Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Kids with no respect for these cars :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kids with no respect for these cars :(

So I make a habit of trolling craigslist for deals. Tonight I'm browsing when I see an ad for a 96 Camaro parts car. I open it, read the story about taking a corner to fast, then I scroll down to the picture and couldn't believe my eyes. It was my old car. I then became a mixture of sad and angry at the same time. Granted it's not my car anymore, I sold it, but still...

It was my first car. Got it when I was 16. The original owner took immaculate care of it. I had every document since the car was new. I babied that car. Then when I moved on to my Z28 a year ago, I had to sell it. I ended up selling to another 16 year old, who reminded me of myself 4 years earlier. Is it wrong that I'm pissed that some one else wrecked the car which they owned?

Here it is when I owned it

And here's what I saw tonight
(I put the salad shooters and stock hood back on when I sold it)

Last edited by Double-aught_Z/28; 06-21-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I amend my emotionally charged post.
I emailed the ad poster, just got a response, and sure enough it is my car. But he wasn't being stupid with it; he lost it in the rain. I'm still pissed, just not as much at him.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, I would be crushed if that were my car, you had it looking good too. But it was a V6, I don't see how he lost it in the rain unless was just being an irresponsible jackass. F-Body owners in my age group (16-21) generally beat the living **** out of these cars so I wouldn't be surprised. But, stuff happens, so who knows.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

got my 00 ss when i was 16.. now i am 20 in the four years i put 7500 miles on it.. take emmaculate care of it... also the car has been threw 5 different motor setups already and got a 9 inch... i love this car and putting the best stuff into it... if that was mine at one point id be upset too
Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He lost control of a v6 in the rain? He was probably goofing off. Sucks you have to see your old car like that
Old 06-22-2012, 07:42 AM
Teching In

This is why i hate selling anything to anyone i know. I dontr want to see what someone else has done to it. I know how I care for my vehicles and most people dont hold the same standard. I sold my 02 WS6 i had back in 2006 to a younger (20) person. The car was showroom quality with only 32k on it. I had some exhaust parts to give to the new owner that i had in storage when i delivered the car. I contacted him 3 weeks after the sale and he already wrecked the car. I was so upset. I feel your pain.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow that sucks. I am 17 with my 02 SS and some kid at my school had a 95 Z. He ran the hell out of that car. Never washed it, just didnt put any care towards it. I absolutely love driving my car, but leave the racing for the track. Losing a V6 in the rain? Possible yes, but something tells me he was speeding or something.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 04qsgtoMA
This is why i hate selling anything to anyone i know. I dontr want to see what someone else has done to it. I know how I care for my vehicles and most people dont hold the same standard. I sold my 02 WS6 i had back in 2006 to a younger (20) person. The car was showroom quality with only 32k on it. I had some exhaust parts to give to the new owner that i had in storage when i delivered the car. I contacted him 3 weeks after the sale and he already wrecked the car. I was so upset. I feel your pain.
To kids these things are bic shavers, use them and toss 'em. I had my 02 at a car cruise last week. A guy and his young son (17 or so) came over and were fascinated. He asked If I knew if my car was original. I said, "it damn well should be. I'm the original owner, bought it new in June 2002." He was shocked. His son had wrecked one a few weeks earlier, having lost control of it in a slide.

Not just a matter of being older and wiser, but having more invested in it. When I bought the car, I paid $32,000, needed full coverage, and had payments. You learn to respect and take care of things you pay dearly for.

Today if it was $5000, or $32,000 I would take care of it. I've learned the value of respecting what I work hard to attain. Home owners call that "pride of ownership." That is a measure of maturity. That and the fully developed frontal lobe.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i feel your pain. both cars that i built and put ALOT of blood sweat and tears into were both totaled by the person who bought the cars from me

1986 buick regal with a olds 350 rocket, meduim cam, th40, 8.5" posi. 2 weeks after i sold it kid wraped it around tree. cracked block car destroyed.

2000 Z28 418ci M6, ALOT of work over 500hp to the rear. was sold to a semi responsible kid lost control after a nasty pot hole or so im told. again car totaled

atleast ill never see the cars on the road again i guess
Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Your situation helps prove the old adage, "You never forget your first love." I'm sorry for your loss, dude. Seriously.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Yep......you feel like the rest of us when we loose an old car.

