Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Winter Tire Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Winter Tire Opinion

Well let me start off as this is for our daily drivers. The T/A is parked in cool/dry storage and hybernating nicely.

Cars:

2000 Buick Century- Custom, Auto, 3.1L v6, 75k, Trac Control/ABS
2007 Chevrolet HHR- 1LT, Auto 2.2L I4, 25k, No ABS but has Accel Cont (over spinning of tires)

Conditions:

Being in Connecticut we get all types between Rain, Snow, Ice, and when it comes to getting to work we both have to deal with Steep hills whether it be from getting to our homes or to work. Hills are everywhere. Plowing is hit or miss as every town has basically drained their budgets so secondary roads are terrible and highways are not much better. Both companies we work for are renowned for not closing due to weather so we need to show up.

Situation:

The Buick is pretty good in the snow, for the most part. I had just replaced the tires with Mastercraft pieces. They do pretty good for the car, they have spun in snow but for the most part I would not be afraid of driving in them. So maybe for this year I won't worry as much. I may get a set of winter only on sep. rims on the front, we will see.

The main point of the post is for the Wife's car. As much as both of us not liking the car, as far as car payments, we are stuck with it and to be honest might as well keep it for the long term, so the car needs better tires for the snowy season.

I really can't afford a seperate set of rims/tires right now and I want something that is good to drive all year but have really good snow grip. These will be studless and the point is to be able to use them year round. From what I understand that it is not ideal to drive on these all year round but I really need some opinions or ideas on what works well, given the Parameters.

I have used a few sets of Snow Tires Such as Blizzaks and my favorite; Nokian Hakkapeliitta R

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...kapeliitta%20R

I guess to say is I need a set thats good all year, especially in snow and specifically for snow conditions. As if I needed to take the car, I will be able to do well and not worry. I am looking for alternatives, opinions, exp and maybe best place to buy if it is not offered everywhere.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian%20WR Seemingly the All Year Round version.

These are the 2 sizes:

16" Recommended: 215/55-16 or
16" Alternate: 205/60-16

Discuss!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on your requirements of using it all year round, I would definitely not go with a dedicated snow/winter tire obviously. You will just chew them up in the warmer dry weather. If you are going with an all season, I would probably stick with the recommended 215 size. If you did go with a dedicated snow tire (maybe swap them over at the beginning of the season each year), then go with a slightly narrower tire like that 205.

I will say from the last 3 years of driving my G35 with Blizzaks... snow tires are more than worth the money if you don't mind getting a second set of rims, or swapping them out each year. I never thought a 300hp RWD coupe could feel as safe as it does in bad weather. I will swear by snow tires from now on. But if you are not in a position to do so, I would just look up reviews and comparisons of some different all seasons on Tirerack or something.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Launching!

I'm not that familiar with Nokian, and I don't think I know anyone that has them. Hmmm...
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Reidonly
I'm not that familiar with Nokian, and I don't think I know anyone that has them. Hmmm...
Yea, they are not sold everywhere.

I used them on a 1995 Acura Integra GSR 5 Speed which was horrible in snow and once these got on they were some of the best tires I have ever used. I got everywhere with these up until the car got stolen a year later. Doh!

Recently googled and found a few internet sites so far.

I fear having to find a set of winter rims but trying to avoid that.

Basically I figure that some people here have bought some brands that I never heard of.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

have used a few set of goodyear associated brands tires this winter on customer's cars aand have been doing well. local warehouse is out of stock at the moment but looks like 55-60 bucks each. depending on how many miles you drive car per year maybe just run them through summer and buy a new pair come winter time? i know not recommended and will wear out faster but just run them year rround
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a set of junk yard tires on my beater car they looked new when i got them a year ago and the car is a beast in the snow and for $100 i am fine with them...

i wouldnt invest in anything special for tires for a front wheel drive car as they are usually very good in the snow with a decent all season tire..imo
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thechef
I got a set of junk yard tires on my beater car they looked new when i got them a year ago and the car is a beast in the snow and for $100 i am fine with them...

i wouldnt invest in anything special for tires for a front wheel drive car as they are usually very good in the snow with a decent all season tire..imo
Normally I would agree but the issue with the HHR is that its not wide or at least the center of gravity is high and basically aside from the rear seats there is basically a hollow shell in the back so the car feels extremely unsafe/unstable.

Since IMO the weight is not distributed the way I would feel safe, at least having good tires would be a vast improvement. Flat out this car has no traction on any slick surface and most times I gotta get a running start to get up my driveway. Actually Chef, you have been to my home in Wallyworld and that street is terrible.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

HHR = horrible horrible ride

Buy a set of studded blizzack's, put them on there. Spring tme comes along, have them dismounted, and put a set of regular tires on it. Rear tires don't even matter in a fwd rollerskate... they're just there for the ride.

