Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Wrapping up my winter projects!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

Default Wrapping up my winter projects!

i hurt the motor in my 99 Z last fall at the drags, mis shifted and over revved it really bad, since that happened motor had a good tick to it so i only drove it a few times after that and then pulled the motor in january to rebuild it. while it was out i wanted to fix some rust on the frame rails, underneath the battery tray and down the frame rail on the pass side and under the fuse boxes and behind the abs bracket from a brake fluid leak. i sandblasted both sides down to nice clean metal and put por15 over them, i said screw it and sanded down the entire engine bay, primed it then my dad sprayed it with base/clear. as for the motor i had the block, crank, rods and pistons checked out. just needed a hone, crank polish, rods resized due to ARP rod bolts and cam bearings. we used clevite tri metal coated main and rod bearings, the cam bearings are durabond coated. at first i was just going to stick with stock ls1 cam and heads due to money and because i wanted to continue my quest for 11s with stock internals but i decided against that and bought a pair of 799s off a 5.3L HO and a brand new zo6/ls6 camshaft. i had the heads rebuilt and cut to raise compression. i went with a c5r chain, ls7 lifters, manley chromoly push rods, pac1218 springs & comp cam trunion bearing kit. TSP 1 3/4 long tubes & off road y are on the way here thanks to my awesome girlfriend who bought them as a birthday present! i started the engine for the first time last night and it sounded great, ran real smooth and responsive, neverr ran this good before! next week the car is going to get tuned.

i also sold the t56 out of the car and picked up another that was just built as a stage 2 along with a ram VDS sintered iron clutch setup that will work great as a street strip clutch.

here are some pictures of everything:
Attached Thumbnails Wrapping up my winter projects!-z28-089.jpg   Wrapping up my winter projects!-z28-102.jpg   Wrapping up my winter projects!-z28-103.jpg   Wrapping up my winter projects!-z28-112.jpg   Wrapping up my winter projects!-z28-116.jpg  

Last edited by SLP IROC-Z; 06-20-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to see the car coming along nicely!