the other drivers".
After just a couple days of riding, I completely understand why. I now know why when you're learning to drive, the instructors and manuals tell you to give bikes a lot of extra room, a big thing for me being that we can stop so much quicker without even realizing it. I was shocked at how fast this bike comes to a stop even when I'm smooth and easy on the brakes, and it doesn't even feel like it. What feels like a totally normal stop to me has me stopping a good two car lengths before where I would have in my car when I'm slowing from a 40-50 mph cruise. That can make a huge difference when you're not keeping an eye on your mirrors and the guy behind you is riding your *** while talking on his cell phone.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait 'til you get the teenage girls tailgaiting you, that's always LOADS of fun...
Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula413
Wait 'til you get the teenage girls tailgaiting you, that's always LOADS of fun...
i get that problem all the time....

and i love it
Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Teching In

nice, i got an 06 gsxr 1000. i absolutely love it