Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone ever deal with this before? Dog Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever deal with this before? Dog Help!

The Vet is telling me that my Rottie has a torn ACL and will need surgery. He said 40% of dogs that tear the one side will tear the other side so they are pushing to get the surgery done quickly. I've called around the area Delaware and Chester county and found a wide range of prices. Anyone ever deal with it?

How was recovery?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

My female Akita had a torn cruciate when she was about 4-5. She never developed any issue with the other leg prior to her passing 20 days before he 11th birthday...I dont remember exactly how long her recovery was(2-3 weeks??) What repair options did they give you, how old and how much does your dog weigh?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take my Rottie to Brandywine vet on route one.. Did you call them?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NJC-Redss00
The Vet is telling me that my Rottie has a torn ACL and will need surgery. He said 40% of dogs that tear the one side will tear the other side so they are pushing to get the surgery done quickly. I've called around the area Delaware and Chester county and found a wide range of prices. Anyone ever deal with it?

How was recovery?

Thanks,
Nick
One of my German Shepherds tore both within 3 years. Cost me close to $4,000 between both surgeries. He was never the same afterwards. The surgeries were done in Jackson, N.J. I wouldn't recommend them.

There's a hospital in Langhorne Pa. Not sure how far you are from there.

Last edited by Firehawk441; 01-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cane corso tore his one side and before we could get him into surgery he tore the other side. He doesn't feel pain so the one side never slowed him. When he ran (because he wouldn't walk, he's full throttle all the time) you could here them clicking. They did surgery on the first side that tore and while he was healing from that the other side built up enough cartilage that it healed itself. Recovery wasn't bad as the vet had him doped up pretty good. Price wasn't to cheap either. There's 2 in Langhorne that firehawk is talking about, VSEC and CARES.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

The dog is a three year old female that weighs 122lbs. We have been working on her weight like crazy, she was up to 134 lbs at one point.

The procedure that seems to be really the only option on the big dogs is a type of bone graph that changes the angle of the knee. TPLO I want to say was the short name.

Fran, I have not called them but I'll give them a call today. I had a three hour appointment yesterday with Brandywine Valley Vet in Coatesville. They seem to specialize in this type of area.

I'm glad to hear people have spent the money on their dogs and I'm not the only crazy guy out there. A couple of my buddies said just put her down, but I honestly can’t bring myself to do that. On the other hand I can’t stand watching the dog walk on three legs and fall going up and down stairs.

Looks like the 9 inch will have to wait a couple months!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

We have a 145lbs male Rotty/Caucasian Shepherd that tore his ACL as well. he favored it for about 6-8 months but now gets around fine. No surgery or anything. Is there a way that she can avoid steps while it heals? getting her weight down will help a lot. he was about 9 when it happened which is part of the reason that we didn't get the surgery.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

I have a split level, so steps are really impossible avoid unless I just build her a pen outside but she isn't used to being an outside dog.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My last rottie tore her acl when we moved into our current house because she wasn't accustomed to the hardwood floors and tried to go around a turn at full speed and her knee leg kicked out. She was 3 at the time and we had it fixed at the Langhorne animal hospital.

4 years later she tore the other knee while in the backyard playing with a puppy at the fence. She was jumping and landed wrong and tore the other knee. Back to Langhorne Animal Hospital.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

How was the recovery?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Recovery was a little tough. For the first few days it meant holding her while she tried to go to the bathroom because she was in pain and it was awkward for her. Cast came off in 4-6 weeks I think.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Surgery just finished up. Doc said she is doing well. We'll see how she is tomorrow when I go to pic her up. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good news, where did you end up going?
Old 02-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up going with Dr. Moss at brandywine valley veterinary hospital. I'm sure I could have found cheaper, but I really liked the amount of time he took to explain everything in detail.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

The dog is home, i must say i wasn't expecting her to be in this bad of shape. I have to use a towel lift her up and help her pee just like Alchemist said. She is having issues with leaking pee right now, not sure what that's all about may have to call the doc if it doesn't stop. Hoping i made the correct call.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by NJC-Redss00
The dog is home, i must say i wasn't expecting her to be in this bad of shape. I have to use a towel lift her up and help her pee just like Alchemist said. She is having issues with leaking pee right now, not sure what that's all about may have to call the doc if it doesn't stop. Hoping i made the correct call.
She probably still has some anasthesia in her system, which is impacting her ability to control her bladder. I know we just had our 8 month old rotty fixed, and for a few days she had bladder control issues. My advice, is let her drink, then take her outside within 5-10 minutes. After she's done drinking, don't leave any water down for her.

Yeah, it's going to be a tough week or so, but then it'll be better.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I had 1 friend with a 6 year old great dane whos ACL tore, he sold his vette and paid $4000 to get it fixed. Dog died less than a year later.

Had another friend who had a huge bulldog that tore its ACL, paid $3-4000 to get it fixed, doc told him it would happen to the other one, so he got "pet health insurance" for like $10 a month. Sure enough, a year later, other ACL tore and he was COVERED.

Long story short, if it happened to 1 ACL and you elect to not just trade it in on a new dog with less miles, get pet insurance.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Trading in would have been much cheaper, but wasn't an option for my wife and I.

I had heard the pet insurance idea, and I've started calling around trying to find someone that would cover it in the case that it did happen again. But, after seeing the dog and what she's going through I'm not sure I'd do it to her again.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

She's 3 years old, she'll recover from this and live a long happy life. I know it's tough to see right now, but in a few weeks she'll be back to 100% and you'll have no regrets.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever deal with this before? Dog Help!