11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You heard it here first..

I stated the exact same thing 2 years ago at the Javits Center:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/au...ws/18AUTO.html
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"The Cobalt SS Supercharged ($20,490) does have an overwrought wing on the back, but if you live in the city someone will soon steal that and leave you with a clean-looking little coupe."

lol there ya go mike, if ya ever wanna get rid of the wing just drive it into boston for a night.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:29 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wierd, the SS supercharged does not go for $20K, more like the SS non-supercharged...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:31 AM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. B
I stated the exact same thing 2 years ago at the Javits Center:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/au...ws/18AUTO.html
whatever sells for chevy, sells for chevy. Face it, people like the badges, and if there is a market for it, why not do it?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilstephsls1
whatever sells for chevy, sells for chevy. Face it, people like the badges, and if there is a market for it, why not do it?
Ironically, the new "concept" Camaro can make a big difference *now*.. even though it was discontinued 5 years ago. It looks just like the kid's drawings that I mentioned 2 years ago!!!

Ford has done no better.. the Mustang GT was in big demand- but they couldn't provide them, no T-3650's and hence- no stick cars.

The Shelby will come out.. what little they make.. and dealers are already buying other dealers allocations for $15-20k OVER sticker. $60k to play.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Mr. B!

I can't agree more that the "SS" moniker is being overused! I think that the power of that designation is its association with the great muscle cars of the past. In my opinion, Chevy shouldn't market an "SS" package on any model which didn't carry that designation in the 60's or 70's. Why would a corporation try to capitalize on the nostalgic appeal of an "SS" designation on a vehicle model which did not exist back then? Chevy should look for a modern high performance designation for its newer models (i.e. SVT, SRT, AMG, M-, V- ). Inappropriate use of the "SS" designation does a disservice to both the models with a long history of that designation as well as the newer models which deserve to create their own legacy.

-Ken

BTW, AFAIK there was never a production Corvette which carried the "SS" designation. I think the only Corvette SS's were Chevy "in-house" toys.