Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

almost done...small prob

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default almost done...small prob

so after spending days installing my new motor and finally getting to the point of starting it we run into a small issue...we charged my battery and it appeared to have full juice..then we went to crank the motor but the starter made the noise of clikcing kinda...sounded like it was spinning but not meshing with the flex plate...so i thought it was the battery ...went out bought a new one...now it just makes one little click and thats it...no more meshing noise after the new battery...the only thing i can think of is we lost one of the starter bolts so we used another one around equal length...could that have caused this prob ??? or is it possible its wired wrong...oh and the starter is semi new..came out of a 2001 couple weeks before and was working when it was pulled out...so now im lost...and patiently waiting to try and get my car goin..any help or suggestions would be greatly apreciated...
Old 07-07-2006, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Since you just did a motor swap I would double check all your grounds and wiring.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

i have...its gettin power...its just not engaging the motor...every other light and gauge works...i dunno i might need to bring it to auto electircian ?
Old 07-07-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gman
Since you just did a motor swap I would double check all your grounds and wiring.
ya i was gonna say ground, i would check all your fuses now too
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

you might want to check your positve leads on your battery ive known many gm cars that have problems starting because of a corroded link somewhere along the wire. do you have head lights and dash lights
Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

It could be the part of the starter that forces the gear into the flywheel (I think it's called the stater?). If the gear doesn't move through to the flywheel from where it sits untill you turn the key, it won't spin the flywheel it will just spin whitout engaging the flywheel. Test it, take the starter out of the car jump the starter in a vise with some jumper-cables see if the gear slides out when you charge the starter.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does the motor turn over by hand?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try tapping the starter with a hammer sounds like the starter drive isn't being thrown
BTLFEDSS
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Regular

it did turn by hand....the starter is getting power but it just clicks...we gave it power and it shot up but it didnt spin...that mean its frozen/broken ?? im gonna buy a new one tomorrow see if that works...its just the 2 bolts right? am i missing a shim or smothing that would keep it from lining up ?
Old 07-09-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Long, long ago.... my 1st car in fact at about 17yrs old. Crappy 76 buick with a chevy 350. Anyway, it stopped running on me one day in late fall. Starter wouldn't turn it over. Spent a lot of time on a cold day under the car taking out starter, adding shims, etc because it wouldn't turn over. And then I saw the rod sticking out of the pan.

I know your motor is new/rebuilt/etc. Just a reality check. Can you turn the motor over by hand with a ratchet on the front damper bolt? I don't mean to be negative, hope I'm wrong. Maybe interference with a big cam or something like that.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
TECH Regular

stock cam...i bought the short block a month back and def turned by hand with out to much effort...and it turned while tighting the crank bolt so i know it will still turn...im buyin a new starter to see if thats the prob