Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Traveling to Canada question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Traveling to Canada question.

Do you need a passport to enter Canada? If so and you dont have one. What other valid id is required?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NO, but a passport is always top of the line. Valid drivers license is all you need and be prepared for a long wait at least in the new england crossings
Old 05-15-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool

Valid DL is all for now...for the western provinces to the western states.. [ my advice is to get a PASSPORT..this is 2006 ]
Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

great...thanks for the info
Old 05-15-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told I needed one when I went in 05.

It's good thing to have anyway.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They gave a guy that went with me last year on a business trip a real hard time without a passport. You're better off getting one. I drove into Canada from NY.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Ya you need a passport now. They changed it in 2005.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

All you need is your DL but, it would be a good idea to get a passport. Not long ago the US annouced that Canadians would need pass ports to enter the US ('08 I believe). I can't imagine that Canada is very happy about this so they may start being alittle more strict with Americans entering.

Edit: Missed 8ALTNG's post. Didn't think you needed one already.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

I also heard if you didnt have a passport, a birth certificate would suffice. Hopefully they will let me back in.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got in and out last summer with a DL but things change so you might want to check with them. I went on the St.Johnsbury side but I dont think it would make a diff.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

This made me think of the story in the late 70s my dad and a ton of friends caravaned up to Canada for some Camping.

Well someone in the car behind was a jokester, when they asked why are you coming he said hes spear head of an invasion...

Well they told my dad and rest of the group to go to this dinner and wait, 8 hours later they met up with this guy who had to tear his car apart *loaded with gear* have his backround checked etc.

Wonder what would happen if you tried that today
Old 05-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
This made me think of the story in the late 70s my dad and a ton of friends caravaned up to Canada for some Camping.

Well someone in the car behind was a jokester, when they asked why are you coming he said hes spear head of an invasion...

Well they told my dad and rest of the group to go to this dinner and wait, 8 hours later they met up with this guy who had to tear his car apart *loaded with gear* have his backround checked etc.

Wonder what would happen if you tried that today

Im not about to find out.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Exclamation

Originally Posted by JSTAN
Do you need a passport to enter Canada? If so and you dont have one. What other valid id is required?

Thanks
New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:
  • December 31, 2006 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • December 31, 2007 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

Coming home will be your biggest challenge!

Some of the border crossings (Thousand Islands upstate New York) have huge by large heavily armed security forces and they ain't the kinda guys that like to joke around!

I cross there 3 to 4 times a month, but I have a CDL which has all my pertinent important info on file with the U.S DOT and that is all I've needed so far.

I did get my 12 year old son and I our passports about a year ago, the cost was 96 dollar$ each @ the local post office!

Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to pass at champlain, bring a DL and a birth certificate, trust me. Ive crossed numerous times, never with just a DL, they can and do turn people back with just a DL.