Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Looking for cheap rear rebuild, just S. of Pittsburgh.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for cheap rear rebuild, just S. of Pittsburgh.

I am having a clicking "knocking" noise from my right rear 1998 Z, anyone know of any CHEAP (and still good) places south of Pittsburgh they'd recommend to repair for me?

Money is a big thing right now... cheaper the better... figured a place who tears apart/rebuilds the F-body rears a lot would possibly be both a bit cheaper and better..
Old 12-28-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Greensburg Machine & Driveline rebuilt the rear in my 2K WS6 & also built my custom Chromolly DS.

He does high quality work and prices are not out of site. He will rebuild the rear either in or out of the car.

Obviously, it's in Greensburg,PA 145 Talbot Ave. owner's name is Mark PH# is 724-837-8233

-Jay-
Old 12-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Greensburg Machine & Driveline rebuilt the rear in my 2K WS6 & also built my custom Chromolly DS.

He does high quality work and prices are not out of site. He will rebuild the rear either in or out of the car.

Obviously, it's in Greensburg,PA 145 Talbot Ave. owner's name is Mark PH# is 724-837-8233

-Jay-
Yep, I am somewhat close, will call them! Thank you!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

No problem! 1st guy that rebuilt my rear when I upgraded to 3.73 gears did a total **** job - they howled like a burnt cat from the start

He claimed that gears that steep all make noise - and they were Genuine GM gears to boot!

Took it over to Mark and he did it the CORRECT way - stated there was way to much play in pinion depth - after he was done there isn't a peep out of it. He guarantees his work - if you aren't happy with the job - he'll make you happy. Actually he does quite a bit of the drag cars, trucks used in pulling, in my area and has a great rep.

When my stock 10-bolt goes away I'll be having him build me a 12-bolt - he can get the housings/axles for a cheaper price, uses a better diff. and I'll be sure that it is set-up correctly with no noise - plus if I ever have a problem - he's only 4 miles down the road. His price for the rear installed is cheaper than just the rear from Moser.

The DS he made for me is chromolly with HD yokes and Spicer U-Joints. When he spun it up to check for balance/runout - there was no need for any additional balancing weights and runout was extremely low.

You can tell him that Jay with the Black T/A from Greensburg referred you - don't know if that will get you any cheaper price though
Old 12-28-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

sheehans auto in browsville. they do excellent work. he installed my 4:10s and he walked me through everything he was doing and why he was doing it and what not to do when rebuilding rearends. so far i have 30+ passes on a stock 10 bolt with 4:10s and still going strong.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
sheehans auto in browsville. they do excellent work. he installed my 4:10s and he walked me through everything he was doing and why he was doing it and what not to do when rebuilding rearends. so far i have 30+ passes on a stock 10 bolt with 4:10s and still going strong.
that's even closer! Can I ask how much he charged you? THANKS!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
No problem! 1st guy that rebuilt my rear when I upgraded to 3.73 gears did a total **** job - they howled like a burnt cat from the start

He claimed that gears that steep all make noise - and they were Genuine GM gears to boot!

Took it over to Mark and he did it the CORRECT way - stated there was way to much play in pinion depth - after he was done there isn't a peep out of it. He guarantees his work - if you aren't happy with the job - he'll make you happy. Actually he does quite a bit of the drag cars, trucks used in pulling, in my area and has a great rep.

When my stock 10-bolt goes away I'll be having him build me a 12-bolt - he can get the housings/axles for a cheaper price, uses a better diff. and I'll be sure that it is set-up correctly with no noise - plus if I ever have a problem - he's only 4 miles down the road. His price for the rear installed is cheaper than just the rear from Moser.

The DS he made for me is chromolly with HD yokes and Spicer U-Joints. When he spun it up to check for balance/runout - there was no need for any additional balancing weights and runout was extremely low.

You can tell him that Jay with the Black T/A from Greensburg referred you - don't know if that will get you any cheaper price though

Ok, I know most of you with a lot of cash don't go this route, but I may be forced to go with the cheapest estimate. I realize that I take risks when not going to the best around, but I simply can't afford it. I will indeed tell him you referred me though.

THANKS AGAIN for the info and the advice, even if not for this job I will add it to my Palm Pilot for future repairs now that I know how knowledgeable they are. Nice tip.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i paid $180 for everything, that included the shims and a tranny fliud change too. i know ill be taking it there when i have my 3:42s installed here soon. Mick is the guy who did my car.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
i paid $180 for everything, that included the shims and a tranny fliud change too. i know ill be taking it there when i have my 3:42s installed here soon. Mick is the guy who did my car.
THANK YOU again. Sounds like a great deal. I will be calling them!! I hope Mick is still there... :-)

EDIT: I just talked to Mick, I am going to have him look at a whine in my Jeep Cherokee diff first, then the Camaro will be next. He seems very knowledgable with the diffs, and price seems very reasonable.

GREAT advice, THANKS again!!!

Last edited by tshafter; 12-30-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Search this Thread