Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anybody from Boston MA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody from Boston MA?

Im not from the states, will be visiting boston in august, my wife got a job offer at Boston Univ. Was wondering if theres any info anyone has to make being there easier? best ways for transport? areas for shopping, entertainment, cost of living, were also looking for an appartment there, any info would be appreciated.

thx in advance
Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 PM

Post in the Eastern forum. A lot of the guys on there are from the Boston Area.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

The "T" is w/o a doubt the best way to get around in Boston. It's a train. Basically anyone in New England will tell you Boston is by far the worst city to drive in. Crazy traffic, every street looks similiar, and there is a nightmare of a construction project going on called the "Big Dig" that you want no part of. I find it interesting to drive through, but everyone I know REALLY hates it. Aside from that, Boston is really a great city. Always something going on, and friendly folks as long as you're not wearing a Yankees hat.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 4ced
Im not from the states, will be visiting boston in august, my wife got a job offer at Boston Univ. Was wondering if theres any info anyone has to make being there easier? best ways for transport? areas for shopping, entertainment, cost of living, were also looking for an appartment there, any info would be appreciated.

thx in advance
im about an hour from boston and i spend a lot of time there...def the best way to get around is the T ....it can be done by car but parkin is a nightmare.. also they have cabs 2 so thats an alternative...areas for shopping...tons of places...newbury street is a popular one.. i frequent there sometimes..trendy places and clothing shops etc...cost of living...well an apartemnt in bosotn very expensive...probably double wat ud pay in surounding cities...but its possible...all depends on how much $$$ u wanna drop or have to drop
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

whatsup
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I go to school in Boston. I don't know everything about the city however. What I can tell you is that what everyone is saying about being better off taking the T is right. Most of BU happens to be on Commonwealth Ave (normally called comm ave) which the B train off the Green Line runs along. So if your wife wants the shortest commute possible i guess you could look for places off that line. Rent is expensive all over for the most part. As far as entertainment goes of course theres the Red Sox, but its not likely you'll get tickets. BU just built the Aganis Arena recently so you could see what shows are goin on there. Also, people seem to love the duck tours, Ive never been on one but I guess it gives you a great overview of the city. Other than that if you end up movin here and are around during the winter go see a BU hockey game, prefferably against one of the other Boston schools. It is incredible!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:17 AM
TECH Regular

useful stuff guys, thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm near boston does that count? South shore here. Only advice I have is you better not be a Yankee's fan
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

BU is in a nice area. From what I hear housing is pricey nowadays in Boston, I used to live there in the 80's.