Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

fatality @ E-Town

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fatality @ E-Town

Unconfirmedd fatality at E-Town, Alcohol car goes 260 mph into net at top end. Postting for PDA
Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not again
Old 06-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Teching In

wow....
Old 06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Not good

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...GVP-wD9G97ELG0
Old 06-11-2010, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

R.I.P

saw this on NHRA site
Headley spun the tires coming off the starting line and it sounded as if he never shifted. Parker ran his career best ET and speed but then never opened his chutes. The car went off the track into the sand. We'll be down here for a while.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Teching In

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...GVP-wD9G97ELG0

Terrible.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

damn! I wonder how much he was able to slow down w/o the chute?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Just got home- the accident happened at around 11:45 or so, and when I saw it- I knew it was bad. The car hit the sand and it was like a stone skimming off a lake.

The ensuing investigation and track repair didn't end until like 4:15, so everything was shut down 4 hours.

This is becoming a sadly regular thing at E-Town, whatever the reason is.

I would never complain about this ruining my day- because a man lost his life today.

Very sad overcast to go with the weather.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
damn! I wonder how much he was able to slow down w/o the chute?
It looked like he didn't even lift.. 250 mph.

State police and racing officials said they will continue investigating the high-speed crash at Old Bridge Raceway Park that killed drag racer Neal Parker on Friday afternoon.

Parker, a 58-year-old Millville man, died of head injuries after his car ran through a net at the end of the track during a Top Alcohol Funny Car qualifying race, the New Jersey State Police said. An entry list for the event said that Parker was driving a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The deadly collision, which came during the 2010 NHRA's SuperNationals, occurred around noon and was the second at the track since June 2008. In a statement issued late Friday afternoon, the NHRA said Parker crashed at a high speed in the shutdown area and was pronounced dead. A results page on the NHRA website said the car never opened its chutes before going off the track and into the sand. "On behalf of everyone at NHRA and Raceway Park, we are deeply saddened and want to pass along our sincere condolences to the entire Parker family,'' the statement said. According to the NHRA results page, Parker achieved a new personal best when he reached 249 mph in his alcohol funny car in 5.7 seconds. "He's been doing it for 40 years and this time it caught up to him," his older brother, Winfield R. "Bud'' Parker Jr., said later Friday. Parker, 67, of Highland Street in Commercial Township, learned what happened in a telephone call from a friend at the race. "He had a good run,'' Parker said. "He got to 250 (mph).'' The Associated Press reported that the car ran through a containment area with soft barriers, sand and a safety net and wound up in pieces in front of a wall at the edge of the raceway property. Spectator David Farrah of Manalapan said it appeared the chute malfunctioned. "It looked like the chute just didn't open and he couldn't stop,'' Farrah said. "The car was just crushed. It was tragic.'' Another spectator, George Tompkins, 63, of Metuchen, said he left the stands shortly before the crash. He didn't see the wreck, but said he heard it. "You heard that sound and knew right away that it was bad,'' he said. Races at the Pension Road track were halted after the fatal crash before resuming around 4 p.m. The NHRA said it was investigating the accident with the State Police. Top drag racer Scott Kalitta was killed nearly two years ago in a fiery crash at the same track. The 46-year-old was in the final qualifying round Saturday, June 21, 2008, in the NHRA's Lucas Oil SuperNationals when his Funny Car exploded into flames and crashed at the end of the quarter-mile track. Television replays showed Kalitta's car ignite about 1,000 feet down the track. His Funny Car hit a top speed of 300.73 miles per hour and crossed the line in 4.974 seconds. Investigators determined that a massive engine failure triggered that crash. Bud Parker said racing took an early hold on his brother, who started out helping out with his big brother's race car. Bud Parker, a retired city police officer, eventually quit racing. He's not sure why racing took hold of his brother, who also raced at the former Vineland Speedway. "We kind of went separate ways,'' Parker said. "I'm quite a bit older. We both worked on my dad's farm. We were good brothers. We never had any problems. We hunted in Pennsylvania and different places. "I only saw him race once,'' he added. "That was several years ago. I enjoy drag racing but I wouldn't go up in the crowds.'' Neal Parker had lived on a family farm on East Broad Street for 35 years with his wife Betsy Jo, a horse trainer. The couple had no children. When not racing, Neal Parker made his living with a one-man excavation business. "Everybody liked him and he was a good guy,'' his brother said. The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Last edited by Mr. B; 06-11-2010 at 07:23 PM. Reason: mph wrong
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very sad, got there at 230pm expecting to see promods come to the line sat in the stands for 45 min till they said he was killed...

then when racing did start a pro stock bike went into the sand....
Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very sad. RIP
Old 06-12-2010, 02:37 AM
10 Second Club

Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Teching In

I'm curious to see a video of what happened. Witnesses said the shoot "malfunctioned". Does that mean it released, but didn't open; or does it mean that it never even released? Big difference.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:46 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
I'm curious to see a video of what happened. Witnesses said the shoot "malfunctioned". Does that mean it released, but didn't open; or does it mean that it never even released? Big difference.

Chutes were never deployed.. just before the car hit the sand the announcer said "a little late on the chutes" and then it was too late.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Very sad news..
Old 06-12-2010, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Terrible to hear, RIP
Old 06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a tragedy that it happened, and it might be the final coffin in E-town hosting the NHRA events. I can't say for sure, but having two fatal accidents in such a short time isn't going to help at all.

I think it's just a freak occurance, but the spotlight is going to be on the track for sure. I'm not sure the outcome would have been different at any other track. I mean if the shoot fails to open when the car is going 250+ miles an hour, I'm not sure what's going to stop them other than a 2-3 mile long uphill shitdown run.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Def sad news. I wonder though to make it safer if they could deploy flaps that open to also slow the cars down.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

He was my Uncle's next door neighbor..
The crew ran a transmission place that does all of the police, state police, ambulance and Cumberland county n.j. vehicle trans build ups, re builds, ect....
Still to fresh to ask what they think happened...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:49 AM
9 Second Club

It's a crime what's going on there. All they have to do is bend Pension road a bit to give the shutdown area the proper room it needs to support the speed of these cars. The track, town, polititians should should have had a solution by now, it's a sin.
Check out all the damn room available and see if you think these deaths could've been avoided.