Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

why is water in my oil pan and oil in exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why is water in my oil pan and oil in exhaust

why is water in my oil pan and oil in exhaustWell my car has been sitting for almost 5 years in my driveway(02 ss m6) and has not been moved, touched or started until today. well attempted a start.... about a year ago the oil pan cracked. so yesterday i brought into the garage and started the mission. what i've found so far is it appears there was water in the oil pan. not coolant, just water and oil(i have a full rad of red coolant). the oil pan did break on the first night of real cold temps last winter. it appers that water is running from the cowl onto the top of the intake. that area is still wet also.

now, as i had the front of the car raised, i noticed oil coming out of the y-pipe/intermediate pipe junction. about a 6in by 6in puddle on the floor

so i put the oil pan in the car and will attempt to start it once i figure out why my pcm isn't send pwer to my fuel pump relay.

should i just assume i'm wasting my time and start looking for another motor?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a cracked block.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 AM
Launching!

why did the car sit or so long? just curious.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you wanna get it towed into the shop we can figure out exactly whats wrong. The oil pan cracking is odd though. Must of had a lot of water in there for that to crack
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, there was even some water in the oil filter. i installed the oil pan and was cleaning up getting ready to fire it up. thats when i noticed oil dripping from the y-pipe.

its so odd to me. clear water in the motor but bright red coolant in the cooling system. and how does a great daily driven car get parked and all of a sudden have oil in the exhaust 5 years later? there is prob a 1/4-1/2 quart of oil in the exhaust.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like rain filled the entire engine block with water - oil probably went through the valve guides and into the exhaust (since oil floats on water, it would be above the water level in the block). I would bet the internals don't look too good if they were sitting in water for years... The coolant system is sealed, so it makes sense it is clean...
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

blk02 i think your onto something thanks man this has been driving me nuts as the water was freezing it was pushing the oil up i know it seems odd but somehow under the cowl seems soaked still with water.it snowed and warmed up a couple days ago there is some way its getting into the motor. i was thinkin maybee pcv or egr in back of intake.?,?.?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

"top of intake" under the cowl is soaked

Quick Reply: why is water in my oil pan and oil in exhaust