Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Detailing: 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD - ROUGH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Detailing: 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD - ROUGH!!!

It's BIG. It's BLACK. But it ain't no Cadillac.

It's a 2005 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 138k miles, black on grey.

We were contacted by the owner to breath new life into the finish after seeing some of our work on another GMC 2500HD This truck is a beast with a full compliment of Bully Dog tuning components and suspension work to handle the monstrous 4wd launches all that power creates, but it just didn't look the part.

As you will see in the pictures it was in rough shape and has certainly been worked during it's life. This also created a first time event for us... Most extreme compound we have (MenzernaS34A), Pad (Uber Yellow and Orange), and tool combination (Flex 3404), and we had to use it on the first pass on the WHOLE truck. What a workout!!! But all of it was worth it when you step away...

After 2 days and 30 man hours. The results speak for themselves. 180degree turn around from when it rolled into the bay. Use to be a 25ft truck now a 1ft truck. There are a number of RIDs in the paint we couldn't remove without significantly impacting the amount of clear in the area, as you can probably tell from several of the pics below. But we blended them into the surrounding area and they hid well and barely noticeable in almost all lighting conditions, very happy we were able to at a minimum do that. Overall we would give this truck a 92% rating due to the rids but the finish has picked up quite a bit of depth and the shine is superb. So we are smiling as was the owner when he took delivery.

Lots of pics, we hope you enjoy the turnaround and Thanks for viewing!!!

Materials:
CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
Dawn dish detergent
Westley’s Bleach White
Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
Adam’s APC
Mother’s Clay Bar Kit
Nanoskin
ONR Clay Bar Dilution
IPA wipe down Dilution
Menzerna S34A
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna 106FA
Menzerna Powerlock
Primia Banana Gloss
Stoner’s Invisible Glass
Mequier’s Natural Finish Dressing
Lexol Leather Cleaner
Lexol Leather Conditioner
NXT2 Liquid Wax
Prima Slick
CG Xtreme Shine
CG G6 Dressing
CG Bare Bones
No. 7 Chrome Polish
Porter Cable 7424XP
FLEX 3403
Uber 6” Orange
Uber 5.5" Yellow
Uber 5.5" Orange
Uber 5.5” Green
Uber 5.5” Black
Swissvax Wheel Brush
Uber Boar’s head brush
Uber Wheel Brush
Swissvax interior brushes
CG Interior brush
Uber UFO Red Applicator Pads
Uber UFO Blue Applicator Pad
Misc MF Towels
Shop vac
Q-tips
3M Painters Tape

Process
Exterior: APC lower panels, CG Citrus Wash + Dawn Dish soap w/ Micro Fiber Mitt, dried, taped, claybar & Nanoskin, S34A w/ Orange &Yellow (1 pass) on FLEX, PO203 w/ Orange (1 pass) on PC7424, 106FA w/Green (1 pass) on PC7424, IPA wipe down, Powerlock w/ Black (1hr set-up), Prima Banana Gloss

Wheels: Sonax Full Effect, Westly’s Bleach White, Wheel Brushes, dried, ONR wipe down, NXT w/ hand applicator, tires dressed with CG G6

Interior: Vacuum, Door jams cleaned with ONR and sealed with NXT, hard plastic Mequier’s natural finish wipe down, Leather Lexol Cleaner and Preserve using Red Applicator pads, Glass cleaned with Invisible Glass, carpet staining Adams Carpet cleaner.

Delivery

Washed and under the lights for closer inspection
As you go through these you will see often times buried with in the swirls, heavy RIDs. We chased and worked these to our comfort level to keep some finish on the truck. Overall we took 75+% of the defect out only leaving a soft looking defect under certain lighting conditions.

Diesel can really damage paint and the owner cleans it up when it does spill, but the result is often this... Although this is the lesser evil of the two!

