Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Victim of Entrapment by LEO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 03:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Victim of Entrapment by LEO?

This happened a few nights back on my way home with the girlfriend and her brother in the daily driver (2000 Nissan Altima)...

We were on a major highway where the speed limit is 55mph, it is night and it had rained about two hours prior, the roads were drying up but still wet on the grates that let you know that you are wandering lanes.

Anyway, we are behind an unmarked police car in the left lane who is just sitting at the speed limit for a distance of over two miles and NOT passing the traffic to the right of him, which there were three cars to our right and one behind me.

I flash my brights at him in the hopes to get him to speed up and get the hell over to speed up so I can get into the right lane and take my exit.

At this time I am sitting behind him by about 30-feet and flash my brights a second time, see that this **** is not moving over, speed up to make room into the right lane and take my exit.

I notice that he not only almost dead stops in the left lane of the highway to nearly cut off the third car in the line of traffic in the right lane, but fails to signal to take the exit to sit behind me at the traffic light. Once the light turns greens, he lights up the blue and reds.

He says he is giving me a warning for "improper use of headlights," "aggressive driving by cutting over two lanes of traffic in the rain," and "speeding."

He said he cited me for "following too closely," and that the ticket would be mailed to me; I still have not received said citation and will follow up with the local PD on Monday if I still do not receive it.

I am going to plead not guilty and fight the hell out of it, but would stating that this is "Entrapment" because this **** would not simply follow the "slow traffic keep right" state law hold any water?
Old 01-03-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better look up what entrapment is. Also he was doing the speed limit nothing you can do about that. You cut two lanes he has you on that one. The rest will get dismissed.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

I hope you didn't know it was an unmarked car when you flashed it because if so you might be a complete ******* idiot.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My84Z
Better look up what entrapment is. Also he was doing the speed limit nothing you can do about that. You cut two lanes he has you on that one. The rest will get dismissed.
Well, you are correct on that; I had forgot to mention the part where he was doing 60mph prior and slowed back down to 55.

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
I hope you didn't know it was an unmarked car when you flashed it because if so you might be a complete ******* idiot.
Thanks clown.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

would not simply follow the "slow traffic keep right" state law

I think LE is exempt from that, and the speed limit isn't "slow traffic".
Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by panic
would not simply follow the "slow traffic keep right" state law

I think LE is exempt from that, and the speed limit isn't "slow traffic".
Perhaps "entrapment," is not the correct word to use in this situation; however I feel that I was most certainly baited into my predicament.

Public Servants are not above the law, they must abide by the same traffic laws that we do without their emergency lights flashing.

The point in which I am trying to argue is, that if he had maintained his speed, and was not negligent to yield to faster flowing traffic in the left lane; “impeding the flow of other traffic," which is a violation in the state of PA, I would not be getting a ticket.

In latent terms, he's writing me a citation (which I have never heard of having one being mailed to me before, as I still have not received it) for his own failure to cooperation with state law of "Keep right, pass left."
Old 01-03-2016, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Wow...where do I start?

1) You are in the wrong on this one. My guess is you will never get a ticket, he just wanted to scare you.

2) Why in the world you you ever flash a LEO? He can cite you for that!

3) Speeding....out the window IMO if you're telling the truth.

4) Way too much else to say....ignore it unless you get a ticket. If you get one just eat it, you were in the wrong to ever challenge a cop. Learn from this is my tip.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt there actually is a ticket, if there is one , I'd pay it and move on.
In court it's your word vs. the guy who wrote it and I doubt he'd change his mind.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I doubt there actually is a ticket, if there is one , I'd pay it and move on.
In court it's your word vs. the guy who wrote it and I doubt he'd change his mind.
I don't have a problem paying it, I just don't want the points; especially when I am not the only one guilty lol
Old 01-04-2016, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RikkiTorment
This happened a few nights back on my way home with the girlfriend and her brother in the daily driver (2000 Nissan Altima)...

We were on a major highway where the speed limit is 55mph, it is night and it had rained about two hours prior, the roads were drying up but still wet on the grates that let you know that you are wandering lanes.

Anyway, we are behind an unmarked police car in the left lane who is just sitting at the speed limit for a distance of over two miles and NOT passing the traffic to the right of him, which there were three cars to our right and one behind me.

I flash my brights at him in the hopes to get him to speed up and get the hell over to speed up so I can get into the right lane and take my exit.

At this time I am sitting behind him by about 30-feet and flash my brights a second time, see that this **** is not moving over, speed up to make room into the right lane and take my exit.

I notice that he not only almost dead stops in the left lane of the highway to nearly cut off the third car in the line of traffic in the right lane, but fails to signal to take the exit to sit behind me at the traffic light. Once the light turns greens, he lights up the blue and reds.

He says he is giving me a warning for "improper use of headlights," "aggressive driving by cutting over two lanes of traffic in the rain," and "speeding."

He said he cited me for "following too closely," and that the ticket would be mailed to me; I still have not received said citation and will follow up with the local PD on Monday if I still do not receive it.

I am going to plead not guilty and fight the hell out of it, but would stating that this is "Entrapment" because this **** would not simply follow the "slow traffic keep right" state law hold any water?
Then why do some car owners manuals call the flash feature on the stalk "flash to pass"?? What about flashing a tractor trailer that it's clear to come over?? Is that "improper use of headlights" too?
Old 01-04-2016, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
I agree with this. Flashing your highs at him was pretty dumb. You would have probably been fine if you had just moved over to the right lane and gone about your business.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

entrapment would be if the officer told you to flash your high beams and then cited you for it. If he was doing the speed limit youre taking a one way trip down beat street.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hilarious thread. Even I've never flashed a cop like that
Old 01-09-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls2pontiac
Hilarious thread. Even I've never flashed a cop like that
Well... if I knew it was a cop, I would not have extended a nice hand gesture out the window either...
Old 01-10-2016, 01:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Never pass a cop when they're cruising the speed limit in the outer lane.
Many times they are pacing traffic.

Flashing at him is begging for trouble.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28 6spd
Then why do some car owners manuals call the flash feature on the stalk "flash to pass"?? What about flashing a tractor trailer that it's clear to come over?? Is that "improper use of headlights" too?
It makes....me....LIVID when people hit me with the brights to let me know it's safe to move over, That is NOT how it's done. I drive commercially, and I see this nightly from both 4 wheelers...and more and more new commercial drivers. If you feel the need to hit me with the brights to let me know it's clear....I prefer you do nothing at am all, besides...if a driver can't tell when he's clear he shouldn't be behind the wheel of a big truck. The best way to let a driver know he's clear is to kill your headlights for a split second....NOT HIT EM WITH THE BRIGHTS.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28 6spd
At no time is it technically legal to bright someone to get them to move over, regardless of how much you hate their guts for doing 10mph under the speed limit in the "fast lane"
SIDE NOTE.....LOL alittle late on this but the "flash to pass" your referring to has nothing to do with brighting someone who is in your way. "Flash to Pass" is the ability to tap the turn signal stalk up/down and get 4 blinks out of it so you can change lanes quick. This is a way to change lanes and not have to push signal stalk all the way down then back to neutral position to turn off signal lights. All you do it tap stalk up or down quick to get your 4 quick signal blinks and then it stops.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Last I checked (and it's been a while) flash to pass is to warn the people in front of you that I am about to pass you now. Flashing to make someone pull over is not a legit move.

Quick Reply: Victim of Entrapment by LEO?