Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

New Jersey inspection question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Jersey inspection question

I'm considering removing the EGR system in my '99 Z-28. I know this will set an SES code so I plan to delete the test. I've also deleted the rear O2 sensor test and I wanted to know if these deleted tests will show up when I go to inspection in New Jersey. Can they see these deletes? Is there a limit to the number of deletes without failing?

Thanks to all NJ LSX fans.
Carmen
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Unless you throw a code, they won't know. So if you delete them you should be fine.
Do you have catalytic converters?

Technically they can fail you for the visual test for getting rid of EGR, but there is no way they know what it looks like/where it is.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I do have cats. I installed MAC mid length headers and their Y pipe and cats. I was having issues with the rear O2 sensors so i deleted the test.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Cats are the only physical thing they might notice as missing. You should be fine with a tune then.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

nj state has no visual inspections, if you can plug the car in and not get any codes you get a fresh sticker. youll only get caught for visual inspection bs if you get a roadside inspection. with the egr and rear o2 tuned out youll pass no issues.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Don't you still have to go through the sniffer?
Old 01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Teching In

they actually do check for cats, there is a camera on the ground so when they go over they can see if you have them...I was curious last time I went through. As for obd-2 they only plug into the port and check your gas cap.

Another question though if you turn off the mil for the rear 02, air pump, or egr will that show as a system not ready? Because youre only allowed to fail 2 systems not ready.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

there was a guy on here that posted about taking his heads cam camaro thru with dumps and rolled out with a sticker, nj passed the law for no visual checks, obd2 if you plug in with no check engine light and systems ready you roll out with a sticker, obd1 you get the sniffer. I know a few mustangs that passed no cats and dumps, no issues just this yr
Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
there was a guy on here that posted about taking his heads cam camaro thru with dumps and rolled out with a sticker, nj passed the law for no visual checks, obd2 if you plug in with no check engine light and systems ready you roll out with a sticker, obd1 you get the sniffer. I know a few mustangs that passed no cats and dumps, no issues just this yr
Originally Posted by shitstang
they actually do check for cats, there is a camera on the ground so when they go over they can see if you have them...
+1. Just because they have the right/are supposed to do a visual check doesn't mean they always do one.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I was worried about my truck passing because of the mods I have done. The cats are empty and I have a ECU from Black Bear. When I plug the code reader in it doesn't acknowledge it is plugged in. Anyone ever hear of this?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took my car through inspection, all they checked for where the cats. They broke out the mirror and where looking under my car. They never popped the hood.

I think its hit or miss that they check for cats. I know they definitely checked my car for them, but I've heard from others that they weren't checked.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

go to the inspection station in i think its considered deptford, next to gateway hs, idk any fail there since they stopped caring lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

the way i see it, no cel give it a shot, if your unlucky and get caught with no cats take your rejected sticker and go slap some "cats" on the car lol
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You'll be fine as long as you don't throw any codes...Have neither here went through fine.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackBADaSS02
When I took my car through inspection, all they checked for where the cats. They broke out the mirror and where looking under my car. They never popped the hood.

I think its hit or miss that they check for cats. I know they definitely checked my car for them, but I've heard from others that they weren't checked.
I agree.
How long ago did you go through though?
When I went through inspection two years ago (just prior to the most recent 'major' DMV safety/emissions updates/changes) at one state station (that is now closed down) they broke out the mirrors during the test. But when I went again just two weeks ago to a station that is new to me they didn't, though maybe they had the floor cameras and I didn't notice them? So I'm thinking that maybe in that two years they changed their procedures slightly?
Either way they can certainly change back at any moment and even go 'California' on us as well so no one should start to get TOO comfortable with the idea of rollin' on through with no cats every time.

Originally Posted by shitstang
they actually do check for cats, there is a camera on the ground so when they go over they can see if you have them...I was curious last time I went through.
Which station was that though, I don't think all of them have the ground cameras?

Originally Posted by MuscleCarNut711
+1. Just because they have the right/are supposed to do a visual check doesn't mean they always do one.
True. I've seen some inconsistencies at state inspections all of the time, one day they'll be all over a relatively new car and then the next day they'll let a banged up 15 year old car go right through without even checking the gas cap. It really does appear to change moment to moment (which can actually work to our benefit as well so I'm certainly not complaining about it LOL).
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I took out my EGR and AIR, as well as the fuses for them, never threw any codes. went through inspection fine
Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Which station was that though, I don't think all of them have the ground cameras?
This was at the inspection station in Deptford.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've never seen anyone at Kilmer get underneath and look , so either they have cameras or they don't check.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Took my TA to Rahway state inspection a couple of weeks ago. They have a camera mounted in the floor looking for cats. When they couldn't see them with the camera, they pulled the mirror out. I have stock manifolds and cats, so they are mounted high, therefore the cats are hard to see.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I agree.
How long ago did you go through though?
When I went through inspection two years ago (just prior to the most recent 'major' DMV safety/emissions updates/changes) at one state station (that is now closed down) they broke out the mirrors during the test. But when I went again just two weeks ago to a station that is new to me they didn't, though maybe they had the floor cameras and I didn't notice them? So I'm thinking that maybe in that two years they changed their procedures slightly?
Either way they can certainly change back at any moment and even go 'California' on us as well so no one should start to get TOO comfortable with the idea of rollin' on through with no cats every time.
I went through the first month after the changes were made.

Quick Reply: New Jersey inspection question