Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Delaware safety inspections?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delaware safety inspections?

I currently live in Baltimore, MD and getting ready to move to Delaware. Is there anyone here who currently lives in DE and can shed some light on the safety inspection? The inspection checklist is less than that of MD and is free but the only part that scares me is "Muffler must effectively reduce sound of engine exhaust. No leaks in exhaust system. Catalytic converter must be installed if originally equipped from manufacturer".

My car has long tubes, cat shells, ORY pipe and SLP exhaust. It passes an OBDII test because of O2 sims. Does anyone know what they are looking for in DE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live here and went though recently... This is what they did to my 94z...

Plugged into the OBD1 port and had me let it just idle.

Then they had be rev and hold it at 2500 rpm for like a minute while the computer took readings.

The tech walked around to the passenger side with a mirror on a stick and took about a half second look to see if there was a cat. present. I do have one, but I dont know if he would have even noticed if i didnt.

He did not put a sniffer in the exhaust pipe. But I did see him do it to the guy in front of me with a older car.

They make you hit the brakes on the skid pad
headlights
horn
wipers
signals
brake lights
no tint on front door windows

Thats about it.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the post, 96+ is just an OBDII test. Did your car have aftermarket exhaust?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

De. doesnt have the sound test anymore. Like greenblood said above they just check for a cat with a mirror. There will be no sniffer they will just plug into your obdII.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ARaver
Thanks for the post, 96+ is just an OBDII test. Did your car have aftermarket exhaust?
slp mids, borla catback. i failed. but i dont think the exhaust was the issue. i had to get an exemption
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Awesome guys I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

not sure where in delaware your moving too but I greatly prefer the inspection lanes at the wilmington dmv (avoid the new castle one, i think they get paid based on the number of vehicles they fail . havent gone through with the LT's and no cats yet, have to in the next 2 months though. the safety stuff is all just normal as long as your wipers, horn, lights, etc work and brakes shouldnt be a issue. the emissions like others said for your car will be OBD 2 so they just plug in under the dash. they will fail you for a check engine light but your simulators should take care of that. Ive never been checked for a cat and as low as my car sits I dont think they would be able to see **** anyways but i have heard others say that. for a safe bet I know a lot of people use aftermarket cat shields and tack them around their exhaust to look like a cat from the ground using a mirror. If you want one just let me know, I have quite a few laying around I lend to friends.lol
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Im moving to Selbyville. They do that same thing here, just put the mirror underneath and dont even look at it. I got the headers with the cat shells just for appearance purposes. Thanks for your post and I appreciate the offer. Cool thing is that there is a speed shop right down the street from where Im moving that does dyno and tuning work!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Teching In

In southern Delaware they check emissions with a sniffer, my car failed horribly though it is heads/cam long tubes and catless but they wanted me to be at 220ppm for hydrocarbons and I think I was around 2800 lol.....I live about 30min away from selbyville. I guess Sussex county is just different with inspection
Old 02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

im going to get my o2's tuned out and ill be going through in about another month so ill let you guys know how my trip turns out.lol
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z400Racr90
In southern Delaware they check emissions with a sniffer, my car failed horribly though it is heads/cam long tubes and catless but they wanted me to be at 220ppm for hydrocarbons and I think I was around 2800 lol.....I live about 30min away from selbyville. I guess Sussex county is just different with inspection
Yeah upon reading I figured that one out. It sucks but its only a $200 waiver and I can create my own invoices at my job so no sweat.

Quick Reply: Delaware safety inspections?