Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Window Tint Pennsylvania

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint Pennsylvania

I was pulled over in my Subaru today. I'm looking for a place or person to check the grade % of my tint.
On top of the tint in the notes, it says VERY DARK TINT, UNABLE TO SEE INTO CAR, WARNED FOR 75 MPH IN 55 ZONE, CALLED IN AS ERATIC DRIVER.

Best part of it was he never mentioned my speed when he pulled me over. I was doing 60-65 and I could see the cop for a mile sitting on the road. Then we had to call the state's office to ask them why he put on the Eratic Driver and the guy said some lady called about a Silver Car driving fast and unsafe. My girlfriend was in the car with me. I was driving slow and in a straight line the entire way. Funny thing is he put "warned for 75" yet I just received a ticket in March for doing 70mph. I can't believe the cop lied about both remarks. It's $109 and I don't believe the do points but I want to fight it. I need help.
Also, there was a car show of some sort going on near Parkesburg, PA. I was seeing alot of subies, evo's, vw, all driving North on Route 10. If anyone has information on this show/gathering that would help too.

Last edited by transfan0186; 05-02-2010 at 05:16 PM. Reason: extra
Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last i knew the limit on the front windows is 70 or 75 percent, when a window without any tint is about 95 percent. so you could image how light the tint would have to be in order to be legal. good luck with the speeding part of the ticket, thats ridiculous that he warned you then got a ticket in the mail. i would fight it too.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Essentially no tint is legal. (Without medical necessity) As stealth mentioned above, the "legal" limit is like having none...

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-sun.pdf
Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if I'll continue to fight it. Funny how the citation mentions nothing of removing the tint. My brother is going to check it out with a light meter at his station. We'll see what it says. I'll probably end up paying the fine. Just don't feel like taking a day off work for the trail.. who knows..
Old 05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in MD, but i'm sure that THIS law applies in PA as well. The law i'm talking about is Window Tinting Law. In MD the Legal Limit is 35%, in VA i believe it is 70%, not sure about PA... The cops around my area dont bother you unless they literally cannot see in your windows but even then THEY CAN NOT WRITE YOU A TICKET IF THEY HAVE NO LEGALLY CHECKED THE TINT PERCENTAGED. In MD only the State Troopers carry the instrument to check the percentage of window tint... I have my windows tinted 10% all the way around & my friend has his truck tinted 5% on the back windows, 20% on the front, & 35% over the whole front windsheild and we have never gotten pulled over. IDK, just my $.02 but i dont think the cop had the right to give you a ticket for window tint.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

I agree. I bought the car in MD. I believe the tint on my car could possibly be somewhere between 30-35%. PA law is 70% light or 30% tint. My brother is a regional officer and he was completely shocked with the way the state trooper wrote the citation. He never used a light meter and he never took off his sunglasses. In addition he put false remarks on my citation!! I think that bugs me more so than the tint. The trooper maybe right be he handled it the wrong way.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

its a losing battle when you're fighting a tint ticket...i would just pay it and be done unless you wanna go through the trouble of removing the tint and taking pictures...thats the only way you're gonna beat that.

FYIW...if Parksburg is anywhere near Morgantown than you are correct..there was a huge car show going on at the Morgantown sonic....all sorts of vehicles but the top vehicle of choice amongst the group is the WrX.

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=93448
Old 05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TNTramair
its a losing battle when you're fighting a tint ticket...i would just pay it and be done unless you wanna go through the trouble of removing the tint and taking pictures...thats the only way you're gonna beat that.

FYIW...if Parksburg is anywhere near Morgantown than you are correct..there was a huge car show going on at the Morgantown sonic....all sorts of vehicles but the top vehicle of choice amongst the group is the WrX.

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=93448
Yup it was in Morgantown, I was there.

It was 90% ricers and shitty cars along with wrx's, evo's and what not. Only a couple nice Vettes and F-bodies. They were all flying around the parking lot like idiots. I was tired of hearing turbos within the first 10 min.
BTW, how you been TNT?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6
Yup it was in Morgantown, I was there.

It was 90% ricers and shitty cars along with wrx's, evo's and what not. Only a couple nice Vettes and F-bodies. They were all flying around the parking lot like idiots. I was tired of hearing turbos within the first 10 min.
BTW, how you been TNT?

pretty good...like the new rims!!