Delaware DMV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delaware DMV?

Mods are in sig.

What are my chances of passing?

No cats on the car and I plan on lowering it 1.5 inches before my next inspection.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well in sussex county i know they dont do a sniffer test. Just a obd2 test. If all your monitors are ready you should pass no problem.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jsteele90
well in sussex county i know they dont do a sniffer test. Just a obd2 test. If all your monitors are ready you should pass no problem.
Sweet. Yep everything has been cleared by a dyno tune. Wasn't sure if they did a sniff test since my car smells like an old tractor lol
Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

here you go
http://www.dmv.de.gov/services/vehic...missions.shtml
Old 01-21-2014, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Sweet. Yep everything has been cleared by a dyno tune. Wasn't sure if they did a sniff test since my car smells like an old tractor lol
im going to be moving back in about a year so im going to have to get my Air and egr turned back on im assuming. maybe ill just try it for the hell of it, see what they say. rear 02's,egr, and air are all tuned out.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:49 AM
11 Second Club

Mine passed just fine. I'm catless and it's obvious. Even had a marker light out and the inspector shrugged it off. As long as you don't have codes or dash lights on it isn't usually an issue. I'm stock height, but have friends with lowered cars who pass just fine too.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02'Andy
Mine passed just fine. I'm catless and it's obvious. Even had a marker light out and the inspector shrugged it off. As long as you don't have codes or dash lights on it isn't usually an issue. I'm stock height, but have friends with lowered cars who pass just fine too.
Sweet. No dash lights here. I have a few honda buddies who failed because they were too low. Cracks me up every time lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live in Sussex and actually just took both of my trucks through within the past few months and they do, and for as long as I can remember, always have had a sniffer test. As a matter of fact I have failed it before. I wouldn't even attempt my TA without cats. I'm not sure the rule on dash lights, but I have had a check engine light on and have passed, maybe I was lucky. Being lowered I have no clue. Only good news is there is not a decibel limit, or at least last I heard there wasn't.

Oh a side note, they've never plugged in any of my cars
Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Teching In

New Castle County did a visual on my car for the cats this last go around.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Im active duty military but a DE resident. All i have to do every two years is take my car to any garage here that does smog checks here. They give me a print out of the high side and low side numbers. which are typically about 10x the DE limit. DE sends me my stickers everytime. Oh and they also require a basic safety inspection and OBD2 readiness check. My car has the rear o2's, EGR, and AIR removed so i know those werent " ready".
Old 01-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Sussex county most definitely does a smog test, my car fails miserably with this cam and tune. But if you don't pass you can just get $200 in receipts or something along those lines towards trying to correct the problem (ie. plugs, wires, air filter, etc...) and qualify for an emissions waiver.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z400Racr90
Sussex county most definitely does a smog test, my car fails miserably with this cam and tune. But if you don't pass you can just get $200 in receipts or something along those lines towards trying to correct the problem (ie. plugs, wires, air filter, etc...) and qualify for an emissions waiver.
Id be going to the DMV in Newark, right by Airport road.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

go to the one in Wilmington instead, Ive had nothing but problems at the one by airport rd and everybody there seems like they are pissed off and im pretty sure they get paid extra money depending on the number of people they fail everyday.lol. You are allowed to have 2 "not ready" I believe (or it may be one, always get that confused. and so many "not supported". My rear 02's, egr, and AIR were tuned out by race proven motorsports and after I drove around for about 100 miles getting the system reset I went through with no problems without cats. New Castle and Kent county will plug you in for obd 2 vehicles, however sussex county does not have the system there for that so ALL cars have to do the sniffer test which you will more than likely fail. If I lived down there id rather drive to dover than deal with that stuff
Old 01-27-2014, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
Id be going to the DMV in Newark, right by Airport road.
That is New Castle by the way, not Newark. Also noticed the tint in your sig, no tint is allowed on side glass unless you have a tint waiver, just a heads up.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the heads up. I do in fact have a tint waiver but you're telling me to go to the one in Wilmington? I could also make the trip down to Dover depending on if the one in new castle is really that bad.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

I personally would avoid New Castle. Failed a friends lt1 with no cats by using a mirror. I gave him a pair of cat shields I had, he cleaned them up and welded them onto his exhaust. From the bottom side no one could tell. went back a few days later and the guy actually laid down on the ground and put his hand over top of the shielf to see if there was an actual cat there or just a shield . remember this is an fbody, pretty tight to get up underneath even at factory heigh and this guy risked burning his had to check this thoroughly.

Know somebody else who was taking a 66 chevelle through for antique tags.just had a 355 built for the car but from the outside its a 350. was failed for inspection for antique tags because the inspector told him the car had a "big block" in it which was not factory for that year so he was not allowed to pass antique inspection.if you cant tell the difference in a bcc vs a sbc from the outside then you really shouldnt be anywhere near inspecting a vehicle imo.

Ive got more stories from there too and everytime its a problem its always at new castle. Ive never had a single problem at wilmington, and have had guys go out of their way up there to help me pass with certain vehicles. ( I did have one problem years ago with a guy but asked for his supervisor and they resolved the issue, which I was correct on anyways but never seen that person there again)

But Im rambling now so anyways yeah I would do Wilmington or try dover, never been there but maybe someone else can chime in about that place if its a lot closer for you.

Anybody whos that determined to fail a car
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Are these all recent stories? A friend of mine had his Ls1 pass and he has nitrous hookups in plain sight at new castle. Anyway, I'll just go to Wilmington for the inspection, thanks for the advice
Old 01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

both were within the last year to year and a half. All depends on what inspector you get though I guess.

As far as the nitrous I can see where that might look alarming but honestly what could they say. its not causing you to fail anything safety related and wouldnt cause any emission problems either. Unless of course you decided to spray it while doing a sniffer test
Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Steve, I would put fake cats on it before taking it through. Also, get someone older to take it through for you (mom or dad, etc). Believe me it helps. They always give me issues when I take my cars through the DMV. As other have posted...I had two guys come out and look at my cats on my 96 Z the last time I took it through...they can be a real PITA and once they get you they will make notes in the comments so when you go back through it will be more difficult. Close up that cutout and put a baffle in your borla to quiet it up. Then put some cat shields on the bottom for the appearance of cats. As long as you have no SES lights they will pass you. BTW, they hate tint waivers and the last time I took my black car through in Nov they gave me a bunch of crap on my tint waiver (mine is over 6 years old but not in their system) they passed me but said I have to go back and get the doctor to fill out another one. Enough ranting. good luck.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nostang
Hey Steve, I would put fake cats on it before taking it through. Also, get someone older to take it through for you (mom or dad, etc). Believe me it helps. They always give me issues when I take my cars through the DMV. As other have posted...I had two guys come out and look at my cats on my 96 Z the last time I took it through...they can be a real PITA and once they get you they will make notes in the comments so when you go back through it will be more difficult. Close up that cutout and put a baffle in your borla to quiet it up. Then put some cat shields on the bottom for the appearance of cats. As long as you have no SES lights they will pass you. BTW, they hate tint waivers and the last time I took my black car through in Nov they gave me a bunch of crap on my tint waiver (mine is over 6 years old but not in their system) they passed me but said I have to go back and get the doctor to fill out another one. Enough ranting. good luck.
Hey Matt! Thanks for all the info. I definitely need to get some fake cat shields to put up, like said above the guy was also having better luck with Wilmington DMV. So I may make the trip up there to get it done.

Quick Reply: Delaware DMV?