Last edited by DannoWS6; 09-27-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Enough of that, let's see what we can expect!
These 50/50 shots show the progression from the start to finish of the selected process, S24A. PO203, 106FA with appropriate pad.

Starting...

S34A....Marred the finish pretty bad

PO203...Removed the marring from the S34

106FA...Further refined the paint and visually increased the "blackness" of the paint

Finished product... Looking good for the process Don't mind the dust in the finished areas. Compounds were pretty dusty for some reason on this detail.

In-process shots

Nice!

Paint on the door handle

Not any more!

This light looks so much better now...
Before

After

This too!
Before

After

One of the customer's requests was to try and get some water stains in the head liner out...
I said I would try... I pulled out the Adam's Carpet Cleaner... and... BAM! Took them right out. That stuff never ceases to amaze me, hasn't failed me yet!
Before

After

Rest of the interior
Was not in bad shape, just need the mats cleaned real well and a basic wipe down.
Before

After

It's all in the details..

Getting ready to go back out into the light!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Remember these?

No not really

Finial Shots

Thanks for viewing!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do some nice work. I myself have a black car and if I had to do it over I would try to find a different color. Years of abuse on the clear coat, I hate direct sunlight lol.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Very nice! Too bad you're not closer. I have a Dodge 3500 that needs a good detailing.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BDHWK
Very nice! Too bad you're not closer. I have a Dodge 3500 that needs a good detailing.
I say this to myself everytime I read one of his threads lol
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Fellas.
After working on various cars I can honestly say I don't think I would own a black car and I would be too **** about it. But nothing beats a clean perfectly finished black car.

My back was still sore 3 days later after working on this beast (well more sore than normal).

I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

1BDHWK, (from your sig) I met Donnie back when I was in college and we both got our cars around the same time. I am glad I got the opportunity to befriend him, such an easy going guy that do anything for you. Sincerely missed. Actually he gave me my license plate frame that has never been off the car since I put it on about 10 yrs ago. You got me thinking about him...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man amazing work, love reading your threads.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

That is amazing. Definitely makes me want to do mine... I have a buffer, and a horrible black 2500hd but lack the skills lol
Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much to do a black 1995 camaro z28?
Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow i need you in VA...

incredible.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Your work is amazing! I've tried detailing. I don't have the patience.

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
1BDHWK, (from your sig) I met Donnie back when I was in college and we both got our cars around the same time. I am glad I got the opportunity to befriend him, such an easy going guy that do anything for you. Sincerely missed. Actually he gave me my license plate frame that has never been off the car since I put it on about 10 yrs ago. You got me thinking about him...
Donnie was my closest friend in the Corps. I was the one who convinced him to Re-enlist. I'm glad you got the chance to know him. Small world.

Back on topic.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

UNREAL! wow you guys are very good
Old 09-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Great job guys! Eric was really impressed with the results.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Resident

Awesome job...now I need to get my truck done same as this but silverado
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Menzera is all i would ever use on black.. I don't think any other polish will EVER finish down as nice as that....

Power gloss is amazing isn't it?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bajapat
Menzera is all i would ever use on black.. I don't think any other polish will EVER finish down as nice as that....

Power gloss is amazing isn't it?
I can't say enough about how great menzerna products are. We use it 90% of the time and know what to expect from it. It has great cut and finishes nice. The reason why its so great, especially on black, is that its diminishing, meaning the compound breaks down as you work it and the cut gets thinnner and thinner. While other brands maintain the same cutting strength.

Its definately the product I would use to do a single pass correction, probably 203 (PF2500) on orange will get you pretty close. Its a little pricey and they change the name every year, but its worth it. I also finds it works better on harder clearcoats (Audi, Mercedes, etc)

With so many products you just gotta find what works best, and for us this is it. On clean black paint, 85rd with a rotary to finish is beyond sick.

We like powerlock a lot too.

Thanks again guys

Quick Reply: Detailing: 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD - ROUGH!!!