Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

picked up the new tow rig today

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile picked up the new tow rig today

ya well it might be a year before i am able to tow with it, but got a helluva good price on a 2006 silverado 3500 duramax CC/LB 4x4 dually and well couldnt turn it down. my father and i purchased it together seeing as we both needed a tow rig and seperately couldnt afford it. its got the LT3 package leather,satellite radio, all the bells and whistles minus the GPS,sunroof, and rear DVD player. ive got pictures, but after almost an hour of trying to post them and still not being able to figure out how the hell to post them well i gave up. we have test driven fords and dodges, but none of them could come even remotely close to the chevy. and seeing as i am GM biased obviously and my father says he is unbiased, but has always been a mopar guy after showing him all of them, well u can see who won out this truck rides, handles,brakes, and i am sure will tow much better than the other 2. kinda sad when GM now has the oldest HD platform and is still so much better. wish i could post the pictures, but like i said i cant figure it out
Old 01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

just need to buy my enclosed trailer and you will all set
congrats on purchase
Old 01-06-2006, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OSR 1
just need to buy my enclosed trailer and you will all set
congrats on purchase

haha i wish i had the money to buy ur trailer my reenlistment bonus is only telling me that i can only afford a $9000 hallmark right now. i see it as a useful mobile storage device in which to take the car down to u some time later this year to the shop to have u work u magic while i am over in germany. on a side not my buddies are leaving for north carolina tomorrow on a bus to start there deployment training for afganistan...
Old 01-06-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

You really perfer the Duramax over the Cummins? Cummins is a serious machine. What's the specs on the Duramax?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

congrats man but holy hell long *** truck
Old 01-06-2006, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
You really perfer the Duramax over the Cummins? Cummins is a serious machine. What's the specs on the Duramax?
yup drive both and u will be convinced, trust me. plus u know first hand dodge cant make a tranny to save their life. plus im pretty sure that in a few years diamler will be ditching the cummins for a mercedes powerplant. and the 6 speed allison auto is amazing. its the new LBZ 360hp/650ftlb torque. plus the new dodge mega cabs look odd and the dually's look like *** with that new "wheel flare"

"congrats man but holy hell long *** truck"
ya ur telling me but with the independent front suspension the truck probably has a better turning radius than my camaro
Old 01-07-2006, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

congrats on the new truck .

I love my 2500 HD with the duramax/ allison combo. my truck pulls my 24' trailer like a monster. It will still pick up speed going up hills. The new (LBZ) is even stronger then my LLY so you are going to be very happy with it. If I were you I would pick up a EGT gauge. The exhaust gas temp rises very quickly on these trucks when you pull hard.

Congrats again you and your dad will love the truck
Old 01-07-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
yup drive both and u will be convinced, trust me. plus u know first hand dodge cant make a tranny to save their life. plus im pretty sure that in a few years diamler will be ditching the cummins for a mercedes powerplant. and the 6 speed allison auto is amazing. its the new LBZ 360hp/650ftlb torque. plus the new dodge mega cabs look odd and the dually's look like *** with that new "wheel flare"

"congrats man but holy hell long *** truck"
ya ur telling me but with the independent front suspension the truck probably has a better turning radius than my camaro
I drove an 02 Duramax and prefer the Cummins, but that's just an opinion. I'll definitly give you that the Allison is a far better tranny then any of dodges autos. You can get the Cummins with a 6 speed, it's a nice beefy tranny without issues.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

Congrats on the truck! If you want to e-mail me some pics of it I'll post them for you. Just send them to jeffers11@gmail.com
Old 01-07-2006, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bspz28
congrats on the new truck .

I love my 2500 HD with the duramax/ allison combo. my truck pulls my 24' trailer like a monster. It will still pick up speed going up hills. The new (LBZ) is even stronger then my LLY so you are going to be very happy with it. If I were you I would pick up a EGT gauge. The exhaust gas temp rises very quickly on these trucks when you pull hard.

Congrats again you and your dad will love the truck
ya ive driven all 3 the LB7,LLY, and now the LBZ and they just keep getting better im thinking about the EGT guage but we also bought the 84 month/84k miles warrantty and i dont want them to give me **** about it. i want to get the edge juice with attitude for it when i get back from germany in a year. by then im sure they will have it available for the LBZ. hell they dont even have an exhaust system for it yet... i love this truck just cruises on the highway and u definately need to keep an eye on the speed.

thanks tim i appreciate it
Old 01-07-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Duramax's are the way to go, cummins are way out dated, and dont stand a chance against the duramax. Drive both, and any sane person would choose a duramax
Old 01-07-2006, 07:53 PM
9 Second Club

Here you go.... damn thats a long truck!

Old 01-07-2006, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

thanks tim i appreciate it
Old 01-07-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Second Club

damn that things a beast, im jealous. All i have is a small s-10 zr2.
Is that a break light under the tailgate? If so is that an 06 option? my dads 05 doesnt have it. If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OrangesomSS
damn that things a beast, im jealous. All i have is a small s-10 zr2.
Is that a break light under the tailgate? If so is that an 06 option? my dads 05 doesnt have it. If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
no its just a running light. red tag price was 43grand and change. after trade, rebates, etc it was like 36 grand. oh u think thats bad u should see it next to my little 2wd ranger
Old 01-07-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

thats not bad at all. Im trying to talk my dad into getting one, it has the 6 speed allison in it, right?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Definately a nice truck! That thing will be happy with a load behind it.

Figures they come out with a 6 speed auto the year after I bought my Sierra. My tranny was build by Suncoast in FL. Also upgraded the converter and have a 150hp Westers tune on the way to me now. I'm going to see how that likes being stacked with the Edge.

The Edge is easy to pull out if your going to bring your truck in for serive. Or you can go with a Predator when they have it for the LBZ. That is another easy one to return to stock. I'm not sure how much extra this transmission can take. The LLY tranny will limp if you add more than about 80-90hp.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OrangesomSS
thats not bad at all. Im trying to talk my dad into getting one, it has the 6 speed allison in it, right?
yup 6 speed and it has a manual mode that will let u select what gear u want to be in and shift when u tell it too. awesome feature, than add in the tow mode, and well perfect hauler. once u figure out that u need 2 parking spots to fit it in its a perfect daily driver. i still cant believe how well this thing rides and handles its great u can crusie at 80 and the motor is only turning like 2 grand and according to the tach it redlines at 4800 rpm

ill tell ya what tom with that suncoast tranny and larger injectors u shouldnt have a problem with stacking ur truck. let me know when MBRP comes out with a cat back cool duals system for the 06 LBZ, i am dying to put some real pipes on this beast. from the factory its 3.5 inches from the turbo back. i took a look at it today at work when i had it up on the lift.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

How you gonna park that thing?! Nice truck.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
How you gonna park that thing?! Nice truck.
just like how i park my camaro, in the back of the parking lot except this beast takes 2-4 parking spots no it really only needs 2 because its so damn long...