Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

another virginia emission post...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default another virginia emission post...

so thanks to ****ty parking and living in the biggest pain in the *** area of virginia i have to figure something out with my cars...

had a cop knock on our door to tell me i need to have my vehicles registered in virginia... not sure how to get around that... i'm 26 so not sure if student would work.... currently my cars are legal and registered in georgia. i was looking into getting them registered here in nova but my camaro is gonna be a problem...

it has no egr, no air, no charcoal canister, no fuel evap or whatever... pretty much nothing... no cats... i can easily slap some cats on it but i don't know about the rest... it has a custom made fuel cell with factory fuel pump assembly and none of the emissions crap on it....

am i **** outta luck with even trying to regster here? any input would be appreciated.
also, i am currently in loudon county. leesburg area..
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.f-bodyhideout.com/forums/...irginia/page2?
This might help u out on page 2 5th comment is what I'm going to do when I take my cats out. But then there's still visual inspection which would fail but u can get around emissions this way apparently.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Do you still own a residence in Georgia?
Technically if you own/live in a residence in georgia they can not make you change your tags, as you would be a joint resident.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

yes, i do still have a place of residence in georgia. the problem is they are bitching about how both my cars are constantly here... neighbors constantly complain about parking so they keep patrolling our townhomes
Old 10-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Legally they can not do anything, so if they continue hit them for harrasment.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
yes, i do still have a place of residence in georgia. the problem is they are bitching about how both my cars are constantly here... neighbors constantly complain about parking so they keep patrolling our townhomes
What you need is a "city" tag. Virginia requires any vehicle parked in the state to display a local municipality sticker. There are a few that do not require it (such as McLean, where I used to live), but most all other places require it. I don't believe you'll actually need to get inspected to get one of the stickers.

Furthermore, you really want to avoid registering in VA for as long as possible since you'll have to pay property tax on your car each year.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonspeed
What you need is a "city" tag. Virginia requires any vehicle parked in the state to display a local municipality sticker. There are a few that do not require it (such as McLean, where I used to live), but most all other places require it. I don't believe you'll actually need to get inspected to get one of the stickers.

Furthermore, you really want to avoid registering in VA for as long as possible since you'll have to pay property tax on your car each year.
i'm gonna start by getting those stickers and see how things go from there. i already pay property taxes in georgia each year but i doubt ga is as much as va.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by demonspeed

twice a year , on top of town of leesburg fees , i heard there are some places in town that will pass you no problem, just have to throw them some extra money ...... shoot me a text if you end up needing to get inspected
Old 10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Teching In

I work in leesburg Va. I have received a ticket in the mail for emissions. They actually set up on over passes and can read the emission coming out of your exhaust. Its bs.
If you can register in clark or fredrick county which is west over the blue ridge we do not have emissions test there.

Last edited by 03turbomach1; 10-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:11 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 03turbomach1
I work in leesburg Va. I have received a ticket in the mail for emissions. They actually set up on over passes and can read the emission coming out of your exhaust. Its bs.
Wow! That's something I haven't heard of.

I see you're in Winchester -- I bought my GTO at Kern
Old 10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I worked at kern motor for years, I had to bring my car into an emission inspection place, again i have no emisson test in winchester, they had to run my car on the dyno with the sniffer in the exhaust and take the test though the obd2 port. Just another way for the good ol' Va to f**k you.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 03turbomach1
I worked at kern motor for years
Happen to remember this GTO? I bought it in December 2007. Traded a Cougar in

Old 10-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Teching In

I worked there than. Don't remember that car though.

sorry op, didnt mean to