Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Need help passing emissions in CT

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help passing emissions in CT

My 99 T/A recently failed emissions in CT because they have instituted a visual inspection and my car does not have cats on it. The guy at the shop said that it is a new law and admitted that he had to put cats back on his car as well. He suggested that I get one high flow cat and have it welded in just after the "Y" in the Y pipe because they just need to see that there is a cat on it. How would you all suggest I take care of this? I want to spend as little money as possible and I do not want any more restrictions on my exhaust. If I had a cat welded in, it would definitely be gutted. Please let me know what you think.

FYI: prior to this new law in CT there was no visual inspection and you can pass emissions on 1996+ cars if you SES light is not on and there are no codes being thrown. I have removed all emissions equipment from my car (air pump, egr, cats) but the mechanic only mentioned looking for cats. I've had my tuner delete the codes from my car so it will pass without rear 02's and the other equipment.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy 2 high flow cats and have him fabricate them into your current y-pipe. Thats what I'd do. Or you could buy those "fake cats" that do nothing besides look like a catalytic converter.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I would go with the fake/gutted cats. No need to get a real one unless there is a sniff test.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

There is currently no sniff test in CT (hopefully never) so I think I'll buy either have one gutted/fake cat welded in just after the "Y" or try to fabricate something that just looks like a cat that I can throw on there with some U-bolts for the test.

Anyone ever get a ticket from a cop for not having cats on? In my opinion if you pass emissions without them then you could not be liable for any ticket BS. But I also heard that CT (and i'm sure most states) now have crazy ticket amounts for not having cats because their in such poor financial state.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:54 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottahavels1
Anyone ever get a ticket from a cop for not having cats on? In my opinion if you pass emissions without them then you could not be liable for any ticket BS. But I also heard that CT (and i'm sure most states) now have crazy ticket amounts for not having cats because their in such poor financial state.
Well, you could always buy a '74 or earlier car, then you'd never have to worry about cats or laws regarding cats. Yeah I know, that really doesn't answer your question.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Banned

I would take out a section of pipe that is nice and straight. then find a cat that fits that demension. used some band clamps to put it in place. pass your emissions test, then take piece of pipe and band clamp it back in place. viola. if you were going all out, then have flanges welded on the pipe and cat so you can switch back and forth and worry less about a leak.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Gottahavels1

Unless your exhaust is really loud there is little chance of getting a ticket for no 'cats'. How many times have you seen a cop down on hands and knees looking at the exhaust underneath?? Doesn't happen too often but if the exhaust is too loud then all bets are off the table.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

There's always been a visual inspection, it's up to the tester to actually look. When I did CT Emissions in 2005 I never looked at a single one except for this one shitbox Rodeo that failed because it had no cat and the computer told me so. My 99 Trans Am with a ORY passed with flying colors, obviously no visual inspection.

Best advice, just go to another testing station, chances are the guy won't check.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate Ct even more now. Im due for my emissions I think in oct. Iv never heard this new law until now. Are you sure this is new? Because they were always suposed to do a visual but from my expirience if you go to the right shop they dont give a rats *** unless you have codes.

This should be posted in the eastern forum. It would be more help.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Like stated above, this isn't a "new" law. Someone testers are just too lazy/don't care to look.
I don't see how you can complain about a high-flow cat/cats being to restrictive with your current mods. I bet you wouldn't notice a difference.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
I would take out a section of pipe that is nice and straight. then find a cat that fits that demension. used some band clamps to put it in place. pass your emissions test, then take piece of pipe and band clamp it back in place. viola. if you were going all out, then have flanges welded on the pipe and cat so you can switch back and forth and worry less about a leak.
If it came down to it, this is what I'd do. But I agree with the feeling, just find another shop that is less strict, there are plenty out there.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:59 PM

try going to another shop and see what happens, if u failed just say you had your batt disconnected and had to do more drive cycles...if they look then your screwed and wont pass, but you might get by, or get some fake cats cut them in half and clamp them on for the inspection, i have done that before, i have also gone to a different shop and had that work also,,,

i am now switching my headers to a brand that has a catted y pipe that i can swap when i need it for inspection.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

where in ct are u? try another place. like everyone said, people r lazy and dont check!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cut a junk cat in half the long way, and clamp it over an existing strait pipe.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A pre 74 car works better tho
Old 07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Cut a junk cat in half the long way, and clamp it over an existing strait pipe.
+1 hell yes
Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd be lying if I said I didn't know of several cars with the fake cats welded into the exhaust, or just a hollow cat case welded over a strait piece of pipe, or the like.

I can't remember the website that sells the "fake cats", but they're pretty cheap, and easy to cut in 1/2 and bang around the Y pipe so they "look" like they're there.. and unless they put the car up on a lift they're going to look under the car, see a shiny looking brand new cat on there and send ya on your way.

You could just do 1 and put it over the I pipe farther back if ya want too.. if the guy told ya that would do the trick, get the fake cat, cut the top of it out, and do that, get a set of band clamps and put it right over the existing pipe. Done deal.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 PM
10 Second Club

Something like this...http://www.frozenboost.com/product_i...04a9f3530288b7
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Even if you have a cat or two they could still fail you if the cats are not in the stock location.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LMFAO read the disclaimer

"The product description above is for entertainment purposes only. This product does not perform the exhaust cleansing function of a catalytic converter in any way. Use of this product on or off the road violates countless laws and may prevent your car from passing emissions. It is unlawful to install this product in any vehicle in the United States, ever. If you wish to return this product at any time in the future, a full refund will be issued. This product should only be purchased by lawyers with pre-1975 vehicles or purpose built off-road vehicles that did not come with catalytic converters from the factory who know for a fact that it is legal to use in their vehicle in their jurisdiction for aesthetic reasons only. If you are not one of those lawyers, this product should only be hung on your wall to express your rebellious nature, never installed in a vehicle. This product may cause cancer."

Quick Reply: Need help passing emissions in CT