Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

PA guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default PA guys

I have a question about our emmsions. I have pacesetter long tubes and ended up buying a tsp catted y since i have Slp LM exhaust. Iam lookin into the tsp true duels. Heard they give you the best Hp and sound damn good. now heres the question. Do we really need cats? I have been lookin all over and i see alot of guys without them that live in our state. im just worried if some cop pulls me over and gives me **** for not having them. Thanks.

Last edited by SheaMus; 04-22-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

What is emissions?!? Hahahaha Ummmmmm I dont worry about it for some odd reason

I have FLP LT's and the ORY so if I absolutely need to put the cats in, its a 30 min job.

Good luck
Andy
Old 04-22-2006, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt a cop would be smart enough to look under the car to look for cats ?? And if they are they are probably into cars a lot and they would probably let you slide off i have been pulled over runnin jus my LT's and the y pipe and the cop said nothing about the noise there were not even any tailpipes comin out the back soo.... thats why i said about the smartness issue. I have High flow cats gutted and it sounds no different with them on or just with my straight pipe in their place !
Old 04-23-2006, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

So do we really need cats in our state to pass emissions
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, as long as there are no codes...there is no visual test for 96+ vehicles.

I passed for years without cats. of course if the shop wants to be a dick you have to take it somewhre else.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Restricted User

It's up to the shop you take it to and the individual county's interpretation of the law. As long as you remove AIR from the computer, it won't throw any codes when scanned. So it will pass the computer test. However you are required by law to retain the original "configuration" of the exhaust. I don't think they'd give you a problem about having duals as long as you have one cat and some sort of sound suppression device on each side (or something that appears to be a muffler on the outside). So technically, without cats or at least cat shells, you should fail emmissions. But again, that's up to the shop and how thorough they are.

My suggestion is if you can't keep your car under 5k a year (to be emissions exempt), you should probably look into the removeable cats. Then just delete AIR from the computer. They wouldn't know the difference in that case.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Here's some info for inspection:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.80.html

It might pass emissions, but it will not pass an actual inspection.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

it all depends...when I last got my car inspected...the shop said starting that year they had to check for cats.....so if you want to roll the dice..go ahead, but I wouldn't worry about a cop bustin you for it.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanPazich
Here's some info for inspection:
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.80.html

It might pass emissions, but it will not pass an actual inspection.
Sorry dude...where there is an Emissions Inspection there is NO visual. he will pass with flying colors as long as there are no codes.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Tenured Member

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Sorry dude...where there is an Emissions Inspection there is NO visual. he will pass with flying colors as long as there are no codes.

Clear your PM BOX !!!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

so if i threw tsp true duels on would it throw a code? Do i have to delete anything in the computer?

Last edited by SheaMus; 04-24-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

On a car with the stock cam all you will have to worry about is the rear O2 sensors..they have to be behind cats or have to put sims in place or delete them out of the PCM.

Dont misunderstand...if you get an inspection mechanic that wants to be a dick and not follow the law...you are screwed.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

thanks guys for the help and info
Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Launching!

You will not pass the visual inspection...ask me how I know.
Even though I am EXEMPT (drive less than 5,000 miles/yr), I still have to take the emissions test pass or fail I get a sticker. I pass emissions but fail inspection. The visual is done with the inspection, not emissions.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Z06-Dave
You will not pass the visual inspection...ask me how I know.
Even though I am EXEMPT (drive less than 5,000 miles/yr), I still have to take the emissions test pass or fail I get a sticker. I pass emissions but fail inspection. The visual is done with the inspection, not emissions.
I'll even back you up on that. One of my best friends is a GM master tech, and of course, does inspections. I asked him explicitly what the process entails because i am working on my exhaust system to and i want to make sure i can pass. A visual inspection is required by law. What they are actually looking for in that inspection, however, differs based on the region within PA that you live in.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are wrong...read the law at pa dot or posted above....it specifically says no visual where there is emissions testing. ive had my car pass two years now without cats...no big deal at all. Inspection mechanics that know the law know its a loophole.

(d) Visual inspection of emission control system. Vehicles registered in counties where there is not an emission inspection program under Chapter 177 (relating to emission inspection program), shall be checked visually for the presence of emission control components. These components may be original vehicle equipment or an equivalent aftermarket replacement component meeting the same standards. In addition to the exceptions under § 175.4 (relating to vehicles required to be inspected), this subsection does not apply to vehicles registered as collectible or classic motor vehicles as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. § 102 (relating to definitions
Old 04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Launching!

this subsection does not apply to vehicles registered as collectible or classic motor vehicles as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. § 102 (relating to definitions
Your inspection guy is cool then, he is wrong too, unless your car is a classic
Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Restricted User

(d) Visual inspection of emission control system. Vehicles registered in counties where there is not an emission inspection program under Chapter 177 (relating to emission inspection program), shall be checked visually for the presence of emission control components. These components may be original vehicle equipment or an equivalent aftermarket replacement component meeting the same standards. In addition to the exceptions under § 175.4 (relating to vehicles required to be inspected), this subsection does not apply to vehicles registered as collectible or classic motor vehicles as defined in 75 Pa.C.S. § 102 (relating to definitions
We would need to see Chapter 177 for this to actually be of proof. To see that it does not explicitly say that a visual test is necessary. Even then, as noted in this passage, it differs depending on the county.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z06-Dave
Your inspection guy is cool then, he is wrong too, unless your car is a classic
That subsection does not apply to classic..just to 96+ where emissions is...several mechanics I know are right and follow the "flawed" law....

Anyhow im doen splitting hairs...you all need good mechanics..because if they are giving you a hard time...they are wrong.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Here is the inspection procedure for the exhaust system:

(6) Inspect the exhaust system and reject if one or more of the following apply:

(i) The vehicle has no muffler or noise suppressing system or the muffler has external repair.

(ii) There are loose or leaking joints.

(iii) There are holes, cracks or leaking seams in the exhaust system.

(iv) There is a muffler cutout or similar device.

(v) Part of the exhaust system passes through the occupant compartments.

(vi) The elements are not securely fastened with proper clamps and hangers.

(vii) The exposed exhaust system does not have an adequate heat shield or protective system.