Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NJ Inspection Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ Inspection Question

Hi Guys. Long time looker but finally registered.

My name is Dan.

I currently have a 1991 Camaro RS Convertible and live in NY.
I am moving to Freehold, NJ January 1st. Being from NY they no longer do emission tests for inspection. I heard NJ does Emissions still.

1st question is does anyone have any info they can share on what they check for.

2nd Question: Also I installed a Hypertech Performance Chip and since then my Check Engine does not go off.

3rd questions: I currently have no cats on the car so does anyone know a shop that will pass my car even if it costs a little more or do they make anything out there that I can put in my car to clean up the emissions at all?

I appreciate anyone's input and if you know a shop that will help please PM me.

Thanks Guys

Dan
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

All they do in jersey now is emission testing, if your check engine light is on you automatically fail
Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a Jersey resident, but considering it is a 91 I would look into hot rod tags or historic tags. Maybe no such thing in Jersey, but I know in Maryland cars that are not driven daily and are 20+ years old are candidates for historic or hot rod tags. Basically no emission tests for those cars here. Again may not exist in Jersey, but worth looking into if it can get you waived from emissions. Not having cats can be a problem and if caught the fines could be severe.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Staging Lane

Go to a private facility that does inspections and talk to them. Most will pass you for ~$100, as opposed to a free inspection from the state. You will fail for no cats thru the state.

But like stated, check engine light is an automatic fail.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kossuth
Not a Jersey resident, but considering it is a 91 I would look into hot rod tags or historic tags. Maybe no such thing in Jersey, but I know in Maryland cars that are not driven daily and are 20+ years old are candidates for historic or hot rod tags. Basically no emission tests for those cars here. Again may not exist in Jersey, but worth looking into if it can get you waived from emissions. Not having cats can be a problem and if caught the fines could be severe.
N.J. has Historic Registration that is 25 years and older and requires no inspection.

There is also Collector Inspection in N.J. It is good for 2 years and has a limit of 3000 miles per year or 6000 mile every two years. Also, Every 2 years you're required for re-inspection which only verifies milage.
It was easy to obtain this inspection a few years ago, but now you have to apply for it and the State will either accept your vehicle as a collector car or deny it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
N.J. has Historic Registration that is 25 years and older and requires no inspection.

There is also Collector Inspection in N.J. It is good for 2 years and has a limit of 3000 miles per year or 6000 mile every two years. Also, Every 2 years you're required for re-inspection which only verifies milage.
It was easy to obtain this inspection a few years ago, but now you have to apply for it and the State will either accept your vehicle as a collector car or deny it.
That's good for the OP to know and if that's the case maybe he could use it to get to that 25 year mark depending on when the state considers the model years begin. Being most 91s were technically built in 90 more than likely.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I just finished installing a cat on the car so I know it will pass emissions. Everything was fine and then when I was on my way home after about 10 minutes of driving the Check Engine came back on. I will have to figure it out.

I will call the DMV about that collector Car status. That is what my Insurance company has it under. I drive about 1,000 miles a year. Just for Car Shows.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: NJ Inspection Question