Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

2012 D.C. Independence Day Parade

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2012 D.C. Independence Day Parade

Hello all, I've taken over organizing this event from Marc.

It’s time to start gathering a group together for this year’s Independence Day Parade. I'd like to get 10-13 vehicles for the event, similar to the Memorial Day Parade. It'll be organized the same as past parades; staging area, parade route, etc. Let me know via this thread if you'd like to be in the parade and I'll update the post with a current list of participants.

If you've not been in a parade, particularly of this caliber, you're truly missing out. Thousands of people come out to sit along the streets in DC to watch the craziness, veterans, floats, bands, clubs, celebrities, etc.

NOTE: Absolutely NO burnouts!! NO "excessive" revving of engines, the crowd will ask for it and you can oblige just use don't go nuts with it. And again, NO burnouts!

As in the past, we'll join forces with the 101st Airborne Division veterans. We've already talked and they're excited that we'll once again be participating together.

If you're interested, keep an eye on this thread and I'll add more information as we draw closer to the 4th.

Please keep in mind that while I may be the coordinator, we all participate and contribute. Meaning... if you have what you think is a good idea, speak up. Most things are only as good as you make them and this event is no exception.

In the past after the parade we usually meet up at Capitol City Brewing Company, 4001 Campbell Avenue, Arlington, VA 22206. It's a nice place to grab a bite to eat and get into the AC after being in the heat all day. If anybody has a suggestion for other places I am all ears.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

bump
Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so I've recieved the packet from the Parade organizers. They gave me 8 slots and so far I have 3 cars. We will be meeting up at Cameron Regional Park in Alexandria, VA. This is the link to the park's page: http://www.nvrpa.org/park/cameron_run

Here is the address for the park: 4001 Eisenhower Avenue Alexandria, VA 22304

I will arrive there at 8:45 a.m. and we will depart for D.C. at 9:15 a.m. taking I-495 to I-395 and using the HOV to enter the city. There will be no stopping for gas so make sure you fill up before you leave as we will be idling through the parade for a while and that can eat up some gas. It is also difficult to get out of the city afterwards as it seems they have different roads blocked off every year. There will be NO BURNOUTS at Cameron Run Park or at the Parade. You will be asked to leave if you do not head this.

I will give the directions to the staging area once everyone is at the park in case anybody from the group gets separated on the way to D.C. I'm not sure what the weather will be just like yet, but I'm sure it will be hot! So bring plenty of water for yourself and the vets. There is some food vendors located around the National Mall and some food courts in the museums if you want to get some A/C.

If anybody needs to get a hold of me my number is 703-407-0662. You can call or shoot me a text. If you do call and I don't answer please leave me a voice mail! I get a ton of calls from telemarketers so if you don't leave a voice mail or text I will not get back to you assuming you were one of them.