Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Just moved to Warrenton, VA, emissions/inspection questions

Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Just moved to Warrenton, VA, emissions/inspection questions

I just moved to Warrenton, VA in Farquier county. My car has long tubes, no cats, no AIR, no passenger airbag and driver airbag is unplugged (airbag light is on), no ABS (ABS light is on), and no front crash supports. It does have all wipers, lights, etc. Does anyone know what the emissions/inspection laws are on a 20 year old 1994 car? If it doesnt look like Ill pass inspection Ill just have to keep registering it in WV at my friends house, but Id like to get everything together in 1 state finally.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be clear in emissions out there. As far as safety goes really what I would be concerned with is the airbag light. If that's on it's instant fail. Put a resistor in it and get it off. They prob won't notice an aftermarket wheel.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no emissions in Warrenton. Abs don't worry about it. The cats, air and air bag, etc. you'll have to look around to see if you can find a blind not hungry inspector. Good luck
Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Like it has been said, no emissions, but the no cats and airbag will fail for State Inspection. Not sure about the missing crash support.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackfang
Like it has been said, no emissions, but the no cats and airbag will fail for State Inspection. Not sure about the missing crash support.
depends on how the inspector looks at it. if they decide frame structure than no, if they decide bumper than yes.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.sh...pectionProgram

The guy I take my stuff to goes strictly by this list... cam longtubes and offroad y with aftermarket cats welded in ... never had an issue... I also have deleted the abs but opened up the cluster and pulled the bulb so no dash lights... even passed my et streets that were down to the wear bars
Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

I've been told aftermarket cats can't be passed because they are not in the stock location.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

No emissions to worry about, BUT to pass state inspection you must have factory appearing emissions equipment in the factory location. You will also insta-fail if there are any RED warning lights illuminated on your dash.

There are plenty if inspection stations in this area though who will most likely pass it if you explain your situation.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

I might just reregister it in WV at my buddys house like Ive been doing, but I was hoping to get completely legal (or as much as I can be) in this house. I used to have the camaro and my truck registered in WV, my wifes car in MD, my work truck registered in VA, my license in CT, my wifes license in NY, and we lived in MD. This time Im trying to get everything in one state, but Im not going to break my back to make the camaro pass VA inspection.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:30 AM
12 Second Club

Got my first personal property tax bill since I moved to VA and I am very confused.

I registered my 95 half ton chevy pickup with a GVWR of 6200 lbs and my wifes Hyundai Tucson in VA when I moved here. The lady at the DMV asked me when I was registering my truck if Im going to be hauling anything and I said yes, my car on the trailer, which is 4500lbs. She said that since my truck weighs 5000lbs and the car trailer is 4500lbs I should get 10,000lb truck tags. I said ok, and I registered it with 10,000lb truck tags and paid the extra $50 or whatever. My wifes Tucson I registered as a plain old car.

On the bill I got in the mail it shows that the Tucson got reduced by 58.5% which is the car reduction, but the truck had no reduction, and with the truck only being valued at $3000, for the 6 months it was like $65 at the Fauquir rate of 4.26%. I called my buddy who just bought a new Ecoboost and was talking with him and was mentioning how with his 6.61% rate of Stafford county on his $30,000 truck would give him a bill of $1900, and he said no his truck is registered as a car, under 7500lbs GVWR. I said what happens when he gets pulled over with his boat attached which puts him over 7500lbs, and he had no idea, just said that Carmax registered it.

I got online and searched and searched and CANNOT find a straight answer as to how I should have registered my truck. One thing says that you can register it as a car as long as you never exceed 7500lbs on the 2 axles of the vehicle including tounge weight of the trailer, another says that it always is measured by the weight of the trailer plus the weight of the vehicle, or gross COMBINED weight. I dont understand this since I already paid for the weight of the trailer, and if I paid for the weight of the trailer and the weight over its axles, and if I paid for the truck and the weight over its axles, why would I have to pay again for the truck and trailer combined? From what I can tell, with me registering my truck at 10,000lbs, as long as what I put in the bed keeps me less than 10,000lbs and have no trailer, Im fine, so I could put a 3000lb pallet of stone in the bed and be legal. But what if I hook up to a 6000lb trailer and now my 5000 + 6000lb trailer is 11,000, now Im illegal? Or if I bring a bunch of spare parts to the track and my truck and car on the trailer is over 10,000lbs, since Im registered as a truck at 10,000lbs Im illege, but if I registered it as a car and the weight on the truck axles was less than 7500lbs then I would be legal? On my drive in today I looked at every truck license plate and only 1 ton trucks had truck tags, every half ton and most 3/4 ton trucks had car tags. I keep reading online and it seems like people are going to the DMV, to police stations, to weigh stations, and nobody can get a straight answer as to what is legal. Some people even said that talking to NC and VA police, the police dont even know what is legal, so they are just ticketing everyone and letting the courts decide.

Those of you with a pickup truck, are you registering it as a truck or as a car? What if you have a tahoe and are towing a trailer that puts you over 7500lbs combined? Do you need truck tags? With my $3000 truck its not a big deal that I dont get the 58.5% tax reduction, but if I buy a new truck, I cant afford a $2000 tax bill, but I dont want to get nailed towing my car or boat for an overload fine. It also seems that if you get pulled over and ticketed for an overload fine, they impound your trailer until you pay the fine.

Another thing I read is that if it is registered as a truck, its now basically a commercial vehicle, which means no tax reduction and that I HAVE to stop at EVERY weigh station, even if Im towing for personal use. Anybody have experience on this stuff? I am concerned that if I dont change my registration to a car and get pulled over with a 5100lb trailer I will be fined.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just moved to Warrenton, VA, emissions/inspection questions