Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Went to Etown today for the Power Tour........

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 08:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Went to Etown today for the Power Tour........

Bunch of cars there driven from all over, some looked pretty cool, my brother had his '79 Camaro there. There was one old Nova there, ran a 10.0 @ 140 on drag radials and drove from Florida, I was impressed until I got a peek under the hood and saw a twin turbo small block. Car and driver probably weighed less than 2900 lbs. Another 60's Camaro had a big block and 2 of the BIGGEST turbos I've ever seen.............whatever. Alot of all show and no go in my opinion. Clouds came in and it was like the end of the world was coming, people were like running around trying to get there cars covered or outta there, the YEAR ONE crew had about 15-20 guys breaking down the trailor and loading their cars up. They were working faster than a Nascar pit crew to get their cars loaded up so the wouldn't get wet. Sad part is, it NEVER EVEN RAINED!!
It was cool that alot of people drove their cars from all over and they had to be built well to make the trip and make some runs down the 1/4 mile, but the big name cars (like YEAR ONE) were obviously not driven there (BIG *** trailor gave that away) so that was kinda dissapointing. Not my thing I guess.....anyone else go?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just got back from doing the whole tour. Awesome event! The group I was traveling with did a little sight seeing in PA before getting to Englishtown. We hit some rain but never saw rain at any of the stops. That was a great trip!

ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE (1-877-482-9763)
E-MAIL - tbyrne@tbyrne.com

CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR CURRENT SPECIALS and PRICE MATCH PLUS POLICY!

WE HAVE YOUR FORCED INDUCTION NEEDS COVERED WITH - ATI, VORTECH AND MAGNUSON SUPERCHARGERS ALONG WITH STS TURBOS!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tom, it was cool as hell meeting you at the hotel. I should have had you sign my shirt for me but I like wearing it too much!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand protecting ones investment, but I'd like to see the show cars (year one, etc.) make a long trip. Maybe not the whole tour, but a few parts of it would be cool.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I saw (did the whole trip), the Year One cars were driven almost every day from what I could tell. The reason they got loaded up on Friday afternoon was that the show was over and they had another event to go to next week.

As for the all show / no go comment, most people were running on the same street tires and street suspension all the way from Florida. Not too many guys with track gears, tires, suspension to make great runs on the strip. Plus you need to realize that some people were thousands of miles from home, so there was no desire to try and push it and end up breaking.

As for the
There was one old Nova there, ran a 10.0 @ 140 on drag radials and drove from Florida, I was impressed until I got a peek under the hood and saw a twin turbo small block.
That's the Wheel 2 Wheel super sleeper Nova. He ran the entire trip on those tires which were pretty worn out by the time he hit E-town. He couldn't hook up worth a damn. I talked to the driver and he said they weren't even hitting WOT till the 1/8 mile due to traction issues. Also, it's twin super chargers, hence the pully's. Trust me, W2W has plenty of cars able to put the smack down on 1/4 mile times.

I ran in Georgia, and short shifted every gear at 5000 because I had no trailer to tow me home if I broke a rear or anything else. It's not like a normal test-n-tune.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
From what I saw (did the whole trip), the Year One cars were driven almost every day from what I could tell. The reason they got loaded up on Friday afternoon was that the show was over and they had another event to go to next week.

As for the all show / no go comment, most people were running on the same street tires and street suspension all the way from Florida. Not too many guys with track gears, tires, suspension to make great runs on the strip. Plus you need to realize that some people were thousands of miles from home, so there was no desire to try and push it and end up breaking.

As for the That's the Wheel 2 Wheel super sleeper Nova. He ran the entire trip on those tires which were pretty worn out by the time he hit E-town. He couldn't hook up worth a damn. I talked to the driver and he said they weren't even hitting WOT till the 1/8 mile due to traction issues. Also, it's twin super chargers, hence the pully's. Trust me, W2W has plenty of cars able to put the smack down on 1/4 mile times.

I ran in Georgia, and short shifted every gear at 5000 because I had no trailer to tow me home if I broke a rear or anything else. It's not like a normal test-n-tune.
The dull GREEN Nova? If so I stand corrected. I see what you're sayin' about not pushin' it so far from home but you gotta admit alot of those rides are just more show.
I never made a trip that far, especially to make a few passes and drive back so that ya put it that way I see the point, what did you run in Georgia?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:46 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Short shifting at 4500, with a 2.25 60', I ran a 13.4 @ 108 which is the slowest time and mph I have ever run, even when I was bone stock. Am I embarassed by it, nope, not at all considering a Ford GT ran that day and was in the 13s as well at just over 100mph as well.

But you are correct, the Hot Rod Power Tour is more about show than go. Granted, there are people making tons of power, but it's a fine balance between street manners and getting good et's.

That's why I love the Hot Rod Pump Gas drags. Essentially the rules are that you have to drive something like 1500 miles. You can't pop the hood while on the cruise, you can't have a support vehicle following you. You must run the same tire the entire time, etc, etc. I wonder how well some of the cars on this board would do under some of these rules. I can tell you, driving a drag car for that far without having technical issues is tough. Plus having to run on a drag radial for that distance is impressive.

I too would have liked to have seen some better times, but you are right about it being more of a show than go tour. Pump Gas drags, and Drag week is more for the racers that's for sure.

There was though plenty of high HP on the tour. I saw a guy dyno over 1100hp for the first time and it was really impressive. Another guy with a big block in a Gen 2 firebird actually shut down the dyno because he had real short gears (2.xx) and in 4th gear his car hit 211mph and he made over 650hp and was still making power when they shut it down.

I could go on and on about the Power Tour. It was such a cool time and was overwhelming sometimes with how much stuff was going on.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:52 AM
9 Second Club

Both my brothers were on the tour from PA. The middle brother (Rich) couldn't bring his cause it was giving him problems the day before. There were some real nice cars.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
Tom, it was cool as hell meeting you at the hotel. I should have had you sign my shirt for me but I like wearing it too much!
It was nice meeting you also. I walked in and throught hey, I know that shirt!

It was good for people to be able to make some dragstrip passes if they wanted but as a few mentioned, nobody wants to make a hard pass and possible break something. I just took a few in GA. Left easy and shifted early... just in case
Old 06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

As for the That's the Wheel 2 Wheel super sleeper Nova. He ran the entire trip on those tires which were pretty worn out by the time he hit E-town. He couldn't hook up worth a damn. I talked to the driver and he said they weren't even hitting WOT till the 1/8 mile due to traction issues. Also, it's twin super chargers, hence the pully's. Trust me, W2W has plenty of cars able to put the smack down on 1/4 mile times.

^what him said....

there was plenty of go on the tour....just had to be with the right group at any given time.... i didnt run at any of the tracks but it was a differant story on our nations' highways...