Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

not car related but Im looking for dog trainer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not car related but Im looking for dog trainer recommendations

I recently took in a 7month old pitt puppy(hes huge! 68lbs already) he was originally from a breeder in southern california, a couple bought him super young and brought him here to jersey with them. His name is zeus, the people i got him from have a 1&3 yr old so he's great with children and they had an older pitbull.
zeus listens until he gets excited which is something i figured i'd have to work on but the problem is my soon to be fiance has a little 10lb yorkie thats 1.5yrs old and a great dog but gets excited and barks to get zeus to play and when zeus plays he wants to bite the little yorkie which is no good. he shows all signs that hes happy so Im pretty sure its just a playful thing but it doesnt make it any less dangerous.
Anyone in the south jersey area have any experience with any local trainers or maybe you know someone thats a dog trainer?? I'd like to put both dogs thru training together but everyone I know has trained their dogs themselves which is what I'd love to do but the way me and the gf's schedule works we don't get a whole lot of daylight to get the pups together.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

both of those dogs are awesome
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

My wife is in the middle of going to school to become a dog trainer I will ask her for some advice.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys i appreciate it. its stressful trying to get these 2 to do good together.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a pain to train them. My bull dog doesn't bite but loves to lay on dogs/cats ect. It's weird. She'll pin them then just drop.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

thats actually pretty funny, i wouldnt mind that at all. poor little jax(the yorkie) will bark to get zeus to play but than zeus wants to put jax in his mouth so i gotta pull him back, I havent even gotten the chance to let them off leash together. much bigger pita than i thought lol and with me working swing shift I thought it would probably go along much quicker if i took them to a pro instead of trying to do it all myself. If they don't get along I'm going to have to rehome my pitt which sucks but jax has been with us a year already.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your gonna need to go to the training sessions, the dog needs to learn to listen to you when given commands
Old 12-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Rescued various types of dogs of all ages.

Its called discipline, they do something wrong use your right hand and smack the **** out of them. Also the tone of your voice will let them know when you mean business.

We have a pit, and she sometimes gets aggressive towards other dogs. I make sure to stop that quickly before it escalates. Shes been in tons of fights, its a shame too because shes one of the smartest dogs we have had. Gets along great with my 2 year old niece, etc etc.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

yea i'm not afraid to discipline and I know all about the tone of the voice and I also know i'd have to be at the training sessions which isn't a problem as long as the trainer will work with my schedule, I just honestly don't know what more i can do to get the dogs to relax with each other besides taking them for walks together which they're fine with and keeping them apart in the house.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your smacking your f@&$ing dog your doing it wrong. A dog that's been hit will always be hand shy and unpredictable. A dog needs to know that you are the dominant one but hitting should never be an option. I've had numerous large breed dogs and if raised correctly the can be great pets. My current rottie is 185lbs and would never bite unless you were trying to harm someone in his family. The reason Pitts and rots get a bad name is because people beat them then wonder why they got bit
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont beat him, discipline him. usually gets brought into the kitchen behind a baby gate so hes by himself and told with a stern no. I don't believe in beating them
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Umm ya, hitting the dog is not smart.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevrunner21
I dont beat him, discipline him. usually gets brought into the kitchen behind a baby gate so hes by himself and told with a stern no. I don't believe in beating them
Well that's good!! A true animal lover/ dog owner would have no need to hit a dog. You can establish dominance just by holding a dog still. It's about letting him know your the leader without causing him harm or fear
Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Ok I talked to my wife she said to reword both dogs for playing with no mouth play. And try sour apple spray on your yorky and make sure neither dog is allowed to use teath . she said it will take a while but start out small on a leash and work your way up to off the leash pits are smart
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

and start with lots of treats and then work with evey couple times they are good give a treat
Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by outkast6991
If your smacking your f@&$ing dog your doing it wrong. A dog that's been hit will always be hand shy and unpredictable. A dog needs to know that you are the dominant one but hitting should never be an option. I've had numerous large breed dogs and if raised correctly the can be great pets. My current rottie is 185lbs and would never bite unless you were trying to harm someone in his family. The reason Pitts and rots get a bad name is because people beat them then wonder why they got bit
You can come to my house in huntsville anytime and meet sophie. My pit.

Never once did I say beat or hit them. Ive had more problems with dogs that werent disciplined than the ones that got spanked for ******* up.

Rescued MANY dogs from various idiots, they all get the same treatment and they all live great, long, happy lives.

Men are created with such things as *****, man up and use them sometimes.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by outkast6991
Well that's good!! A true animal lover/ dog owner would have no need to hit a dog. You can establish dominance just by holding a dog still. It's about letting him know your the leader without causing him harm or fear
LMAO you sound like the neighbors who wonder why there dogs act so damn crazy.

Its just like kids, they act incorrectly you discipline them correct? Or do you hold them still and explain in a womanly voice that they need to act right
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

A lot of dogs are pack dogs. Don't know about pit bulls but my bull dog is. You have to put yourself as the pack leader. Talk firm and be the boss. They need to see you as the dominate one. For training you have to be on them 24/7. Treats ect help but the stearin voice works better. Then when they are doing well point it out with affection ect. They learn.

Smacking the dog in any way is not smart. I've seen dogs crack. They Ussually take it out of kids which is something you don't want.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:43 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got a 6-month old Rotty who's already about 75lbs and lean. SHe's great. I swear she's already better trained than my 4 and 6 year old kids, at least she listens better.

I agree about not hitting, but sometimes a little firm hand is all you need to get them to realize that you are the pack leader. It's something my wife never did with our last rotty, and something I'm trying to get my wife to understand with our current one.

Something noone has said is that as a puppy, they have lots of energy that needs to be released. Before you do any training sessions, get the dog on a leash and take it for a walk till it seems tired. Now you will have it's attention. Now is the time to train them because they will be able to focus better.

I'm not sure about Pits, but Rotty's are working dogs, and desperately need to be worked. Walking them is a way for them to be worked. Sometimes all the reward needs to be is good boy or good girl and a nice pet.

Again, I can't stress how important it is to get their energy out before you try to work with them. You'll see huge changes.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BD1987
LMAO you sound like the neighbors who wonder why there dogs act so damn crazy.

Its just like kids, they act incorrectly you discipline them correct? Or do you hold them still and explain in a womanly voice that they need to act right
I'm thinking you have fear and respect switched up. A dog or kid can have respect without being afraid of the idiot that keeps hitting them, but hey keep beating your kids and dogs, i'm sure it will make for a well balanced family

Last edited by outkast6991; 12-04-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: not car related but Im looking for dog trainer recommendations