I actually traded in my old 04 STi and found out who bought it and kept in contact about 8 months later I found out the guy drove it with meth and cashed it, needless to say it went up in a fiery bomb. Sad, but a fact of life that powerful cars get wrecked....responsible or not.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm attached to my car...I'm weird I know.

Anytime im in the camaro im driving like a grand ma unless i see nice open roads.

Anytime im in the DD, I drive pretty casual & sometimes noob mistakes I usually yell at other people for.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm 18 and have had my 00 SS sence I was 16. Man I love it. Just finished putting in a 390ci lq4 with cam and put all new exhaust on. I think the problem is allot of kids these days just don't know the value of a dollar because their parents by them everything. I paid for my car my self at 16 and paid for everything I put into my car. I have had zero tickets so far because I'm not stupid. I think the problem is the value of a dollar my self. I plan on keeping my car for life and would one day like to pass it on to my son when I have one. But u can be damn sure he will learn the value of a dollar before he gets it lol
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Launching!

My 92 RS and my 95 Z28 were both totaled within 3 weeks of me selling them lol... i was the 2nd owner on both.. they were like new. The 92 RS was bought by a 31 year old chick, and blew a red light and completely rocked it. The 95 Z28 was totaled by a 19 year old kid who took out a pole while drinking. I know the feeling, cars you babied and took care of for YEARS are toast.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sold my Pontiac GTP to some guy. Car was decent, not immaculate (bought it that way). I saw it a few months later. The car was TRASHED, dents in the doors, bent up fenders, sounded like it had a horrible exhaust leak, the BRAND NEW tires on the front were toast. I was heart broken.. I had put a ton of time into that car to make it my daily. Sold it for a loss of about 700$ when I found my Buick to buy. Oh and, I happen to be 17. Have yet to have any issues while driving in this car. When i first bought it, I went into a parking lot during a rain storm and fooled around till I got a hang of controlling it under spin. Hasn't failed me yet. I believe that practice to actually have saved me a couple months ago. I was driving when a car cut out in front of me on a side street. I swerved to miss it (at 50MPH in the rain) and ended up in a tail slide. I was able to correct it. Some kids just don't have the common sense required to own a powerful car. I know most of my friends would destroy my car pretty easily. I don't let any one of them drive it.

Nix
Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 AM
11 Second Club

^
When I was 16 my dad made it a point to take me out and teach me how to drive and correct sliding in the rain and snow. It came in handy a few times over the 7 years since then. I'll definitely be doing the same thing when I have kids someday.

And to the OP, it's a shame to see it, but it's true that there isn't any respect with a lot of new drivers. I've still seen a rare few who take some pride in their cars and driving though, so hope isn't completely lost yet. All my previous cars were traded in at dealers out of state so far, so I haven't seen them on the road or scrap yards yet.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 98 Arctic White SS was parted and and scrapped for no real reason. Pisses me off everytime i think about it.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the statement that kids my age (17+) don't understand the value of the dollar. I worked my *** off to afford to buy my car, buy stuff for my car and now I'm working my *** off painting my car. if I sold to learn that someone totaled it I would be devastated to say the least. Its too bad that he crashed it but hey, it could've happened to anyone
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevesfbody
I agree with the statement that kids my age (17+) don't understand the value of the dollar. I worked my *** off to afford to buy my car, buy stuff for my car and now I'm working my *** off painting my car. if I sold to learn that someone totaled it I would be devastated to say the least. Its too bad that he crashed it but hey, it could've happened to anyone
Yup, that statement hits the nail on the head. The car I posted in OP was my first car. I saved my money starting when I was 14 to buy it. Never beat on it, and only one close call. (I tried to go out in the snow, ended up doing donuts on the road in front of my driveway).
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
My 98 Arctic White SS was parted and and scrapped for no real reason. Pisses me off everytime i think about it.
Same thing happened to my old BarneyCar. Guys gets a proven low 10 second street car and parts it out...lol...wtf???