That would be the best option, and in the long run the cheapest. Your father in law must know someone with a tire machine and a balancer that can dismount the winter tires in the spring and swap them over, and repeat in the following fall.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
HHR = horrible horrible ride

Buy a set of studded blizzack's, put them on there. Spring tme comes along, have them dismounted, and put a set of regular tires on it. Rear tires don't even matter in a fwd rollerskate... they're just there for the ride.

That would be the best option, and in the long run the cheapest. Your father in law must know someone with a tire machine and a balancer that can dismount the winter tires in the spring and swap them over, and repeat in the following fall.
Lol. Nice!

Considering you almost bought an HHR thats actually funny.

The nice part is my brother does all that crap for free and at this point will be what i will have to do. Just sucks considering how little we use it.

Aside from noise, anything to worry about on Studded Tires??
Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Nope. Studded tires FTW in the winter time. NO issues, done it on several cars in the past, never had a problem. Just take them off in the spring, cops don't like it after april or whatever the law is.

And I came to my senses, before we bought one of those things. Wife's car isn't that much better... but in the end, it's not labeled "horrible horrible ride"
Old 01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Nope. Studded tires FTW in the winter time. NO issues, done it on several cars in the past, never had a problem. Just take them off in the spring, cops don't like it after april or whatever the law is.

And I came to my senses, before we bought one of those things. Wife's car isn't that much better... but in the end, it's not labeled "horrible horrible ride"
Sounds good, will start searching for Studded Blizzaks in that size.

But to mention, that your Wife's car will not be "Avenging" ANYTHING, ANYTIME soon!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First, I wouldn't recommend putting winter tires on the front only. The back end will kick out much easier then.

Second, studded tires aren't really necessary IMO unless you will see a lot of ice.

Third, I've never used snow tires in my life, even though I'd like to get some, so take my opinions with a big grain of rock salt

Fourth, has anyone tried siping their tires? It involves cutting a bunch of tiny slits in your regular all season tires to give them better traction in rain, snow, and ice. Some people swear it helps a lot (on the internet, lol). Don't know anyone in real life that's tried it, seems like no one's even heard of it. Just wondered if anyone else tried it.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Teching In

I just made a set for my daily. Hit me up if you want some too!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Internet Mechanic

Thats a sweet sweet setup.

I got to work with minimal damage, I lost an air dam due to plowing snow with it but those Mastercraft tires did quite good.

I had to move the HHR and that sucked *****, so next will be a set of something, probably Blizzaks or if Mastercraft makes a studded tire, maybe those.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by X-ray
First, I wouldn't recommend putting winter tires on the front only. The back end will kick out much easier then.

Second, studded tires aren't really necessary IMO unless you will see a lot of ice.

Third, I've never used snow tires in my life, even though I'd like to get some, so take my opinions with a big grain of rock salt

Fourth, has anyone tried siping their tires? It involves cutting a bunch of tiny slits in your regular all season tires to give them better traction in rain, snow, and ice. Some people swear it helps a lot (on the internet, lol). Don't know anyone in real life that's tried it, seems like no one's even heard of it. Just wondered if anyone else tried it.
Agreed - Winter's on all 4. And for that matter, they don't need to be the absolute best winter's in the world - even cheapy Firestone Winterforce tires are better in the cold than any all-season.

For siping, most all-season tires are moderately siped already, and yes, it does help in the wet and snow. What it can't do is completely make up for the harder rubber compound of an all-season vs. a winter tire. the compound staying soft is a major factor in their performance in the slop. You'll also find that most all winter tires are heavily siped already.

My first-hand experience with siping comes from off-road tires, and it noticeably improved wet traction..
Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by X-ray

Its really not that bad and at least you can still steer with the front tires, rather than having them plow you into a snow bank.

My piece of **** FWD winter car has snow's on the front and all seasons out back. It's MUCH better in the snow now, just dont go flying around corners or you might be drifting it.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Internet Mechanic

I think in the case of the HHR I do not think I will have a choice as I do not need my wife wrecking out. That car will get a set of 4.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Agreed - Winter's on all 4. And for that matter, they don't need to be the absolute best winter's in the world - even cheapy Firestone Winterforce tires are better in the cold than any all-season.

For siping, most all-season tires are moderately siped already, and yes, it does help in the wet and snow. What it can't do is completely make up for the harder rubber compound of an all-season vs. a winter tire. the compound staying soft is a major factor in their performance in the slop. You'll also find that most all winter tires are heavily siped already.

My first-hand experience with siping comes from off-road tires, and it noticeably improved wet traction..
Interesting, thanks for the info. I guess there's no point in siping all seasons then since they probably are already.

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Its really not that bad and at least you can still steer with the front tires, rather than having them plow you into a snow bank.

My piece of **** FWD winter car has snow's on the front and all seasons out back. It's MUCH better in the snow now, just dont go flying around corners or you might be drifting it.
Makes sense. It's still better to have them on all 4 if you can afford it, but I guess having them on the front only is fine if you're careful. Definitely gotta do all 4 if you're RWD though

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Opinion