Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Car sitting outside in snow need advice 😥

Old 12-23-2016, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car sitting outside in snow need advice 😥

So I'm in a less then ideal situation, the motor in my 2000 z28 gave up on me and it is sitting at the end of my grandparents driveway under a car cover here in upstate ny since october of last year ... I have no place to store it and it's buried in snow. I am frantically piecing together a 6.0 lq4 block together to throw in it so when the snow clears I can drive it somewhere to continue working on it. My question is what precautions should I take when I put it back on the road? I plan on changing tranny fluid, changing diff fluid, getting new tires and possibly changing wheel bearings and what not but is there anything I should watch out for or change out before I get it back on the road? Also it's been sitting with a 1/4 tank of gas so should I drop the tank and empty it and change the fuel pump and filter while I'm at it? Any advice is appreciated
Old 12-24-2016, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have it pretty well covered, Check for bald spots on the tires, 4 wheel alignment. and balance the tires
Old 12-24-2016, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your just moving it across town where it will sit again don't bother with all those things, just dump some fresh gas in it.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to put some masking tape on the sharp edges where the cover can chafe such as the edge of the rear wing.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Make sure no water went in through the cowl and into your intake. You don't want it to hydrolock when you start it.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Make sure no water went in through the cowl and into your intake. You don't want it to hydrolock when you start it.
The only sure way to do that is to turn the engine over by hand and see if it locks up. If it does pull the spark plugs turn it over to clear the water then start it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car sitting outside in snow need advice 😥