Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Buying a 3 family house and renting it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buying a 3 family house and renting it?

Good idea? I am thinking about doing this with my parents. Right now i am 23 and live at home but got a decent job and am set to make at least $60k next year. I would split the 3 family with my rents in ownership. My old man is a handyman and could do almost all the work on the house.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it!. I have developed and rent commercial property - sometimes its a pain but will pay off huge dividends especially after it's paid off.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Thats what im hoping!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the area and what rent levels are around there. I know many many people whom have made a lot of money renting and buying/selling properties in my area. As with any big investment, do your homework on everything. Ask tons of questions.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 AM
10 Second Club

I've been considering a 4 family house in my area as well, just not sure I want to deal with all of the potential hassles associated with being a landlord...plus the property taxes around here are insanely high (but then again so is the potential rental income from a multi family dwelling).
Good luck with it.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched my friends 2 family house for him when he got activated for a year and acted as a temporary landlord (rented both). That experience was enough to let me know I wouldn't be interested in doing that myself.

I also watched another close friend buy a 3 family in worcester, rented 2 floors and about 4 years later barely got out with their shirts. Both these people now live in a single family.

If your starting off its a good stepping stone to save money and build equity (you hope). If you can't afford the single family you want, you might as well have others paying part of your mortgage instead of you paying rent imo.

If you live on the property its a lot easier atleast. Realestate still has opportunities to make money and more people are renting now. Plus sounds like you are keeping it in with the family which is nice.

More of a single family with an attached in-law would be more up my alley.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah id be splitting it 50 50 with my rents. Hopefully getting a good mortage rate with there credit. Id either live at the 3 family or remain at home and rent it all out until i can afford my own single family with a nice big garage
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on how much rent you can get and IF they pay you. $60k sounds decent but it's not that much towards a $300k mortgage, even $120k can be tight when all the other bills and insurance is paid.

First thing to do is add up what all the bills will be. You pretty much want the idea of how much cost each month then go from there. Do not count that the other unit will be rented 100% of the time.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

I currently own a two family. I live in the other side and I've had it for about three years. You have to make sure you're buying in a community that has plenty of other multi families. Scope out what other comps in the area are charging to see if it's worth doing. Do credit checks and check references from former land lords. Definitely get at least a month or month and half in a security deposit. If you live there, it's easier to evict a tenant that's troublesome, meaning the time it takes is significantly less. Make sure your lease agreement is rock solid, no loop holes. Make sure you have enough cash to cover the mortgage if you have a month without a tenant etc. It helps to find a local realtor who knows the area and deals with multi families primarily, this way he or she can show the house while you're at work because when they typically want to see it you'll be unavailable. Separate utilities are a must, you don't want to cover a heating bill when they have the heat cranked to 80 degrees. If my gf didn't want a single family next, I would be buying another two family.

If you live there, it's not considered investment only, and you can put down less, but that may be state specific.

Ls1lt1, i believe there's different laws for 4 family and up (much more responsibilities), you might want to look into that but it was suppose to be the way to go as far as profiting.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah i am defiently going to do my research that is for sure. and splitting it with the rents will make it easier and more affordable. if i can't afford my half of the mortage alone i will not do it.

Quick Reply: Buying a 3 family house and renting it?