Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

My experience with Pro Edge Tuning, CT/Mongillo Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience with Pro Edge Tuning, CT/Mongillo Motorsports

I have a 1991 Nissan 300zx that i swapped a 408 stroker LSx into. The whole drive train besides the transmission was brand new with 0 miles. I contacted ED at Pro Edge in regards to him breaking in/Dyno tuning my fresh motor swap.

(Im going to try to make this short)

Ed worked around my busy schedule of college and work to fit me in. I brought the car down (keep in mind i never even turned it over because i had big injectors, Fast 102 lsxr, big cam etc with a base ls1 tune set for 28lbers). Right off the bad there were a few mechanical problems, such as the MAP sensor extension was not working. I also brought the car to him with a 1/4 tank of old gas which i had no idea was bad. This caused problems which prolonged the base tune. He told me to go to the gas station and get new gas. I spent a good hour running back and forth getting gas while he worked on the tune. Once Ed was able to get a tune down, he drove the car into the shop where my clutch pedal went to the floor from a busted slave cylinder.

A week or two went by, i fixed the clutch problem and filled the tank with fresh 93. I brought the car down to Ed to finish the tune. And more problems arose. The car was running hot, and my IAC sensor was not working along with my TPS. Ed spent an hour or so gathering IAC sensors from around the shop to see if the problem was the sensor. None of the sensors worked. This happened in the middle of him dyno tuning the car which was a huge setback. I then went to the store to buy a new TPS and IAC sensor. The TPS and IAC would work all of a sudden, then stop working causing alot of time to be wasted. By this time there was another 11am-6pm day passed by. He then stayed even later to try and help me out.
(Most tunes should be a 1 day type of thing, mine took about 3-4 full days)

The third day now, Ed called me giving me the option to come down to the shop to trouble shoot my system in hopes of saving myself from money from labor. I spent a good 4-5 hours testing the ECU for conductivity etc. All was good. During this time Ed has other customers, but still walked out side to check on me and make sure all was well. By this time it was dark out, he came out with his computer after the shop had closed, and went at it trying to see what was up. He spent about 2-3 hours yet again on my car.

The fourth day Ed told me all he had left to do was cold starts. He spent another few hours messing with the idle and iac sensor to get it just right. My cam was very big (246/258 .615) which made it a pain in the ***. I ended up using his tools to drill a hole in my TB to allow enough air for the car to idle on cold starts. By this time it was 7pm on the fourth day, i was able to drive it home.

Ed put a total of 3-4 days of extra tuning time and mechanical labor into my car. In the end of the day i paid xxx$ amount. He only charged me for 2 hours of shop time, although he put in a good 20+ hours of EXTRA time into my z. Me being a broke college student... appreciated this very much! Ed was very knowledgeable and genuinely cared about not only me but my car as well . He treated my car awesome and understood how much it means to me. He also told me to bring the car down to him once i get all the kinks worked out so he can go back over the tune and make sure everything is 100%.

I could not be any happier with my experience at Pro Edge Tuning in Wallingford CT. Ed put alot of time into my car when he could have been tuning other vehicles. He was great to work with and i will definitely be heading back there for all my tuning needs. so if you have a LS based motor, and you are anywhere near the east coast, This is the place to go!

Last edited by nickp0808; 05-30-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy to hear you had a positive experience as well, when I saw the length of your post I thought it would be negative because usually something that long contains nothing good lmao

I felt the same way that Ed and Bill both go the extra mile to make sure the job is done right, even going to the point of wearing rubber/latex gloves when working on customers cars, really treating them and caring for them as if it were their own
Old 10-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro edge

Originally Posted by mezzoni
Happy to hear you had a positive experience as well, when I saw the length of your post I thought it would be negative because usually something that long contains nothing good lmao

I felt the same way that Ed and Bill both go the extra mile to make sure the job is done right, even going to the point of wearing rubber/latex gloves when working on customers cars, really treating them and caring for them as if it were their own
i have been dealing with Ed and Bill for years...they have tuned every on of my cars from a 2k hp drag radial car to my work van...about 10 cars in total..and never failed to get it right..just did my SRT8 and my 07 escalade this week..couldn't be happier..as many of you know, alot of mechanical issues that arise from tuning are because there already was a problem and the tune brought it to the surface..not always but most of the time.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also give them a thumbs up. Ed was very helpful with my tune and again i had some minor issues after my build. He got me very good results on a SBE Ls1 turbo with a very conservative tune. Definitely a good shop to deal with and they make you feel comfortable leaving your car with them. Also remember many shops do not like or won't tune builds they didn't do, wasn't an issue in my case.

Quick Reply: My experience with Pro Edge Tuning, CT/Mongillo Motorsports