Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

New to York PA, Tagging a 2002 Firehawk race car

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile New to York PA, Tagging a 2002 Firehawk race car

Greetings,

So I have this here race car, for lack of a better term, that has MD tags and title... was able to waive MD emissions for a year. The thing obviously would turn heads for a visual emissions inspection. I'm more concerned with what would be involved in an inspection to get it tagged in PA.

The only things I think would be frowned upon are 1, the small crack in the upper right corner of the windshield (not really visible and out of sight from drivers view). 2, the front right shock needs to be replaced, but would pass inspection I think. Lastly, 3, and most concerning, is the fact this thing has a race motor, no cats, slp loudmouth exhaust, a fat turbo, and idles like a battle tank.

The last is the one where I would need to find a race-car friendly inspection station in the York area. SO, I ask does anyone in the PA area have any leads to one of these? If so, please let me know via PM or in the thread, or e-mail mdturbo@gmail. I am also wondering if the emissions can be waived as the car is only driven maybe 500 miles a year.

Lastly, this car I speak of is still for sale. 681hp on low boost (12), 758 on high (15) letting out. Looking for about $28,000 obo.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need it inspected once upon registering it in pa....

Pa has emissions exemption for anything 5000 miles or less a year.

You dont need to i spect it to register it...u needto register it to inspect it.

From a Law Enforcement standpoint...if it hits the streets at all u need to have it registered...inspected.... And ur license changed within 15 days of establishing residency in Pa.

You did not state what year.... What make and model vehicle it is to any more specific into the inspection (ie: pre 96 or 95 require a sniffer...where as others require a two speed dyno test and finnally newer stuff is just visual plug in.

And I cant help you with places that will bend the rule...
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know I am an inspector in York PA and happen to have a 01 Firehawk race car that I still drive on the street
Old 11-19-2012, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's also dependent on who you take it to for inspection. Some inspection facilities will not go for a thorough visual on your emissions equipment if it clears the OBD2 scan as everything is said to be in working order. You might have to call around or ask around a bit.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by popo8
You will need it inspected once upon registering it in pa....

Pa has emissions exemption for anything 5000 miles or less a year.

You dont need to i spect it to register it...u needto register it to inspect it.

From a Law Enforcement standpoint...if it hits the streets at all u need to have it registered...inspected.... And ur license changed within 15 days of establishing residency in Pa.

You did not state what year.... What make and model vehicle it is to any more specific into the inspection (ie: pre 96 or 95 require a sniffer...where as others require a two speed dyno test and finnally newer stuff is just visual plug in.

And I cant help you with places that will bend the rule...
Thanks for your reply. I honestly would prefer not to bend the rules, but that's just how things were done in MD. I would prefer to get exempted. The only issue really is the emissions in my mind, and if they put it up on a lift and do a visual it'll be obvious. However, it is a 2002, but it'll likely get a "not ready" error on o2 emissions via OBD scan because I turn off the battery cut off to save the juice. It's not something I would want to drive 40 miles each way to work for a week because it'll make me smell like a race car if I do. lol. I will drive it however less than 5k miles for sure. I drove it maybe 200 last year.

We got our licenses changed this past weekend, and I'm going to get the daily driver registered and tagged first but wanted to get prep'ed for this car to do the same. I'd hate to have it sit again. It's a fairly fast turn around to get it inspected (10 days) and after moving can't spend much on getting it passable.

I looked into a collectible tag, but not sure if that makes it harder to sell, or possible or what that actually gets me.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by 02BlueFirehawk; 11-20-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone above stated...shop around.... My suggestion is prob yo look for a shop that specializes in hi-po rides...and does inspections..... I know u dont want to bend the rules.... And i cant suggeat that u do that.... But.......

Quick Reply: New to York PA, Tagging a 2002 Firehawk race car