Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Looking for a local machine shop to bore out my rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for a local machine shop to bore out my rotors

Hey all I am doing a CTSV brembo swap on my 2000 Camaro and I am using 2010 Camaro rotors

So I have this pair of rotors where I need the hub bore opened up from 67.8mm to 70.6mm. I was originally going to do it myself by making a jig using old rotors and bolting the rotor down and using a 70mm hole saw or possibly a cylinder hone. Everyone I talked to said they wouldnt mess with it and just to bring it to a machine shop. I was hesitant at first because I like doing things myself but after thinking about it for a while I said screw it that would be the better way. I called 12 local machine shops today, 10 of which said they didnt want to do it. One of them said they would do it but they charge a $75 flat fee plus whatever time it takes and said he would need them for an entire day. The other said he would have to set it up on the machine and see how long it takes him but he couldnt get me a price until he does so and also said it would "probably be time consuming". So basically the guy has me over a barrel at that point and could charge me whatever he wants once he has the rotor on the machine.

So does anyone know of a machine shop local to Dutchess county NY that would be willing to do this? Ill travel a little.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's the cost diff vs buying rotors?? Are they avalible in the market or is this one off??
Old 04-08-2013, 06:41 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had to do the same thing. Finally found a shop to do it, and it ended up costing me over $150 to have them opened up.

I said F'it, and just paid it. With as little as I drive my car, it'll be 10 years before I need a new rotor.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
What's the cost diff vs buying rotors?? Are they avalible in the market or is this one off??
Haha I wish there was a place I could just buy them already cut. This would be a one off thing

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I had to do the same thing. Finally found a shop to do it, and it ended up costing me over $150 to have them opened up.

I said F'it, and just paid it. With as little as I drive my car, it'll be 10 years before I need a new rotor.
Yeah, me too. Someone actually gave me an idea of having the hubs turned down to meet the rotor hub bore, but I already have studs in them and like you said itll be 10 years probably before I need new rotors.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

yep..cost me about the same thing and that was with my discount here through the shop...lol.

Originally Posted by silversrtman
Haha I wish there was a place I could just buy them already cut. This would be a one off thing

Yeah, me too. Someone actually gave me an idea of having the hubs turned down to meet the rotor hub bore, but I already have studs in them and like you said itll be 10 years probably before I need new rotors.
you do have another option...you can used C6 Zo6 rotors which bolt right up...only thing is when you bolt on the calipers you'll need to space the caliper forward slightly b/c the Zo6 rotors have a slightly differant offset...its very minumal but enough that you'll need some spacers. just a thought.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Paid $80 for a machine shop down here to do it. It's seriously about 20 minutes of work tops. I felt like I overpaid but like others just wanted it done and didn't feel like driving all over to save $20.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Call Jimi at Fishkill Plains Garage. He's on Old Route 9 North in Wappingers Falls and has a full machine shop. His number is 845.298.9041. He's a truly honest mechanic and does a lot of performance work. He's the only person I let anywhere near my cars.

Quick Reply: Looking for a local machine shop to bore out my rotors