Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Expensive day on Friday......

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive day on Friday......

Went out to look at a Plmbg.-Htg. job about 40 miles from home on Fri. am. Just after leaving job, my GMC van quit while driving. Rolled to side of road, tried a re-start, no go, but fuel pump screaming in tank....plenty of fuel. Waited, then tried another 5-10 times. No go. Got on the cell, started calling guys I know w/ ramp trucks and wreckers. Really wanted a ramp truck--van is pretty damn heavy loaded down w/plmbg. gear. Anyway, 1 hr. later, guy shows w/1ton FWD older Ford wrecker. He picked up back of van, squashing both tailpipes (they come out 1 side.) Anyway, 1 hr later, got me home. $150. Called local garage after unloading some tools and stuff from van, they came, another tow, but only 1 mile from home. Pump in tank, of course....Only cranking 2 psi w/new filter. So, they will drop tank, change sender and pump, put back together for Monday afternoon---I hope. Got a '06 4 dr. Ford 4x4 pickup rental today thru Monday. 5.4 V8. Very nice driver. Well, I figure this will turn out to be a $1000 episode, plus losing my whole day's worth of work.....not a good day. WJ
Old 01-28-2006, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Went out to look at a Plmbg.-Htg. job about 40 miles from home on Fri. am. Just after leaving job, my GMC van quit while driving. Rolled to side of road, tried a re-start, no go, but fuel pump screaming in tank....plenty of fuel. Waited, then tried another 5-10 times. No go. Got on the cell, started calling guys I know w/ ramp trucks and wreckers. Really wanted a ramp truck--van is pretty damn heavy loaded down w/plmbg. gear. Anyway, 1 hr. later, guy shows w/1ton FWD older Ford wrecker. He picked up back of van, squashing both tailpipes (they come out 1 side.) Anyway, 1 hr later, got me home. $150. Called local garage after unloading some tools and stuff from van, they came, another tow, but only 1 mile from home. Pump in tank, of course....Only cranking 2 psi w/new filter. So, they will drop tank, change sender and pump, put back together for Monday afternoon---I hope. Got a '06 4 dr. Ford 4x4 pickup rental today thru Monday. 5.4 V8. Very nice driver. Well, I figure this will turn out to be a $1000 episode, plus losing my whole day's worth of work.....not a good day. WJ
ya **** happens i understand. although depending on the cost of the pump itself i wouldnt forsee it costing that much, unless u are counting the tows also. thats why i pay 40 bucks a year for AAA. best of luck to ya WJ, just remember UPSELL after all ya gotta pay off the repair bill.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, I'm talking total for the 2 tows, pump, sending unit, filter, labor to drop the tank and do install, couple of new tailpipes (from the crushing the tow guy gave them, who I'm not going to go after...), and the F-150 3 day rental.($65 per day--even w/my discount.) Pump and sender unit like $215, Repair garage labor will be $300 easy, plus the rest...will see on Monday...just need it back to work. WJ
Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 AM

AAA gold $100 & 100 miles free towing.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A fuel pump died in a GM truck???? Say it ain't so!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

u up and running yet WJ?
Old 02-01-2006, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
u up and running yet WJ?
Got it back Mon. afternoon. Back on the road---cash flowing again. WJ